Help ID an older lift - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 10-13-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
nick613

Help ID an older lift

Hey all I bought a 98 ZJ 5.9 as a parts truck. It has a lift on it looks like lift springs + small spacers to me... Has control arm drop brackets too. Its on 33x 12.5s and measures about 19" to the crease on the unibody compared to my other ZJ that measures 14" on 30s stock. Wondering if anyone can help ID the lift and help me determine if its worth reusing.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 10-13-2019, 04:13 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick613 View Post
Hey all I bought a 98 ZJ 5.9 as a parts truck. It has a lift on it looks like lift springs + small spacers to me... Has control arm drop brackets too. Its on 33x 12.5s and measures about 19" to the crease on the unibody compared to my other ZJ that measures 14" on 30s stock. Wondering if anyone can help ID the lift and help me determine if its worth reusing.

Rocky Road Outfitters

https://www.rocky-road.com/jeep.html

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
post #3 of 32 Old 10-13-2019, 04:19 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Most of that looks pretty rusty. Based on the surface deformation of the springs (at least what I can see) I'm not sure I would want to reuse that. Sad as those are likely Old Man Emu springs. I asked about the control arm drop on here once before and I was advised against it though I dont remember the reason given.

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.

post #4 of 32 Old 10-13-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
nick613

I think the rust on the springs is just scaly surface rust that I could take care of with a wire wheel, same with the drop brackets. The drop brackets do seem quite solid too, they go all the way back to the transmission crossmember and bolt through that. Keep in mind Im in Ontario Canada and these things see salt on the roads. I found that the bumper is from 2012 and imagine the rest of the lift is about the same age. The rust on the shocks bothers me the most.

post #5 of 32 Old 10-13-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
nick613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Puddles View Post
Rocky Road Outfitters

https://www.rocky-road.com/jeep.html

Are those good quality lifts? Ive never heard of them

post #6 of 32 Old 10-13-2019, 07:15 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick613 View Post
Are those good quality lifts? Ive never heard of them

Old Man Emu products are legendary. There was a time when OME was THE product to have.

As for the RRO products they arent bad. About 2 years ago I put a set of their roof rails on my dad's WK.

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #7 of 32 Old 10-13-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
nick613

Ok I guess it would be the OME springs + spacers, since Im pretty sure OME are only a 2" lift with the springs right? Id be planning on reusing all this after cleaning up/painting and adding adjustable control arms. Right now the wheels are way off center in the wheel wells

post #8 of 32 Old 10-13-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
nick613

Did a bit of looking around with the rocky road outfitters stuff and I think this is the lift. https://www.rocky-road.com/zj-lift-kit.html The 3.5 OME with the front springs sent to the back and spacers to make it 4.5" they just didnt get the adjustable control arms so thats why the 33x12.5 had clearance problems

post #9 of 32 Old 10-13-2019, 08:51 PM
firebane
1998 ZJ 

Interesting been interested in those drop brackets and seeing this might be more interested.
post #10 of 32 Old 10-13-2019, 10:05 PM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Drop brackets are a great way to lose chassis clearance. Just get a basic long arm setup like IROs and you will be better off.

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #11 of 32 Old 10-13-2019, 10:10 PM
firebane
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
Drop brackets are a great way to lose chassis clearance. Just get a basic long arm setup like IROs and you will be better off.

800 for drop brackets and arms
1200+ for 3 link long arm

The amount of ground clearance lost is negligible unless your rock crawling. For most people drop brackets and short arms work fine
post #12 of 32 Old 10-13-2019, 10:24 PM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Don't need to rock crawl to drag the bottom of these rigs, The longer wheelbase allows for dragging the bottom on washboards and relatively mild trails. I would NEVER recommend drop brackets. And you can get the IRO CP kit (front) for like $600 and add quality springs and shocks for a bit more. WAY better setup for even the mild trails most traverse.

Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #13 of 32 Old 10-13-2019, 10:35 PM
firebane
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
Don't need to rock crawl to drag the bottom of these rigs, The longer wheelbase allows for dragging the bottom on washboards and relatively mild trails. I would NEVER recommend drop brackets. And you can get the IRO CP kit (front) for like $600 and add quality springs and shocks for a bit more. WAY better setup for even the mild trails most traverse.
Not all of us live in the states and have to exchange rates and crazy shipping prices. So we do what is affordable and works.

If you're finding a way to scrape drop brackets in what you call mild trails, I would like to see what you are doing to get the frame that close to then ground.

But that is a completely different topic and let's not further derail this.
post #14 of 32 Old 10-13-2019, 10:37 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
@nick613 . Can you get more pics of the drop brackets? I'm curious how they built the top mounts.

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #15 of 32 Old 10-13-2019, 10:42 PM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebane View Post
Not all of us live in the states and have to exchange rates and crazy shipping prices. So we do what is affordable and works.

If you're finding a way to scrape drop brackets in what you call mild trails, I would like to see what you are doing to get the frame that close to then ground.

But that is a completely different topic and let's not further derail this.
Understood...

Here is an example pic of why breakover angle is important in a rig the length of ours...

https://i.imgur.com/eQPKCbL.jpg

Thats why I don't recommend drop brackets.

Doug Patton
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Think about it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in