getting the doors off - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 49 Old 10-06-2005, 10:44 AM
mawardjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother
Does anyone know how and where to mount mirrors without the doors? Its so hot here over the summer id love to be doorless.
Before I made my tube doors, I made a bracket for some TJ mirrors (in addition to the stock TJ bracket that the mirror screws into) and bolted that to where the door bolts to the body.

now with my doors on, the mirrors are just bolted to the top bar minus the stock TJ bracket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 10-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

As I am recovering from surgery, I must thank you all for having my back. You guys rock!

I've been in GC's with the doors off. It was great. I'd do it to mine, but the kids ride with me too much! Makes the wifey mad! Oh well. Good luck, I'd love to do the Swampy thing, but it might be a bit breezy and cold on the ride to Fairbanks. Yes, I'm driving there. I figured with traveling to MN then on to AK, it's like 4,000 miles. I need windows for that drive!

Woody
1985 1 ton K-5, Detroit diesel, 36" tires (going bigger when money permits), 4-speed manual swap, Rockwell T-case, Hybrid lift, 12.5K winch.
post #33 of 49 Old 10-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited77
Dont threaten me pal, I can post my opinion however I see fit. There was no belligerence on my part.

Im not the one being hateful. What other vehicles do you see on the road with their doors off besides a wrangler? From what I have read it seems pretty hard to get the doors of a grand off. why do you think that is? gee maybe because its not supposed to be done perhaps??

I happen to OWN a 2001 Silver Cherokee Sport AND a wrangler. I so I'm not slamming anyone's vehicle now am I?

I simply made a comment that if you want a Wrangler, buy one. If taking the doors off is so hard maybe you shouldn't? (a conclusion the original poster came to on his own by the way.)

"There is only one jeep" was referring to the versatility of the wrangler. meaning the doors come off with ease as well as the top etc.

Dont threaten me and dont pick fights. Just because you cant read tone in text doesn't make me "hateful."

And as for the original posters question: IMO I wouldn't bother taking the doors off. Its not easy enough to be worth the trouble.

Out.
BTW, I have seen several Scout's, Bronco's, Blazer's, 4Runner's, XJ's and a few CJ's (they aren't Wrangler's) running down the trails without doors. Just wanted to point out, you can take the doors off of anything if you want to.

It's funny you slammed yourself. Your original post said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited77
Heres a no brainer! - BuY A WRANGLER!
"There's only One Jeep!" (And it aint a cherokee)
So your second vehicle isn't a Jeep. Bummer. If there was only ONE Jeep it would be the old ones that used to be used by the armed services.

He hasn't decided not to do it, yet. He may or may not. It's up to him. If he does that is great. If he doesn't that works as well. It's easier to feel the AC when the doors are on.

Don't make comments on something you don't know about. Removing the actual door is easy. Playing with the wires is what gets us. And if you haven't heard yet, the 07 Wrangler is getting the option of power windows, and four doors. Making it harder to remove them as well. Oh well, there goes the neighborhood.

I like being on drugs, it puts me in the greatest of moods.

ZJ333, take your doors off and have fun with it. It's a blast!

Woody
1985 1 ton K-5, Detroit diesel, 36" tires (going bigger when money permits), 4-speed manual swap, Rockwell T-case, Hybrid lift, 12.5K winch.

post #34 of 49 Old 10-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Swamp Boy

1993 ZJ 

I made half doors for several reasons... The first and formost is my copilot hated driving with the doors off.. It freaked her out..

Here is a picture of her when we where taking the Ferry home from a ride back in the winter...

When I crank the heater I can stay warm.. Of course Louisiana winter means low 40s at the coldest...

Secondly ...If I made tube doors and I rolled over I might stick my leg out.. These will stop you from doing that...

Third.. I keep my factory mirrors... Meaning ....Power mirrors and half doors...

I am all about the bling...

Just another soccer moms Grocery getter....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 49 Old 10-06-2005, 06:04 PM
randyszj94

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Boy
I made half doors for several reasons... The first and formost is my copilot hated driving with the doors off.. It freaked her out..

Here is a picture of her when we where taking the Ferry home from a ride back in the winter...

When I crank the heater I can stay warm.. Of course Louisiana winter means low 40s at the coldest...

Secondly ...If I made tube doors and I rolled over I might stick my leg out.. These will stop you from doing that...

Third.. I keep my factory mirrors... Meaning ....Power mirrors and half doors...

dood i love your jeep =)
post #36 of 49 Old 10-06-2005, 07:13 PM
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmanwoody
BTW, I have seen several Scout's, Bronco's, Blazer's, 4Runner's, XJ's and a few CJ's (they aren't Wrangler's) running down the trails without doors. Just wanted to point out, you can take the doors off of anything if you want to.

