Intermittent stalling - Only when wife drives - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-14-2019, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
BRBauer2
1997 ZJ 

Intermittent stalling - Only when wife drives

97 Laredo 4.0 210k

The last couple weeks my wife has been complaining that the ZJ is randomly stalling on her commute to work (3 miles). Sometimes multiple times. I have had zero issues with stalling when I drive it, and only one stall while idling in the driveway.

I've done new plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor. I have a new ignition coil and crank sensor arriving today as well as a new fuel filter.

While looking at the crank sensor wiring yesterday, I came across this

Going to go to the junkyard and snip a new end off to wire in.

All the things I'm replacing/have replaced from my reading could be likely causes, but why is it only an issue when she drives???

Is there a grounding point by the driver seat that her seating position can have an effect on?

It's to the point now she doesn't feel safe driving the vehicle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-14-2019, 08:21 AM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

why not go to an auto part store (NAPA) and get a replacement connector comes with enough wire lead to make this almost easy.Look at WELLS product

Drive with her - maybe its the time, the stop go, something different, the RPM range, or poor radio channel choice...

Only use a OEM sensor esp for CKP.

Did you check for codes- don't know till you look.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-14-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
BRBauer2
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
why not go to an auto part store (NAPA) and get a replacement connector comes with enough wire lead to make this almost easy.Look at WELLS product

Drive with her - maybe its the time, the stop go, something different, the RPM range, or poor radio channel choice...

Only use a OEM sensor esp for CKP.

Did you check for codes- don't know till you look.
Getting a code for the crank sensor and coil.

Local pick and pull had 1 4.0 ZJ that I was able to get the connector off of and I'll be splicing it on. Going to try that before I throw on the crank sensor.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-14-2019, 11:12 AM
corpseal
1994 ZJ 

Have your wife try driving with only the ignition key inserted, and no other keys or trinkets attached.
You likely have a seriously worn ignition switch, caused by weight of the keyring and keys. That and cleaning up your wiring may be all you need.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-14-2019, 11:14 AM
corpseal
1994 ZJ 

Oh, make sure you use a Mopar cps.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-14-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
BRBauer2
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpseal View Post
Have your wife try driving with only the ignition key inserted, and no other keys or trinkets attached.

You likely have a seriously worn ignition switch, caused by weight of the keyring and keys. That and cleaning up your wiring may be all you need.
I'll try with her keys and see, but we both keep our keys pretty light.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 9 Old 05-14-2019, 03:02 PM
97jeepxj1
2004 WJ 

My wife's was the removable board in the computer. Pulled it, resoldered and it hasn't died since. On the other hand it's developed a trans issue and bcm started acting up. And it randomly decided to start over charging the battery and killed it sooiooo. But hey it doesn't die. I have since fixed most if that save the trans issue
post #8 of 9 Old 05-14-2019, 09:30 PM
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBauer2 View Post
97 Laredo 4.0 210k

The last couple weeks my wife has been complaining that the ZJ is randomly stalling on her commute to work (3 miles). Sometimes multiple times. I have had zero issues with stalling when I drive it, and only one stall while idling in the driveway.

I've done new plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor. I have a new ignition coil and crank sensor arriving today as well as a new fuel filter.

While looking at the crank sensor wiring yesterday, I came across this

Going to go to the junkyard and snip a new end off to wire in.

All the things I'm replacing/have replaced from my reading could be likely causes, but why is it only an issue when she drives???

Is there a grounding point by the driver seat that her seating position can have an effect on?

It's to the point now she doesn't feel safe driving the vehicle.
I had that same problem a couple of years ago. I cleaned the oil off with brake cleaner or something and used Liquid Electrical Tape to re-insulate.

I ended up installing a junkyard PCM after chasing all these other fixes and it has been fine since. I don't remember if re-insulating the wire stopped the stalling for a little while or not. Some "fixes" did, then after a few weeks or a month, the stalling would begin again.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
BRBauer2
1997 ZJ 

Unhooked the battery negative last night and let it sit overnight and swapped in the new ignition coil this morning. Had the wife do a dummy commute with me as a passenger.

No stalling

She then did her actual commute to and from work without a stall

Going to hold off an replacing the crank sensor for now but will still fix that wire harness.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in