Horrible shaking sometimes when hitting bump in road.... - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By LordHobbit

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-27-2020, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Bdrew

Horrible shaking sometimes when hitting bump in road....

So I'll be driving and sometimes when I hit a pothole, railroad tracks or some other sort of bump in road the Jeep will start shaking horribly and doesn't seem to stop until I slow down to under 25 mph... Any ideas on what the cause might be or how I might fix this??

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thx

-B

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-27-2020, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Bdrew

Oh forgot to mention this is on a 1995 grand Cherokee ZJ 4.0 V6 4 wheel drive
post #3 of 5 Old 05-27-2020, 03:20 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I suggest looking under the hood, it's not a V6 but an inline..

As for the shaking, you're experiencing death wobble. Most common cause especially on a stock height Jeep is worn front trackbar (bushing and/ or rod end), or trackbar bracket mounting hole ovalized.
Other causes for DW are worn TREs, bad shocks, incorrect steering and suspension angles, uneven tire wear, unbalanced tires, incorrect tire pressure, etc..

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***

post #4 of 5 Old 05-27-2020, 07:23 AM
LordHobbit

1993 ZJ 

Please fill out your Jeep profile. You can see Timo's profile just under the image of his awesome Jeep. This will help us help you.

Grab a buddy. Or two, whatever. Without starting the engine, have one buddy sit in the driver seat. Crawl under the front end of the Jeep and while buddy turns the steering wheel left and right and back again and again and again ... look for any joints in the suspension and steering that don't move like they should. No joint should have slack in it. Take some notes on what joints are moving incorrectly. Those are the parts that NEED replacement. Very likely all wear parts should be replaced and possibly some things will need repaired that can't be replaced (cue the trackbar mount holes). Check the control arms as well. They are less likely culprits, but don't discount them.

Hope you have a bit of savings. Kolak and/or Rockauto can be your friend. [email protected] or pm here. Rockauto.com

In your favorite internet search engine, search for "death wobble" and you'll find millions of results. The best advice will come to you on this thread.
Timo_90xj likes this.

93 red ZJ 196k 4.0. Spent more money than I should have ...
post #5 of 5 Old 05-27-2020, 11:50 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Like Lordhobbit mentioned, have a friend/ relative turn the steering wheel left-right-left with the engine off - you under the Jeep feeling every joint and bushing in the steering linkage and trackback with your hands. Visual check is not enough, you need to get your fingers dirty so you can feel where the play is.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in