Help me. Understand - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-14-2020, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Tomcorr
1995 ZJ 

Help me. Understand

What is the difference between the 249 transfer case (Quadra-trac). And the 242 (selec-trac) which was supposed to be more common in 4.0 Laredo’s. Which I have.

Which is better? Which one will last longer?

95 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-15-2020, 01:05 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcorr View Post
What is the difference between the 249 transfer case (Quadra-trac). And the 242 (selec-trac) which was supposed to be more common in 4.0 Laredo’s. Which I have.

Which is better? Which one will last longer?
The 249 operates in full time all of the time except when in 4low.
It uses a viscous coupler to transfer power as needed. The split is 90 rear 10 front normally so it's almost rear wheel drive.
In 4 low it operates like any other of the two cases. This is for 96-98 only. 93-95 is different.
The 242 full time mode is gear driven and inferior to the viscous coupler in the 249. It also has a thinner chain. The rest of the settings are the same as the 231. The viscous coupler wears out over time and needs replacement and you must maintain your tires because mismatched or improper inflation can wear out a viscous coupler sooner.
It's all personal preference. When my viscous coupler started to wear out I swapped a 242 but I rarely if ever use full time mode. I'd probably just get a 231 next time as they have aftermarket support to beef it up.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 01-15-2020, 06:41 AM
Noble One

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I'd probably just get a 231 next time as they have aftermarket support to beef it up.
Why a 231? What advantage does it have? And what can be beefed up in it?

post #4 of 4 Old 01-15-2020, 07:37 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
It's worth noting that the '96-'98 is 10-90 front/ rear bias under normal driving conditions, but can split the torque about 50/50 when wheelslip occurs.
'93-'95 is 50/50 initial torque split.
242 full time is a fully open 4wd mode, so if you have one tire on ice and three on dry pavement, you're not gonna move anywhere with the 242 in 4FT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble One View Post
Why a 231? What advantage does it have? And what can be beefed up in it?
Smaller in size than a 242/249, it has less moving parts than a 242 so it's more reliable, and it can be beefed up a whole damn lot at fairly affordable price.
As a construction, 249 is just as simple as the 231, it has a wider chain and generally is very strong. 242 is the worst of all three regarding reliability and strength.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in