Infinity gold head unit replacement - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-02-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Michaelbecker

Infinity gold head unit replacement

Hello,
I own a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited. It has the infinity gold system in it but the head unit no longer works. I want to replace it with a single din unit. I have purchased the metra wiring harness and dash adapter. I have wired in a car stereo before but it didnít have an amp. Can I just wire in a new head unit? Iíve read the the ohms are different and the amp could fry my head unit. Does anyone know where I can find some accurate info on doing this job? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-02-2018, 03:34 PM
riverzj

Find a wiring chart for the amp. You have to splice each wire to bypass the amp. The new head unit will power the speakers on its own, not needing the amp. So you will have to splice the wires from the one side of the amp, that goes to the head unit, to the wires on the other side of the amp that go to the speakers, essentially bypassing the amp. Example: Left Rear speaker wire that's coming from the head unit will have to be spliced into left rear speaker that's coming from the speaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 Old 08-02-2018, 04:22 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelbecker View Post
I have wired in a car stereo before but it didnít have an amp. Can I just wire in a new head unit?

IIRC the gold systems had an amp. As long as the apm is still good just wire in the new headunit. Did that on my moms 01 Durango and that's how my ZJ is. The ohm difference only matters (but only marginally) between the amp and speakers.

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.

post #4 of 18 Old 08-02-2018, 04:48 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

You can keep the amp with a new head unit, and it’s a good plan unless you’re doing a full 5 channel amp.

Just wire up the harness as you normally would. Only gotcha is that the infinity amp uses the power antenna wire to sense power, so you want to hook the remote wire on the radio side harness to the power antenna wire on the jeep side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-03-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Michaelbecker

Holy smokes, the power antenna is what powers the amp! You just opened up my world. My antenna stopped working properly and grinding a bunch so I pulled it up and pulled the fuse. Thanks for the help everyone.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-03-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Michaelbecker

Although, if I install a new head unit anyways, the display in mine no longer lights, and I bypass the amp then I donít have to worry about that power. Is that correct? It means Iíll just have to make sure I have power wires running to the head unit.
riverzj likes this.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-03-2018, 12:29 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Although, if I install a new head unit anyways, the display in mine no longer lights, and I bypass the amp then I donít have to worry about that power. Is that correct? It means Iíll just have to make sure I have power wires running to the head unit.
If you bypass the app then yes you no longer worry about that wire but you are adding in a lot more work to wire in the speakers

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Quote:
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-03-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Michaelbecker

I can get an amp bypass harness for my Jeep from a local audio place. If I bypass the amp wonít I be essentially wiring the speakers to the headunit? Unless Iím not understanding how would that make new speakers hard to install?
post #9 of 18 Old 08-03-2018, 01:21 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
I can get an amp bypass harness for my Jeep from a local audio place. If I bypass the amp wonít I be essentially wiring the speakers to the headunit? Unless Iím not understanding how would that make new speakers hard to install?
I was unaware of a pre-made bypass harness.

But why bypass it if it's still working?

Quote:
post #10 of 18 Old 08-03-2018, 01:24 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I’d just keep the amp if you can, it’s a really good buffer amp.

The amp bypass harness will just take the speaker outs from your head unit and link them to the speakers.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-05-2018, 01:59 PM
riverzj

Quote:

Correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 18 Old 08-06-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Michaelbecker

Thanks for being a helpful group I greatly appreciate it down here in Canada.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-06-2018, 12:13 PM
ricklin

Garage
So the amp does not power up if the antenna can't raise? Pls. let me know.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-07-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Michaelbecker

Thatís my understanding from what people are saying. I have no fuse in my power antenna spot. When I turn on my radio it works for about 5 minutes then dies. Iím unsure if thatís because of the lack of fuse or another issue. Hopefully someone will jump in with more accurate info.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-07-2018, 03:48 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Thatís my understanding from what people are saying. I have no fuse in my power antenna spot. When I turn on my radio it works for about 5 minutes then dies. Iím unsure if thatís because of the lack of fuse or another issue. Hopefully someone will jump in with more accurate info.
A power antenna shouldn't keep the radio from functioning. I'd wager that if it works for X time then dies it's probably a thermal issue inside the radio.

Does the radio ever power back up on its own?

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in