help with a short - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-09-2015, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
BaileysZJ
1994 ZJ 

help with a short

OK so I was driving home from work the other night and I heard a small pop and my dash lights went off. (it was obviously a fuse) so I figured no big deal ill change it soon enough. Replaced the fuse and when I turned on the headlights it immediately blew two more times. I know this generally means that there is a short in the parking lamps and automatic headlamp systems but where do I start? would I be better off searching by hand or buying some sort of power probe device that "tells" me where a short in a wire is. Any advice is greatly appreciated! P.S I added some basic info to my profile so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! thanks, BaileysZJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-10-2015, 01:15 AM
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Does it pop the fuse when headlamps come on, or park lamps? Seems like it would be the park lamp fuse since you lost the dash lamps. Check trailer wiring first if you have any under the rear bumper. Might have to pull lamp lenses and inspect wiring and bulbs too.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-10-2015, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
BaileysZJ
1994 ZJ 

It's when I turn my headlights on, it immediately pops. My headlights and taillights work. However when my taillights should be constantly on because the headlights are on they aren't. Also my shift instrument panel, HVAC panel, and gauges are dark.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-10-2015, 10:22 PM
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Well, without going through the vehicle and finding connectors in the harness it might be easiest to start unplugging bulbs related to the problem. Since the fuse blows when turning the headlamps on and not park lamps I would start with inspecting the headlamp bulbs and harness, may sure pins/connectors are good and not melted. If there isn't an obvious problem see if the fuse blows with bulbs disconnected then if needed try plugging in one at a time and checking fuse. If fuse keeps blowing with bulbs disconnected then you need to start going back through the harness all the way to the switch. Look for pinch or rub areas, or areas near damaged body panels, modified parts or aftermarket parts.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-11-2015, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
BaileysZJ
1994 ZJ 

Hopefully the bulb trick works. I'm going to try doing that today
post #6 of 7 Old 06-11-2015, 04:12 PM
howdyratz
1997 ZJ 

I've seen water in lamp assemblies short like this too.

Keep an eye out for a soggy lamp assembly. They shouldn't be.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-13-2015, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
BaileysZJ
1994 ZJ 

Got it fixed!! Turned out to be a fuel pump relay. After trying all the bulbs and connections I could possibly find (even to the ashtray). I don't know how or why it was a relay for the fuel pump but I'm just glad it's fixed so I can drive at night

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in