HVAC Foam Seals - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-02-2020, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Some_Anchovies

1995 ZJ 

HVAC Foam Seals

I've been searching for replacement seals for the ZJ as I am replacing the evap core and the heater core, but I've been having some trouble finding good information on the seals. The oem seals are obviously not offered anymore and I can't find aftermarket ones, so I am going to replace the seals with something commonly found from the hardware store. I don't want to do it over again later, so I'm going to replace everything, including the blend and recirc door foam. I've found threads where people have replaced the seals while in replacing the box, but they don't mention what sizes they used. If anyone has done the seals before and remembers what they used, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'm planning on trying to find some 1/4" open cell foam for the doors and some other seals for everything else.

95' ZJ 4.0L, 5-Speed Swap, NP231, 282k
Ex-Master Mechanic-turned-Software Developer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 07:41 AM
LittleFootZJ
1996 ZJ 

I used various thickness of foam from Home Depot for home HVAC. I think the company was Frost King? I may have pictures buried in my phone of the packaging...let me check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 07:47 AM
LittleFootZJ
1996 ZJ 

HVAC Foam Seals

This is the stuff. But this was the largest I bought. I also used 1/4” and 1/8” I believe. Just kind of had to make an educated guess on the thicknesses. Look at the parts it’s attempting to seal and use the thickness that makes most sense. As long as the doors move freely when you’re done than it will be fine. I went overboard on the recirc door and had to redo it because it needed to be a little thinner on the edges to fold properly.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 02:52 PM
1996maroonzjf

1996 ZJ 

Garage
I did the same as posted above. I bought packages of a few sizes and just made the call as necessary depending on the existing sizes. I got 1/8”, 1/4”, and 3/8”.

Be cautious the adhesive is not great on the stuff and is not intended to be used in high heat applications. The heat from the heater core and or sun on a hot day can be pretty intense. I had a pice of the 3/8” come loose and get caught in the fins on the blower motor - killing the motor. It was a 23 year old fan so it may be a coincidence or the needle that broke the camels back, but I could hear the weather stripping hitting / jamming up the fan and I had to rip a section off when I R&R’d the fan.

-Tim
(2) '96 4.0s
#1-'10-'18
#2- HP30/Ford 8.8 - 4.56, OME HDs, 5100's, IRO Adj Arms/Track Bars
post #5 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 07:02 PM
LittleFootZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996maroonzjf View Post
Be cautious the adhesive is not great on the stuff and is not intended to be used in high heat applications.
I should add I also scuffed up the plastic with a scotch brite pad and added 3M spray adhesive to the back of them so that wouldn’t happen. The high strength stuff you would use for headliner or something is what I used because I had it laying around. The adhesive on them is really no good by itself.

post #6 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 07:53 PM
jeepjeepster

I went to lowes, ace hardware, and walmart and just bought whatever foam they had. I might have made a thread around here somewhere. Used permatex spray adhesive on everything, stuff seems to work great.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi
post #7 of 7 Old 06-10-2020, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Some_Anchovies

1995 ZJ 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll grab 3 sizes and just go with what works.

95' ZJ 4.0L, 5-Speed Swap, NP231, 282k
Ex-Master Mechanic-turned-Software Developer

Tags
hvac , seal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in