Idle issues, stumped........ Misfire p0303 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 Old 01-16-2015, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Nackl87
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So I just may have made a breakthrough! I was screwing around with the jeep today, and noticed it was in one of its good moods. Was idling real nice in the driveway, so im like ' hmmm, seems good, im gonna take it for a spin!'..
Well its good for a few mins, than goes back to crap.. Only thing is, this time I noticed the air bag light went on.. I have also previously noticed that the horn intermittently works, but never mentioned it, as it didn't seem important..

So I think I have a bad clockspring, which I have read can affect idle because it shares a common ground with the tps.. Sound reasonable?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 01-18-2015, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Nackl87
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Alright, scratch that last idea about the clockspring, another strike.. Turns out I had a loose connector @ the steering wheel but even with it disconnected, no change... After looking at it I don't think the ZJ is the same design as the TJ or XJ...
post #18 of 30 Old 01-18-2015, 09:57 AM
Scrubberguy
1997 ZJ 

The Noid light is a good idea, you may have a connection or short in the harness for #3 injector.

Should the noid show good to all injectors I'd pull the distributor, after find a shop that can test it, and have them check it out.

This could be as simple as a bad bearing or bent shaft and have the coil checked or replaced as well.

The ZJ's do not take well to electrical issues, mine had a different coil connector spliced into the harness wit solderless butt connectors and it drove me nuts with stalling issues until I stumbled onto the connectors.

wire on the spliced plug wire two different gauges as well, one was 14 the other 22! The JY replacement I aquirred was 14 gauge on both side and had matching color code on the wires.

I soldered the connector in and stalling went away!

My guess is you have an electrical issue, start with the noid and then search your harness then do the distributor.

post #19 of 30 Old 01-19-2015, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Nackl87
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hey scrubber, I def agree at this point that it is an electrical issue.. I drove it all day yesterday and it was in a "good mood" all day.. Didn't get the rough idle once..
I don't understand the concept of how the distributor could really be a culprit though.. A bad bearing causing enough mechanical resistance to slightly throw the timing off?

I fully intend to do the noid test and vacuum test soon, just been busy..
post #20 of 30 Old 01-20-2015, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Nackl87
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Alright guys, so today I got a hold of a noid light and tested the injector harness. It is not an issue with that.. All injector plugs were acting the same and working fine... The jeep was misfiring the whole time I was testing too.(was fine when I drove to return the noid to parts store though).

I also pulled the distributor and checked that for any play or tightness of the bearings/bushings, and that checked out fine too. No noticeable wear on the cam gear besides normal gear pattern wear.

I did notice today that there is a noise coming from the motor that is really pronounced when it is missing, but gone or much more quiet when its not missing.. It doesn't sound like its coming from the bottom end, but is more noticeable under the jeep/ passenger side. It also doesn't really sound like it is consistent with rpm, more lopey..

I just did a little research about sticky lifters, and this seems like a real possibility at this point..
post #21 of 30 Old 01-20-2015, 05:25 PM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...l#post25262802

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 30 Old 01-20-2015, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Nackl87
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Oh no zeejay, what are you suggesting with that link? That I need to rebuild the top end? I sure hope not, if that's the case there will be a zj going up for sale reeeeeal soon.

Is there no merit to adding trans fluid or seafoam in an attempt to 'unstick' a lifter?
post #23 of 30 Old 01-20-2015, 05:58 PM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

you might do some good with an oil additive, but i've never put much faith in those. never really tried one. do a little research on them. there's a lot of them out there, but i've always regarded them as snake oil. maybe someone else has a better idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 30 Old 01-20-2015, 06:04 PM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

use a stethoscope to pinpoint the noise

post #25 of 30 Old 01-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

I had a similar problem. Ended up being a bundle of wires next to the firewall was resting on a clamp to the ac. After time the clamp rubbed through the wires and was shorting one of them out. I tried everything in the book to fix the code and idle. Finally I was on my way to Florida and I hit a small bump coming out of a rest area... I guess that bump caused another wire to become exposed. And the two shorted out and stalled the jeep and blew the starter fuse.

Anyway... Fixed the wires and everything went back to normal.

Another time I threw a code for cylinder misfire the heater hose into the firewall was resting on the injector wire. Caused a short and the wire was barely exposed.

Just something to look for. Good luck.
post #26 of 30 Old 01-30-2015, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Nackl87
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just wanted to update this, out of respect for those who took the time to respond.
As of now I have pulled the head off the jeep and am taking it in to get a valve job done ( the offending #3 cylinder,as well as #2 intake valves are not seating fully)..
I also replaced the lifters, water pump and some other misc parts when I have the motor ripped this far apart..
I will update again when I get the whole thing back together.
post #27 of 30 Old 01-30-2015, 09:09 AM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Out of curiosity, when did you realize that you had to pull the head? Did you do a vacuum test, and it showed instability? Compression test? Thanks. Sorry you had to go the radical route. Good luck with the repair.
post #28 of 30 Old 02-01-2015, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Nackl87
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Solved!!
I almost don't want to admit this, after doing so much trouble shooting and unnecessary work.

It turns out that the Upstream o2 sensor wiring was fried by my exhaust.. I am really quite surprised that it wasn't throwing any codes..
I think that the wiring was the main issue, but I did also have 2 leaky intake valves ( I'm not sure how big a deal that would have been if I would have found the wiring first).

So, jeep basically has a new top end, new water pump etc, Runs GREAT!!

I really appreciate all the input from everyone.
post #29 of 30 Old 02-01-2015, 10:20 AM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Dont feel bad. It happens all the time. People get lulled into a false sense of security because they think the PCM is some kind of magic device that will automatically tell them what's wrong with the vehicle. News flash... It's not.

Now that it's running great, take time to look it over and be sure there are no similar situations where the wiring can be damaged. It sounds like the wire harness was misrouted or missing a clamp because the OEM location wont allow the harness to contact the manifold.

I really thought I had included this in the article I wrote, but I didnt find it, so I made an edit to include this particular location to check. It's not the first time it's happened and probably not the last.

Glad you got it fixed.

post #30 of 30 Old 02-01-2015, 01:38 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

...and If you ever have anyone work on anything that involves wiring check behind them. I lost a pcm once due to a shop installed rear 02. When my exhaust was installed they left the front 02 connector off the bracket.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off

Tags
idle , jeep , rough

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in