Jeep Bogged down, white smoke and burning smell - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By jeepjeep523
  • 1 Post By jeepjeep523
  • 1 Post By GOLDWING
  • 1 Post By jeepjeep523
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-26-2018, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
jeepjeep523
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: monroe twp
Posts: 84
Jeep Bogged down, white smoke and burning smell

I've had my jeep sitting for about 3 months while it was being worked on (no engine work) and I went to start it and it seemed fine at first. Then there was a horrid burning smell and a plume of white smoke coming from the tail pipe. I pulled it out of the garage to the outside where it was super bogged down. Then it sounded like the exhaust was leaking right before the cat. I opened the throttle and then it just about stalled out so I shut it down.
Checked the oil for coolant and its clean. We did have a mouse get into the garage where we keep cat food. Is it possible that they crawled into the exhaust and made a nest?? I'm taking the exhaust off after work to see if it runs normally again but any suggestions are appreciated.

jeepjeep523 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 11-26-2018, 05:52 AM
brossovitch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeep523 View Post
I've had my jeep sitting for about 3 months while it was being worked on (no engine work) and I went to start it and it seemed fine at first. Then there was a horrid burning smell and a plume of white smoke coming from the tail pipe. I pulled it out of the garage to the outside where it was super bogged down. Then it sounded like the exhaust was leaking right before the cat. I opened the throttle and then it just about stalled out so I shut it down.
Checked the oil for coolant and its clean. We did have a mouse get into the garage where we keep cat food. Is it possible that they crawled into the exhaust and made a nest?? I'm taking the exhaust off after work to see if it runs normally again but any suggestions are appreciated.
Could be the nest in exhaust like you think..
Have you warmed the engine up to operating temp?
Is there bubbling in the radiator?
Originally, one would think you're burning coolant, but you'd not have a burning smell if that was the case..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
brossovitch is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 11-26-2018, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
jeepjeep523
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: monroe twp
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by brossovitch View Post
Could be the nest in exhaust like you think..
Have you warmed the engine up to operating temp?
Is there bubbling in the radiator?
Originally, one would think you're burning coolant, but you'd not have a burning smell if that was the case..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
thanks, the engine warmed up decently, I didnt want to keep it running like that. It was 8pm and pitch black, so Ill check the rad and the crankcase when I get home and can see haha. But believe me the smell was putrid, gagging thinking about it now >__<
jeepjeep523 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 11-26-2018, 06:51 AM
jeepjeepster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,520
Once had some sort of rodent fill a muffler 100% full of dog food... Took me awhile to figure that one out...

1994 ZJ-I6 w/216,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/65,155 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/90,300 mi
jeepjeepster is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 11-26-2018, 11:35 AM
GOLDWING
Registered User
 
GOLDWING's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: eau claire
Posts: 2,380
I would let the cat sleep in the garage until the rodent is cat poop!

GW

"The Dude Abides"
GOLDWING is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 11-26-2018, 01:12 PM
Bossman302
Registered User
 
Bossman302's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: south central NJ
Posts: 209
White smoke and running like crap makes me think of a head gasket.
I hope its a nest.

The Eggplant
Bossman302 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 11-27-2018, 11:15 AM
JonS
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Westbury
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman302
White smoke and running like crap makes me think of a head gasket. I hope its a nest.
Agreed!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


1998 ZJ
4.0
JonS is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 11-27-2018, 02:57 PM
brossovitch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 37
@jeepjeep523 did you figure it out?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
brossovitch is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 11-28-2018, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
jeepjeep523
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: monroe twp
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWING View Post
I would let the cat sleep in the garage until the rodent is cat poop!

GW
Haha they usually do sleep in there in the summer. They sleep in the attached garage in the winter.

I cut the pipe last night and wouldn't you know.. FULL of burnt up cat food! A little peeved since I just did the exhaust about 3 years ago.. but time for the Flowmaster 40 now, the magnaflow was a little too droney.
brossovitch likes this.
jeepjeep523 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 11-28-2018, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
jeepjeep523
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: monroe twp
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by brossovitch View Post
@jeepjeep523 did you figure it out?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk


Yep, FULL of burnt cat food.. I gagged at the smell. It was all the way to the catalytic converter.
brossovitch likes this.
jeepjeep523 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 11-28-2018, 09:42 AM
GOLDWING
Registered User
 
GOLDWING's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: eau claire
Posts: 2,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeep523 View Post
Haha they usually do sleep in there in the summer. They sleep in the attached garage in the winter.

I cut the pipe last night and wouldn't you know.. FULL of burnt up cat food! A little peeved since I just did the exhaust about 3 years ago.. but time for the Flowmaster 40 now, the magnaflow was a little too droney.
Perhaps some sort of anti-rodent screen on the tailpipe? Either that or a hungry cat in the garage.

GW
cpeters1965 likes this.

"The Dude Abides"
GOLDWING is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 11-29-2018, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
jeepjeep523
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: monroe twp
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWING View Post
Perhaps some sort of anti-rodent screen on the tailpipe? Either that or a hungry cat in the garage.

GW
it should be fine once I start driving it in the winter again. It was only down for so long to do a decent amount of work to it.
Chrisjeepyj likes this.
jeepjeep523 is offline  
Reply

Tags
coolant , engine , exhaust , muffler , rough idle

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome