Inexpensive lift advice? 2-4 inch on a 94 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-26-2015, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Merc8
1994 ZJ 

Inexpensive lift advice? 2-4 inch on a 94 Grand Cherokee

I have a 94 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0 in line 6, standard tranny. I want to give it a bit of height, but unfortunately I am on the ol "student budget" so the money is a bit tight.
Is there any advice out there for a cheap lift? Preferably between 2"-4"?Performance is not a huge concern, I don't do a ton of off-roading, just here and there. It is mostly for the looks, and I just want to get it a bit higher off the ground. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-27-2015, 12:09 AM
green98ZJ
1998 ZJ 

There's lots of info in the FAQs thread that I think you will find very helpful. Go on Amazon and check out jeep zj budget boosts. 2 inch spacers is a good option. Or you can keep saving like I should have!

98 Laredo 4.GO, 373s, Magnaflow, ax15, lifted
post #3 of 13 Old 04-27-2015, 12:17 AM
moggie99

1996 ZJ 

Rocky Road's 3.5" lift seems good value - it's what I've just fitted to my ZJ and saves some money by reusing the front springs at the rear.
http://www.rocky-road.com/zj-lift-kit.html

It has a little more roll than with the 2" spacers that I had in there before but the ride is great.

Richard Moss
'98 ZG 5.2L auto ( Austrian built), '96 ZJ 4L auto
In the UK: 1969 MGC GT

post #4 of 13 Old 04-27-2015, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Merc8
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggie99 View Post
Rocky Road's 3.5" lift seems good value - it's what I've just fitted to my ZJ and saves some money by reusing the front springs at the rear.
http://www.rocky-road.com/zj-lift-kit.html

It has a little more roll than with the 2" spacers that I had in there before but the ride is great.
Sweet thanks, I'll check it out.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-27-2015, 12:13 PM
CGlaser
1998 ZJ 

dong a F>R swap will save you money, but i suggest saving and going for a full lift kit. The coils you are swapping are the same age as the ZJ, where as your new ones will be stiffer. BB are a good way to go if you dont want a larger lift and you're not doing a lot of offroading.

I used this kit personally. http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-...p-cherokee/j16

They have a few other options as well. http://zoneoffroad.com/suspension-li...nd-cherokee-zj

Iv had luck dealing with this company, its a sister company To BDS and JKS.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/98-zj-slow-build-1484672/
post #6 of 13 Old 04-27-2015, 02:49 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Just do a 2" BB until you have time and money to do a real lift.

2" will let you run 31's, the 3.5" f>r stuff will let you run, well, 31's. Do a BB, have fun with it, and then think about where you want to end up and build for that. You can waste a lot of time going from BB, to springs, to taller springs, to all adjustable CA's, to a better axle, to long arms, to a better axle again, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-28-2015, 01:06 AM
cruisingram
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did the Iron Rock off road lift- though I had to go with all new springs- cause mine were shot- still cheaper than buying new stock at local parts store!

Word though-the lift is always higher than it says- your old springs and stuff usually suck, and are sagged down a couple inches, and add 2-4" and you really get closer to 6! I will try post pics tomorrow or next day of my jeep.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-28-2015, 05:44 AM
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Stay away from Rocky road anything for zjs. There pics do not represent RRO products. Use coil spring spacers for a two inch lift. Cheap for very limited budgets. Don't go over and get a three inch spacer...the rear spring likes to spit out.

Hunter

04 4.7 HO, limited
04 4.7 HO, Overland

08 Z71 Suburban, front leveling kit with rear spacers. 285/65 18s Nitto TerraGrappler G2s

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4

For your performance needs:

post #9 of 13 Old 04-29-2015, 08:16 PM
cruisingram
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a before and after of my jeep using the rather inexpensive IRO kit- I did have to buy both sets of springs however.
Attached Thumbnails
PART_1430349878520.jpg   IMG_1131.jpg  
post #10 of 13 Old 04-29-2015, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Merc8
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Stay away from Rocky road anything for zjs. There pics do not represent RRO products. Use coil spring spacers for a two inch lift. Cheap for very limited budgets. Don't go over and get a three inch spacer...the rear spring likes to spit out.

Hunter
Where abouts can I find the right coil spring spacers? Also how much $$ are we talking?

Also I don't want DW, so from an installation standpoint, are there any other things I need to do when installing these to make sure nothing goes south on my Jeep?
post #11 of 13 Old 04-30-2015, 01:24 AM
cruisingram
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Iron Rock also sells the cheaper spacer kit. Not a fan of it really. Not the product- the concept.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-30-2015, 09:58 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

If your control arms are original or not recently replaced you should replace all four fronts.

I'd PM Kolak, he can set you up with spacers and good shocks and get you anything else you might need. I suggest going straight to an IRO Double shear track bar up front.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-30-2015, 04:41 PM
rburrow87

1995 ZJ 

Yes, definitely hit up Kolak ([email protected]). Especially since you're trying to keep the cost down. He's a vendor for a lot of different companies, including IRO, and will most likely beat everyone else's prices while helping you pick out the right stuff so you'll be happy with what you do.

Bout the only way to go cheaper is if you can manage to buy a used lift. Could try to keep an eye out for anyone selling off their old 1.75-2.25" lift because that's low enough where you can get away with stock components without too much trouble. Beyond that, you're flirting with replacing stuff like track bars, shocks, control arms, sway bar links... etc. Although you may need to change some of those parts already just due to age, so keep that in mind. Could be better off to save up and kill a few birds with one stone by getting a more expensive lift that replaces most or all of those parts.

Tags
1994 zj , cheap , lift + spacers , lift advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in