How I Saved My 44RE tranny - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 03-29-2009, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
indianajeep

2016 JK Wrangler 

How I Saved My 44RE tranny

Ever since I bought my 96 ZJ limited, 5.2 L in Nov 08, the tranny has performed pretty poorly. When I first got it she would slip when kicked into passing gear. I had the tranny fluid flushed and that problem was cured, but she still took forever to shift from gear to gear. She would also bang sometimes when I let off the accelerator. I changed the tranny fluid a couple more times and added some Lucas, but still, it felt like the tranny was living on borrowed time.

Then I found some posts here on the forum dealing with installing a new valve body.Some of the symptoms that were present because of a worn out valve body were identical to the ones that my ZJ had. So I thought, what the heck, I'll get a new valve body. So I bought a new valve body, heavy duty for the ZJ's towing package, and the ZJ is running like a new Jeep. I mean, man it is like night and day. I was amazed!

The valve body wasn't that difficult to install. The worst part of the swap was taking off and reinstalling the transmission cable linkage. The 2nd worst part of the reinstall was putting that little c clamp back on the parking prawl rod. Everything else was a cakewalk. While I was at it, I added a drain plug to the side of the pan so I can easily and frequently change my tranny fluid.

I bought the valve body from trans_converters on ebay for $249.00, and there was a $150.00 core charge. These guys were great. I needed a governor solenoid for the new valve body and they sent it to me for free within 3 days. These are other items on their ebay store:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant...fromZQQ_ipgZ50

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 03-29-2009, 02:08 AM
Virmagicus
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

_________

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 38 Old 03-29-2009, 03:10 AM
SoCalDevyn
1998 ZJ 

very nice congrats on getting it going again. what were some of the symptoms u had? cause i think i might have to change mine out too

98 ZJ Limited 5.2, Blacked Out, 6.5" IRO Long Arm, 15x8 Pro Comp 97's, 35" MTZ's, Custom Front Bumper, Rusty's Disco's, KOR Light Bar, 8000K HID's, Magnaflow, CB, 5% Tint, System, TJ Gas Bezel, JKS Rear Trac Bar, Rusty's Front Trac Bar, KOR Stabilizer, Cold Air Intake, E-Fan, RCX Diff Guard, Clayton Brake Lines, MSD Ignition, Gen Right Louvers, Custom Sliders, IRO Belly Skid, Rigid Lights

post #4 of 38 Old 03-29-2009, 03:16 AM
RrCoX22

2000 XJ Cherokee 

what do you mean it took forever to shift? would the RPM's just rise without acceleration or would it just max out the gear and take time shifting into the next one? my tranny is jerky from 1st to 2nd but seems to be only when cold

2000 XJ Cherokee 4.0L Sport
post #5 of 38 Old 03-29-2009, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
indianajeep

2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RrCoX22 View Post
what do you mean it took forever to shift? would the RPM's just rise without acceleration or would it just max out the gear and take time shifting into the next one? my tranny is jerky from 1st to 2nd but seems to be only when cold
Most of the time it was slow to shift when cold. But sometimes, not even that made the difference. She would sit at 2200 rpm forever and then snap my neck when she shifted. and then there was that nice little ka-thud thing the torque converter would do around 20 mph if I let my foot off the gas pedal. Now all of those problems have stopped. She shifts smooth as silk every time and there is no "ka-thud" thing going on from the torque converter. I probably should take her into the stealership and trade her in now, cause she just doesn't act like a Jeep anymore "God will get you for that, Walter," Maude said. (my name is Walter).

post #6 of 38 Old 03-29-2009, 09:46 AM
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Just out of curiosity, did you attempt to adjust the TV cable before you replaced the valve body?

Want to swap an NP242 or NP231 into your ZJ? Here's how:

post #7 of 38 Old 04-05-2009, 10:22 AM
[email protected]
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Can you tell me a bit about replacing the VB? I have done it before on a Ford Explorer..
I would like to know the bolt pattern for the VB? the Torque for the bolts?
I would really like to find some detailed instructions, but I have not been able to find any.
I hate to buy the ASTG manual for this trans , just to replace the VB.. Any info or pointers would be very much appreciated.
post #8 of 38 Old 04-05-2009, 11:03 AM
baxy

IF you can change an A4LD VB then you can do a 44RE in your sleep
VB bolt torque is 100 in/lbs the toughest part is dealing with the E clip on the park rod
post #9 of 38 Old 04-05-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
indianajeep

2016 JK Wrangler 

Tough parts are removing the transmission cable linkage; the two bolts are a little tough to get off. The park rod clamp is a challenge too. I wonder if there is a special tool made for that puupy that hold it in place while you are trying to press it on. YOu have to watch out for the plastic piston assembly and 2 springs that are right above the valve buddy. They come out when you lower the valve body. It is really not a hard job. Just more time consuming than it should be because of that cable linkage.

post #10 of 38 Old 04-28-2009, 03:09 PM
[email protected]
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Need a little help please?

I am ready to lower the VB on my 42RE and have a couple of questions..
My first is, what linkages do I take loose before removing the VB? In the picture below, do I remove that bolt and is that it? Cane you point me to anything from the picture? Or does someone have a schematic of what to take loose?

second question is this rod? I suppose it detaches from something as I lower the VB? Can I do this with 3 hands?

Thanks for all and any help. Using your experience , vs. me learning by doing is the best move everytime! You guys and gals know your Jeeps!

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-28-2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added " and Gals"
post #11 of 38 Old 04-28-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
indianajeep

2016 JK Wrangler 

If I remember correctly, there are 2 bolts on the bracket - the one is in the picture is one of them, and you have to loosen them for the bracket to come off. Regarding the rod, as you lower the valve body, the parking rod will start coming down with it, still connected to a short post with an "e" clamp. The "e" clamp isn't too hard to remove, but it's a little challenging to get back on - but not impossible. It's not a hard job at all. My tranny improved 100 % after I changed the valve body and then adjusted the throttle valve cable.

post #12 of 38 Old 05-02-2009, 02:31 PM
[email protected]
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Never mind the below post... I figured it out! Comes loose at the top... I got confused because the VB I bought to replace this one still had the rod attached to the top... So I imagined that was part of the replacement,,, duh,,,

HELP

I can't get the rod loose? does the rod come off the top of the valve body? or the other end, ?
I am confused.. The valve body is loose and I can't figure out how the rod comes off. I thought some sort of linkage slid out that I could disconnect, but I can't get anything to slide out..

Does this make sense?

anyway, I'm stuck.. please help

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-02-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: new information
post #13 of 38 Old 05-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Robi
1996 ZJ 

Ok, newb question. How do I know if I have a 44RE tranny?

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
I6 auto
post #14 of 38 Old 05-09-2009, 04:34 PM
TMCXJ
1996 ZJ 

42re in your 96 w/I-6.
Same as mine.

"...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." Thomas Paine
post #15 of 38 Old 05-10-2009, 08:22 AM
ttavenieriii

what tranny would i have no tags no marking
i hav a 94 grand cherokee laredo 4x4
automatic has over drive, i-6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in