Headlamp Assembly Replacement - Lessons Learned - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-11-2013, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

Headlamp Assembly Replacement - Lessons Learned

I recently replaced the headlamp assemblies on my ’96 Grand Cherokee and wanted to share with you lessons I’ve learned. Before I get into the details, here is the bottom line:

1. Purchasing a product marketed by Omix-ADA does not necessarily add value to the item you would actually receive.

2. Headlamp assemblies manufactured by TYC are of acceptable quality and a good value.

Now for the details. When I purchased my Jeep in 2007 the factory headlamp assemblies had already been replaced with aftermarket units manufactured by DEPO. These had developed leaks and the previous owner used some sort of glue to try to seal between the lenses and the housings to keep water out. Over time this glue had failed and the housings would get a small amount of water in them when I washed the Jeep. Also, on the back of the housings there was a place for a vent, but DEPO had sealed the opening. Therefore, it would take a long time for the moisture inside the housings to entirely evaporate.

I had heard of Omix-ADA from a few sources (off-road catalogs, magazines, and commercials on automotive TV shows), so I presumed it would be a good source for Jeep parts. I easily found the headlamp assemblies I needed at 4 Wheel Parts ($72 each) and Summit Racing ($70 each). So when I saw them on RockAuto.com for $62 each, I thought I was getting a bargain and bought the pair.

When the parts arrived I was surprised to find that I had been sent headlamp assemblies manufactured by TYC, in TYC cartons with TYC labels, with additional Omix-ADA labels attached to the cartons. Here’s the rub: I bought “Omix-ADA” headlamp assemblies from Rock Auto for $62 each, and Rock Auto sells the TYC assemblies for only $17 each!

The TYC assemblies had their name and part number molded into the lens. A protected vent was installed in the upper portion of the back of the housings. They also included new 9004 bulbs and retainers (which was a good thing because one of my old bulbs came apart when I tried to remove the electrical connector). The TYC housings installed without any problems.

I don’t know if Omix-ADA only sells headlamp assemblies manufactured by TYC, or if they rotate their suppliers whenever they see fit.

I didn’t check the price at the Jeep dealer. But a couple of years ago I had to replace a fog lamp and the aftermarket unit was MUCH less expensive than OEM. However, we are now comparing foreign parts to American parts.

Just for reference, here are the part numbers for a domestic 93-98 ZJ:

Right (passenger) side
DEPO 333-1109R
TYC 20-3070-00 (replacement for OEM 55055118AB)
Omix-ADA 12402.06

Left (driver) side
DEPO 333-1109L
TYC 20-3071-00 (replacement for OEM 55055119AB)
Omix-ADA 12402.07

I will be keeping the “Omix-ADA” assemblies. I did not want to go through the hassle of getting a return authorization from Rock Auto, packing them up, paying the freight to ship them back, waiting for their delivery to Rock Auto, waiting for a credit, then buying the TYC parts. I just hope some of you learn from my experience and save yourselves the money in the future.

'96 ZJ, 4.0L, 42RE, NP242, stock D30 and D35-LS w/ 3.73, 4-1/2" lift, 32" BFG ATs, Magnaflow, JKS track bars and disconnects, spare tire carrier, Optima red top, ROLA roof rack, KC SlimLite driving lights, CB and Yaesu ham radios, GPS

Last edited by ZJJay; 05-15-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Added P/N info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Giallo
1998 ZJ 

I have to replace both my headlamps. TY for sharing your experience.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-11-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

I also suggest applying silicone grease to the mounting pins before pushing the housing into place.