It's funny you slammed yourself. Your original post said:

So your second vehicle isn't a Jeep. Bummer. If there was only ONE Jeep it would be the old ones that used to be used by the armed services.

He hasn't decided not to do it, yet. He may or may not. It's up to him. If he does that is great. If he doesn't that works as well. It's easier to feel the AC when the doors are on.

Don't make comments on something you don't know about. Removing the actual door is easy. Playing with the wires is what gets us. And if you haven't heard yet, the 07 Wrangler is getting the option of power windows, and four doors. Making it harder to remove them as well. Oh well, there goes the neighborhood.

I like being on drugs, it puts me in the greatest of moods.

ZJ333, take your doors off and have fun with it. It's a blast!

Unlimited won't be back for awhile unless he registers under a different username and as mature as he seems, he'll refer back to this and I'll have to take care of it again.

Hunter

04 4.7 HO, limited
04 4.7 HO, Overland

08 Z71 Suburban, front leveling kit with rear spacers. 285/65 18s Nitto TerraGrappler G2s

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For your performance needs:

post #37 of 49 Old 10-06-2005, 07:50 PM
randyszj94

1994 ZJ 

you da man texas....now lets go muddin while its raining outside!...dang its dark send me some lights plz!!!!
post #38 of 49 Old 10-06-2005, 08:04 PM
mr_user

I had my doors off for GSE this year in June. I loved it, and installation/removal was very simple. We did it (rather inebriated) with only two guys.

So I have my doors off and the first 100 feet of our starting trail was an extremely muddy and off camber slope. I got high centered and stuck. I was spinning the tires wildly in the mud and needless to say was getting knocked in the face with pure VA mud as I poked my head out of the Jeep to take a gander. My interior was a coat of mud, but I couldn't help but smile as it was a great wheelin' moment. Wish I still had those pics..

My point, take the damn things off it's awesome.

Matt

Old: '96 ZJ 4.0, 32" MT/R's, 4.5" Lift, Mickey Thompsons, JKS Disco's

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
post #39 of 49 Old 10-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Swamp Boy

1993 ZJ 

Thanks Randy.. Its been a long way coming.. I finally have it where I want it...Except I want to trim the front bumper a bit and maybe build a back bumper... But I wont change the overall jeep until I get everything together to do a 60 Front and 14bolt rear ... Then I will probobly build some long arms and put on 38's or so...

I have a line on a Military CCUV (Chevy Blazer....It has the axles I want and they are geared 4:56 already..)I can get it for a very good price.. I just have to get my wife to agree with me putting it in my front yard and tearing it apart...

post #40 of 49 Old 10-06-2005, 08:41 PM
ZJ_COWBOY

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Boy

That guy in the blue van is probley like "What in the hell???"

RIP 93' ZJ
RIP 98' Dodge Neon

2001 Neon getting 30 MPG w00t!
94 ZJ $200 Project.
post #41 of 49 Old 10-07-2005, 05:50 AM
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

The guy in the van is swamp boy. The grand belongs to his neighbor.

Hunter

04 4.7 HO, limited
04 4.7 HO, Overland

08 Z71 Suburban, front leveling kit with rear spacers. 285/65 18s Nitto TerraGrappler G2s

Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4

post #42 of 49 Old 10-07-2005, 07:53 AM
Swamp Boy

1993 ZJ 

Shhhhhhh...

Come on Hunter.. I am trying to make people think I am cool..

Actually on that ferry ride I had three people come up to me and ask if they could take pictures with my Jeep..

One guy sat in the drivers seat while his buddy stood on the back..

Then the guys girlfriend just stood next to it.. I guess she didnt want to get dirty..

That mud was very fresh. It is only about 1 mile from the mudhole to the ferry..

Now back on topic...

If you get a spare set of doors you will have the best of both worlds..Protection like a full door but a huge window hole...

You get about twice the air flow thru that cut out as you do from rolling down your window....

post #43 of 49 Old 07-01-2006, 06:27 AM
VTMurphy

I found this thread because I am helping a friend who wants to be able to cut power to the interior lights while he has the doors / rear hatch open and I think I found all the info I needed . Just wanted to comment that the few times I have dropped in on the Grand forums you guys have impressed me with the creativity I have seen here . You guys have put a lot of thought into modding you vehicles and I've been amazed at some of the solutions you have come up with .
Keep up the good work !
post #44 of 49 Old 07-01-2006, 07:12 AM
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Thanks.

I love re-reading threads

Hunter

04 4.7 HO, limited
04 4.7 HO, Overland

Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4

post #45 of 49 Old 07-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Swamp Boy

1993 ZJ 

We are glad you appreciate our work...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in