2Likes
  • 1 Post By papitt
  • 1 Post By papitt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-15-2021, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
how will my ZJ act to sea level change .

I'm about to haul my ZJ 1995 V8 to New Mexico to go hunting . I live at about 1500 ft sea level but I'll be hunting at about 7000 ft .
.. SO Will this jeep have to Acclimate itself to the higher sea levels ..
I DON'T REMEMBER How these computer work.
We had an old 1985 Chrysler 5.2L NEW YORKER & IT WOULD only gain a 1000 ft per day it seemed.
.. WE CALLED IT A DUMB VEHICLE ..
.......CAN Anyone tell me what to expect from my 1995 XJ.
I'M LEAVING Thursday MORNING Nov .18 about 1AM in the Morning ... JUST After midnight Wednesday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-16-2021, 01:17 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
It's an MPFI system, fill up the tank and drive. Computer adapts automatically based on sensor inputs. Naturally aspirated engines always loose power the higher you go - a few percent for every 1000ft. climbed. Less air, less power..

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #3 of 11 Old 11-16-2021, 07:57 AM
speedbrake
1994 ZJ 

One thing you'll find when you gas up at altitude is the lowest octane fuel available will be 85. Lowest in the flatlands is usually 87. The 85 is fine for your Jeep if you've been using 87 at home.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-16-2021, 10:34 AM
riiz

1996 ZJ 

7000 feet isnt really that high, stick with the 87.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-16-2021, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
I'M GLAD YOU SAID STAY WITH the 87 . I was about to fill it up with 93 in the morning .
post #6 of 11 Old 11-16-2021, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
so You do't think I need to crawl up onto the trailer & crank it each time we stop for Diesel in the haul truck.
As I recall it'll be 550 mile one way. .
We'll be going to Corona .. Ranch is about 50,000ac. this will be our 21 trip I believe . SOME Time we are the only 2 on this Ranch .
WE GOT THIS HUNT Because we stopped & helped an old man who'd broke down on I20. I had the tools with me to fix his issue . bUT We took him about 40 mile to get the parts . I knew where they were. We spent about 6 hours fixing a stranger up.
..... when we finished he said. ... HE Had a little ranch we could hunt if we'd call him.
The rest is History.. HE PASSED AWAY AT 93 THIS JUNE . MY WIFE & I Met his wife in Ruidoso in August & Took her to supper .
... But it's just about like it was back in the 1950's .
It's Western.
1996maroonzjf likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-16-2021, 09:02 PM
hilljacknm
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Good luck on your hunt. I would think your jeep will run fine.