'96 ZJ, 4.0L, 42RE, NP242, stock D30 and D35-LS w/ 3.73, 4-1/2" lift, 32" BFG ATs, Magnaflow, JKS track bars and disconnects, spare tire carrier, Optima red top, ROLA roof rack, KC SlimLite driving lights, CB and Yaesu ham radios, GPS

post #4 of 14 Old 05-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Giallo
1998 ZJ 

Yes, it seems to be a good idea. Is it difficult to place the higher pin? Because on my ZJ this pin goes back when you push it and it's not easy to put the headlamp in place.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-11-2013, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

I didn't have any real problems inserting the upper pin. Since it's an adjusted pin, it does move a little. I pushed on the back side of the adjuster with my finger and got it to snap in. I did have to align the sliding socket in the back of the housing to meet up with the pin. I had to push it up with a screwdriver on the first housing. On the second I slid it to the top before trying, then had to push it down only a little. It's easier to push the socket down than pull it up when the bottom two pins have already been inserted.

post #6 of 14 Old 05-11-2013, 02:42 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

Another thing you can do to make it a lot easier to replace the headlights is to remove the grille (4 screws) and the side marker lamp on the side you are working on. It makes it easier because you can see exactly when the rod seats in the mount.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #7 of 14 Old 05-11-2013, 03:09 PM
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giallo View Post
Yes, it seems to be a good idea. Is it difficult to place the higher pin? Because on my ZJ this pin goes back when you push it and it's not easy to put the headlamp in place.
The top adjusting screw gear was stripped on mine too and wouldn't stay where I adjusted it. It would push back and forward like that. Very easy to replace the little mechanism. Junkyard for almost nothing.

Edit: might have misunderstood your post.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

yo vivo. yo voy. yo soy. Jeep.
I live. I ride. I am. Jeep.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

ZJJay, I would bet TYC makes many different quality headlamp assemblies because of the different part numbers/prices in doing a search. And I'm not talking about the vendor part numbers many online retailers assign. So you may have received higher quality TYC headlamp assemblies than those which are only $16.72/each at Rockauto.

Agree though it's pretty rotten of them to substitute another brand of headlamp assembly with no explanation when you thought you were purchasing Omix-ADA brand.

I purchased the below TYC headlamp assemblies from Amazon a couple weeks ago and paid $34.70 each. Believe these may be better than the TYC model on rockauto, or 2 for $25 on Amazon, but you never know unless you could compare them side-by-side.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We just had a discussion in installing these headlamp assemblies in the below thread. And yeah, I goofed by not supporting the back of the adjuster when snapping into place and ended up breaking one. Although I glued it back together the adjusters are still available at the dealer for around $10.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/n...uster-1516169/

Thought HighLonesome offered a real good tip at the end of the thread on using a heat gun to warm the clips when removing and installing so they don't break.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 14 Old 05-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Giallo
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantheheeler View Post
The top adjusting screw gear was stripped on mine too and wouldn't stay where I adjusted it. It would push back and forward like that. Very easy to replace the little mechanism. Junkyard for almost nothing.

Edit: might have misunderstood your post.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

It is not the top adjusting screw but the upper pin that maybe has a spring behind and so it's very difficult to place the headlamp, you have to use a screwdriver for a help as ZJjay told.
I don't know if all models are the same: mine is a 5.9 with headlamps regulator inside the car.
Sorry for my terrible English but it's not easy to discuss about such technical matters in another language.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 07:38 AM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The euro head lamp assemblies are actually rather different.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

post #11 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Is it the top left or right pin that is giving you trouble?
They are easy to replace.
There are only 4 parts that looks like this:

They go together something like this in the headerpanel:

And this clip is what holds the adjusting rod and the gear that the rod goes in to:

But i had to destroy the junkyard headerpanel i found them on to get them out.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 08:48 AM
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

All the parts can be carefully released and replaced without breaking the header panel.

I tried that once... even with all new parts they still work like crap.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

ok thats good to know.
I am going to see if can have the gears made in metal instead, maybe they will work better and dont strip so easy like they do now.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

Just for reference, here are the part numbers for a domestic 93-98 ZJ:

Right (passenger) side
DEPO 333-1109R
TYC 20-3070-00 (replacement for OEM 55055118AB)
Omix-ADA 12402.06

Left (driver) side
DEPO 333-1109L
TYC 20-3071-00 (replacement for OEM 55055119AB)
Omix-ADA 12402.07

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in