Hey you WJ Grand Cherokee types who have replaced your front speakers... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-23-2007, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey you WJ Grand Cherokee types who have replaced your front speakers...

The passenger-side front speaker in my wife's 2002 WJ has blown. How do you get to it to replace it? Does the defrost vent piece it's underneath just unsnap and it's underneath? I'm an old stereo/audio guy but unless that top piece just unsnaps, it looks like it could be a nightmare replacing that front speaker. I hardly drive it and she's working most weekends (real estate) so when I finally get ahold of it to replace the speaker, I need to make it a fast job so any help here will be much appreciated.

No speaker recommendations are needed, she doesn't listen to much more than the news or talk radio so I'll just install suitable replacement. TIA!

When you have a choice, buy American made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-23-2007, 05:45 PM
skain8

2002 WJ 

the top of the dash (defrost vent piece) pops off with a putty knife and the speakers are held in with 2 screws. takes less than 5 min.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old 08-23-2007, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Oooohhhhh AWESOME, that's great news that I won't have to disassemble the dash! Thanks for your help very much!

post #4 of 12 Old 08-23-2007, 06:03 PM
nierace

2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Oooohhhhh AWESOME, that's great news that I won't have to disassemble the dash! Thanks for your help very much!

At least not until the blend door goes

Nickerdoodle
03 WJ 4.7 242HD Kolak/IRO 5" Clayton LA's
35" BFGoodrich KM2

North East Offroad Club

post #5 of 12 Old 08-23-2007, 06:16 PM
ras2001wj

2001 WJ 

Are you just replacing the tweeters or replacing them with a component set? The dash "Tweeters" have a far broader frequency range than standard tweeters (to help with the mid ranges not covered by having a 6x9 in the front doors) and without a new crossover can (and will) damage the replacement tweeters unless they have a built in crossover to cut out the mid range frequencies. If you keep the front 6x9's, you will notice a loss in md ranges which by personal preference may sound too high pitched in the dash and too low pitched in the doors, due to the frequency loss.

best bet is to find a quality 6.5" component set and rewiring them directly to the head unit (amp has built in crossover that pushes the wrong frequency range for the new speakers crossover to handle)

I would go to a reputable audio shop and ask their opinion, they may try and push a $3000 complete audio system off on you, but turn that down and say you only want to find a set of tweeters with a comparable frequency range.

All In all, I'm a perfectionist, so I may get way too complex in this
Good luck,

Rick

2001 WJ Laredo 4.0
2" BB
245/75R16

Ron Paul
"Freedoms Popular"
post #6 of 12 Old 08-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Two Hawks
2001 WJ 

A 7mm socket & mini ratchet makes R&R a snap. I took the speakers out and removed the black cloth cover to expose the speaker material and ran a small layer of ultra blue rtv around the perimeter of the speakers edge. Reglued the black cover and they work fairly well, just let the rtv cure for a day and you're go to go.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Briandl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras2001wj
Are you just replacing the tweeters or replacing them with a component set? The dash "Tweeters" have a far broader frequency range than standard tweeters (to help with the mid ranges not covered by having a 6x9 in the front doors) and without a new crossover can (and will) damage the replacement tweeters unless they have a built in crossover to cut out the mid range frequencies. If you keep the front 6x9's, you will notice a loss in md ranges which by personal preference may sound too high pitched in the dash and too low pitched in the doors, due to the frequency loss.

best bet is to find a quality 6.5" component set and rewiring them directly to the head unit (amp has built in crossover that pushes the wrong frequency range for the new speakers crossover to handle)

I would go to a reputable audio shop and ask their opinion, they may try and push a $3000 complete audio system off on you, but turn that down and say you only want to find a set of tweeters with a comparable frequency range.

All In all, I'm a perfectionist, so I may get way too complex in this
Good luck,

I'm sure that's all necessary for her to listen to talk radio....

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L H.O. V8
post #8 of 12 Old 08-24-2007, 07:06 PM
ras2001wj

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandl

darn, didn't read the whole post

Rick

2001 WJ Laredo 4.0
2" BB
245/75R16

Ron Paul
"Freedoms Popular"
post #9 of 12 Old 08-24-2007, 07:23 PM
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandl

Playing a tweeter with sub-tweeter frequencies not filtered out will blow the tweeter very fast, and the OP will be replacing tweeters more often than he thought.

If what ras2001wj said is true, I suggest more investigation into a suitable replacement set is in order.

-Matt

White '94 YJ Sport
Green '94 XJ Sport - 57,000 Original miles

post #10 of 12 Old 08-24-2007, 07:45 PM
JG_Canuck
2000 WJ 

I'm with Two Hawks. Speaker glue on the surrounds FTW!

I did both speakers at a total cost of $5.99 (for the speaker cement) and a time investment of about 20 minutes...
post #11 of 12 Old 08-24-2007, 08:24 PM
BucYouUp68
2013 JK Wrangler 

I blew the passenger side, I have the Infinity Preminum Sound System. I replaced both with MB Quart Tweeters with Crossovers. They Sound Awesome, with no issues.

Features
0.75" Titanium tweeter
Separate Crossover
Power Handling: 50 - 100 W
Impedance: 4 ohms
Sensitivity: 1,5 W (90 dB/1m)
Frequency Response: 4.800 - 32.000 Hz
Crossover Frequency: 4.800 Hz
Crossover Slope: 12 dB/octave
Balanced Temperature Technology is used in the tweeter
A light bulb is incorporated into the crossover network to extend the life of the tweeter by protecting it against overloading
Tweeter with a 0.75” titanium dome and an extremely small footprint
Multi-purpose mounting accessories are included
Compatible with all Reference Series speaker systems

$139.00

Why is there a fish finder in your Jeep?

Not hard, if you have a socket wrench and the mental capacity of a ham sandwich.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-24-2007, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_Canuck
I'm with Two Hawks. Speaker glue on the surrounds FTW!

I did both speakers at a total cost of $5.99 (for the speaker cement) and a time investment of about 20 minutes...
What, are you guys saying the cone itself may just be blown?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in