1996 ZJ 5.2
Doug Thorley Headers, Kolak exhaust
B&M 70268 trans cooler
BFG KM3 30x9.50
post #8 of 11 Old 11-17-2021, 01:06 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by papitt View Post
I'M GLAD YOU SAID STAY WITH the 87 . I was about to fill it up with 93 in the morning .
You can use 93 if you want, but it certainly is not necessary. The lower the elevation, the higher octane you need to prevent engine ping/ detonation. Not an issue with a 4.0 or 5.2 though, 5.9s with the more aggressive spark advance are prone to pinging at lower altitudes if using low octane fuel.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #9 of 11 Old 11-25-2021, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
OK Guys I thought I'd fill you in on my trip.
..... OK It's nice to get old enough to just be just be old enough to be able to JUST SAY Thank you LORD . FOR GETTING TO JUST BE ON THE TRIP.
.... We had lots if issues ... But we sure did enjoy our trip. AS WE DIDN'T GET HURT. & We still had the ability to fix what we were handed .
....... Before we left I did $1500. of maintenance to my hau;/pull truck. I have an extra special 2000 Dodge Diesel w/ 340K ON IT'S CLOCK . BUT IT will still pull great.
& We put on 3 brand new 12ply trailer tires onto my 32ft flat Bed that has a 12ft pickup bed camper over the tongue of the goose neck . & The ZJ was loaded on the rear half of the 32ft. There is about 5 ft between both.
.... SO We left Stephenville at 2:00 AM. & HEADED WEST.
... just after passing Abilene kaboom. a Rear Tire on the trailer BLEW ... SO WE PULL ON ON THE SIDE OF THE I20 . blow out was on the passenger side . Thank you Lord . At least it wasn't to cold maybe high 40's & not to much wind.
SO WE GET OUT 2 aluminum Jacks a 3 ton & a 1.5 ton. One lifted the trailer mostly & one lifted the axle ... mostly for safety. 2 OLD 72 & 69 year old man just getting over Covid His strength is not back yet.
SO i'D BUILT A NEW SPARE TIRE RACK ON THE TOP of the gooseneck. But I'd forgotten to bring the wrench to remove the nut holding the tires onto the neck. SO WE DIDN'T PUT ON A GREAT SPEAR.
AS I had 5 spares with us stashed onto our trailer .. SO I got the easiest spare to reach .. Put it on & we took off . only took the old men about 2 hours to change the tire.
SO WE got fuel filled up & Off we went toward where we wanted to eat breakfast .. Well ABOUT another 150 miles KABOOM THAT spare tire we put on BLEW .. so same game again .. & into town we go & We wanted to get those tires replaced there because we knew there was a tire shop across the street from out breakfast location. . SO HE Replaced & put on 2 new tires on the ground ..
... WE NOW HAVE ALL 4 NEW TIRES ON OUR TAILER .
... so we fill up & head out again.. Well pull into Roswell about 2pm . WE AINT going to make it to the Ranch in the daylight. SO WE go to Walmart & get the last minutes items we needed fresh . Meat to cook .. apples .. Beer & Ice & Beer .& A NEW Crescent wrench . .. SO BY HNOW IT WAS ABOUT 4PM SO WE GOT A ROOM AT A QUALITY INN WITH truck parking & a night guard for the parking lot. & A great Mexican food restraint across the parking lot . & they served great Margaritas .
... so Hot shower & free hot breakfast next morning .& we're off & going.
Got to ranch about 12 next day.
WE UNLOADED & JEEP it CRANKED ON 2ND ROLL OVER . Man It ran great the entire trip. .
WE RUINED NO TIRES ON JEEP that was a special gift .. Lot's of rocks to cut the side walls . & I have nice tires on it & I believe they'd be hard to replace .
... SO CAMP IS 5200 FT & TOP OF MOUNTAIN Plato is 7200ft. Road up top is uphill. Man the Jeep has the 249 T/C. IT did great & climbed right up on top. over washouts & we had to move about 40 rocks to keep from center punching some of them. We climbed that road about 5 times. & several more other trails . All with total success .
Old Mossy did great . Only issue was my Buddy kept calling my old Mossy ... Kermit ... In my little boys voice .. His name is Mossy not Kermit ...
...... I believe the Jeep got about 11mpg while crawling the mountains . & WE TOOK IT OUT ONTO A local county road & drove 65 miles just to see where that road went .
& We also drove a road in the National Forest that IS ACROSS the hwy from the ranch .
But my old jeep ''MOSSY'' DID US A FINE JOB. WARM & DRY & COMFORTABLE . RAN 6 HOURS some days. ... It didn't get to 215 or 220 but 3 times & I could just turn into the wind & it had cooled down in 5 minutes .
hilljacknm likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-26-2021, 10:55 PM
speedbrake
1994 ZJ 

Great story! Glad the ZJ held its own. But did u get an elk (or muley, or whatever you were hunting for)?
post #11 of 11 Old 11-27-2021, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
No not a thing .. only the 2nd time we've never even seen an animal ..
We laughed that all we saw was one ground Squirrel & A Boone & Crocket Jack Rabbet.
....But that's the way this old Ranch is .. & The old man told us the 1st year. You'll probably not see anything But if you do it'll be a big one ... & That's the way it's been.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in