Help - Jeep dead, code 11 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-10-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Help - Jeep dead, code 11

I was in a parking lot and the jeep just died and will not start. Turns over, no spark, no injectors but fuel at the rail. PCM is saying code 11. Fuses ok, and so are the relays. I tried to replace the camshaft sensor (under the distributor) but still the same thing. Can the crankshaft sensor throw a code 11? Anything else? What all would throw a code 11? Its a '95. Thanks! - Jeremy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-10-2015, 01:47 PM
Oldfrog
2007 WK 

If I'm not mistaken, that's a crank sensor code ( for a 97....not sure about the 95.)

Here's how to test the crank sensor: ( yours might be 8 volts instead of 5, btw.)

2007 5.7 Hemi, Ltd. QD II -
1997 ZJ, 4,0 select trac, Up country, track lok.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-10-2015, 02:59 PM
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Code 11: No distributor reference signal detected during engine cranking. Check the circuit between distributor and the PCM

Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 -89
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 -90 (partsjeep)
Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 -93
Chevrolet Silverado 2500 6.5TD -94
Chevrolet C20 6.2 -82

post #4 of 8 Old 05-11-2015, 12:54 AM
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

Both my girlfriend and I had the same problem and it was the crank shaft sensor both times, i think it more or less picks up the movement on the fly wheel and tells when to spark. Mine was bad i had no spark but I was getting fuel
post #5 of 8 Old 05-11-2015, 02:10 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Per the OBD1 code list for 93-95 in the FAQ's seen below.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...6/#post5980112

Code 11 - No Crank Reference Signal At PCM (Crankshaft Position Sensor)

Good crank sensor test/video posted by Oldfrog and here's another good test.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/jee...crank-sensor-1

As the test mentions pull the coil wire and I'd remove it altogether. Plus to disable the fuel injectors pull the fuel pump relay in the PDC.

On the 93-95 the crank sensor, cam sensor, and VSS all have 8V of power supplied them unlike the 96-98 OBD2 with 5V.

If your crank sensor does test bad only go with a Mopar crank sensor since we've seen problems with many aftermarket ones. Good luck.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #6 of 8 Old 05-11-2015, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for the info, the reason I am asking is because code 54 says "54 - Sync Pick-Up Signal Not Detected (Camshaft Position Sensor/Ignition Pickup)" so I assume code 11 is different. I did find another post on another forum that said code 11 could be for either sensor so I was wondering if anyone could confirm that. I already replaced the camshaft sensor and now I have the instructions to test the crankshaft one but I am guessing its bad. Also I am slated to replace the transmission so I may just do that and the process has me changing the sensor anyway. Thanks! - Jeremy
post #7 of 8 Old 05-11-2015, 12:10 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

YW and you will find some different interpretations on different code lists, just like the one Pierre posted earlier and not saying it's wrong.

Did you actually pull up both 54 and 11 codes or are just asking about them? The cam and crank sensor work in close conjunction with each other in supplying info to the PCM for setting timing/correct firing of spark as the injectors inject fuel.

The crank sensor is probably the most finicky sensor of all of them while often not throwing a code if bad. It's also the sensor most likely to go bad if not supplied with a good ground from the PCM.

First thing you should do is clean all your grounds on the battery terminal, ground next to the battery on inside fender, and all your engine grounds. There's 2 grounds on the coil studs which are best to clean from underneath and probably one on your oil dipstick tube bracket.

There's a simple resistance test for checking the crank sensor with a meter in my signature. This is less complicated than the other tests but has worked for me in telling if my crank sensor was bad.

While the crank sensor is hard to change out if it's bad it's best to remove the one 11mm/7/16" bolt from underneath with long extensions and a swivel on the socket.

I would not replace your trans in the middle of a no-start condition since you're going to be moving the wire harness around while disconnecting connectors which will just confuse the problem. Fix one thing at a time and good luck.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

&
post #8 of 8 Old 05-14-2015, 06:50 PM
JohnnyZJ

2007 JK Wrangler 

code 54 is pickup coil/camshaft sensor in the dizzy.
code 11 is the Crank CPS.

i see its been answered for you

been there. done that. both times

07' JKUR rollin on 35s

Tags
dead , ignition , sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in