Help me help my brother. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-13-2006, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Jeepinjon
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Help me help my brother.

Hi guys, I'm from over on the Yj forum but my brother asked for help with his XJ. I guess I need to know what axles they put on a 96 G.C. Laredo V8. And where/how much for a universal replacement split boot? He also said something about a new axle but I couldn't figure out whether he meant the outter housing or the axle shaft. He's not a car guy and I didn't get to talk to the mechanic...he's in North Carolina, I'm in PA. Any help or suggestions are great appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-13-2006, 04:22 PM
anticrombie

1996 ZJ 

Xj is the regular cherokee's. ZJ/WJ/WK are the GC's.

If you meant zj, it's the dana 30 with either the dana 35 or the dana 44a.

Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 05-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

The 96 Grand Cherokee is designated ZJ, as opposed to the Cherokee, which is an XJ.
The 96 ZJ has CV joints on the front axles, which is why he is needing to replace the boot. I imagine he has a torn boot. If it has been torn long enough, the CV joint has probably been ruined.
A replacement split boot costs about six bucks in most places. IMHO it isn't worth even that much. With a split boot, you simply wrap the boot around the shaft and then glue the seam closed. This means you don't have to pull the shaft to replace the torn boot. This is a great idea on paper. However, experience shows it is pretty much impossible to keep the CV joint grease off the mating surfaces of the boot. This means the glue will not properly weld the seam closed, which means failure of the new boot in pretty short order.
Pulling the half shaft is not overly difficult, and the CV joint can be properly cleaned, inspected, and repacked before installing a new single piece boot. This is the preferred method. A new single piece boot will run as much as 25 dollars, but often less. Finally, if the CV joint is ruined, he can purchase an entire new half shaft for as little as 55 dollars at Advance Auto or as much as 120 dollars (approximately) at NAPA.
HTH

Warren
Black 1996 5.2L ZJ Limited

post #4 of 6 Old 05-14-2006, 09:06 AM
Swamp Boy

1993 ZJ 

Yeah.. What Warren said..

Or you can hit a bone yard and pull the shafts out of any TJ or XJ that doesnt have vacum disconnect axles and change the Ujoints and slide them right in..Thus eliminating the CV all together..

Just another soccer moms Grocery getter....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-14-2006, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Jeepinjon
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. So he can put a single piece boot on instead of the split? I guess everywhere he went they only had the single piece. As for the mix up on the letter designation, I'm sorry. Never been too good with that.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepinjon
Thanks guys. So he can put a single piece boot on instead of the split? I guess everywhere he went they only had the single piece. As for the mix up on the letter designation, I'm sorry. Never been too good with that.
No worries, just making sure we are all talking about the same thing here.

In order to pull the axle shaft, he'll have to remove the wheel, brake caliper/rotor, and bearing hub assembly, then slide the half shaft out. Not too difficult.
HTH

Warren
Black 1996 5.2L ZJ Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in