HP 30 Swap with NO caster adjustments - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-24-2013, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
DjJust
1997 ZJ 

HP 30 Swap with NO caster adjustments

I recently swapped out my LP 30 for a HP 30, I grabbed the adjustments from the donor jeep that I got from the JY. The question that I have is, I didnt put the adjustments in, and it pushed my axle further forward than the LP 30 had. Is this a good thing, If I still had the LP in I would have wanted it to be this far forward, because its even in the wheel well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-24-2013, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
DjJust
1997 ZJ 

I guess what I'm really asking is.... What should the length's be for upper and lower CA's with a HP D30 swap?
post #3 of 6 Old 05-25-2013, 08:29 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjJust View Post
I guess what I'm really asking is.... What should the length's be for upper and lower CA's with a HP D30 swap?
They should be the same for both LP D30 and HP D30, CA mounting brackets are at exactly the same location and spring perches and inner-c's are welded at the exact same angles on both axles.

Then again, if you want to push the axle forward in the wheelwell because of whatever reason you want (most likely center the tires inside wheelwells and gain some wheelbase), you need to set up LCA and UCA lengths so that you've got the desired WB you're shooting for, and proper pinion angle. In other words, if you lengthen LCAs, you most likely need to lengthen the UCAs as well to achieve correct pinion angle. You need aftermarket adjustable arms for this.

If you have stock LCAs and UCAs, you're good to go as is. XJ HP D30s don't have the adjustment system found on the axle mounting brackets on ZJ LP D30s; on XJs micro- adjustment of caster/ pinion angle with stock LCAs is achieved with the couple of bolts and spacers at the back of frame-end mounting bracket.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***

post #4 of 6 Old 05-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Crasher
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Keep in mind that the LCA is for axle position (wheelbase) and the UCA is for castor adjustment. So you position the axle where you want it with the lowers and do what you have to with the uppers to get the angle correct. If you are lifted and on short arms, pushing the axle forward to center it in the well, might create a clearance issue when the wheel is stuffed and swung forward.

2005 LJ, 112" wb, RJ60's, ARB lockers, Fox Coil overs, 40" Creepies
post #5 of 6 Old 05-25-2013, 08:09 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

pull the springs and shocks, jack the axle up to the bump stops, adjust control arms so that your spring perch is exactly centered on the bump stop.
next put everything back together and on the ground, pull the upper arms with a jack sitting under the pinion and get the pinion angle where it needs to be. then adjust the upper arms so that you can get them onto the bushings without much fuss.

we can toss you random numbers all day long, but in the end that's the only way to do it right.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 Old 05-26-2013, 05:00 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
^- my thoughts exactly.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in