Gasket Sealer / RTV on Intake Gaskets? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-27-2020, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
chetzar

1994 ZJ 

Garage
Gasket Sealer / RTV on Intake Gaskets?

Good Morning!

So I've been working on my replacing the intake gaskets and my plenum gasket (for the second time now) during some spare time and was curious: Should I use gasket sealer or RTV on the intake manifold gaskets? I know some folks will use a thin coat of RTV on both sides of a paper gasket (and some use gasket sealer), but should I use either on the intake gaskets? For gasket sealer, I was thinking something like Permatex 80019, from what I understand, it "holds" the gasket in place and remains flexible while helping seal some minor imperfections in the metal surface.

Any thoughts or experience with this would be greatly appreciated. The last time I replaced these gaskets (~8 years ago / 25k miles ago) I did not use either and am wondering if either a small bit of RTV on the gaskets or gasket sealer would have given a better seal.

Thanks!

1993 ZJ Limited - 4.0
1994 ZJ Limited 5.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-27-2020, 08:22 AM
jeepjeepster

I've only done 1 intake on a 5.9 and only used RTV in the corners. Nothing anywhere else. If the surfaces are nice and clean, idk why it would be needed.

Could be wrong, but I think the 80019 is used for threaded fasteners. They do make a product that helps seal/hold the gasket though.

You could use the copper spray that seems popular. I've used it on exhaust gaskets just to make sure they seal well.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi
post #3 of 10 Old 05-27-2020, 08:52 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

I've done a few. I've used the right stuff on all of them. I just use a few dabs on the gasket to keep it in place. I don't use the front and rear gaskets. Only a thick bead of RTV.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 10 Old 05-27-2020, 12:18 PM
Rldsl

RV is not a gasket sealer, rather a gasket replacement. Copper coat, gasgacinch, Hylomar, etc work great as sealers. Leak free joints, next person in there behind you will curse the day you were born .
post #5 of 10 Old 05-27-2020, 02:10 PM
paulsheer2
1993 ZJ 

Garage
Just did a video on this:

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

93 ZJ 5.2, 3.58 stroked. 242 swap. 2.5" lift. dozens of mods.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-28-2020, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
chetzar

1994 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I've done a few. I've used the right stuff on all of them. I just use a few dabs on the gasket to keep it in place. I don't use the front and rear gaskets. Only a thick bead of RTV.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
I didn't have any issues with the front or rear seal leaking, but I might do that this time around instead of the trying to using them in combination with the RTV in the corners.

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

1993 ZJ Limited - 4.0
1994 ZJ Limited 5.2
post #7 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 04:53 AM
V8GCZJ

Quote:
I don't use the front and rear gaskets. Only a thick bead of RTV.

Not a good idea! Use them and make sure you have an adequate amount of sealer for them and the water ports on the side gaskets. I use this only(good stuff!)
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8187.../dp/B0002UEOPA
post #8 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 07:43 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8GCZJ View Post
Not a good idea! Use them and make sure you have an adequate amount of sealer for them and the water ports on the side gaskets. I use this only(good stuff!)
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8187.../dp/B0002UEOPA
The technical:
The cork end gaskets are fine for stock applications. The RTV method came from and is recommended by every aftermarket manifold manufacturer I've experience with. Cork requires a fairly specific amount of compression to seal well without splitting. That means the end rail gap has to be just right. That gap is set by the stack up of the tolerances between the block and head (head gasket), head/intake flange position laterally in relation to the block, the intake to head (intake gasket), and the accuracy of machining the intake. If the head or block have been milled or the gaskets are non-stock or the intake isn't OEM, that gap can be pretty far off. RTV doesn't care, cork does.

My 2 cents:
I had a friend assemble a long block and the intake had negative end rail clearance. The intake had to be machined to allow enough gap for even RTV.

I used to use the cork gaskets (admittedly I've never had a Magnum, this is other V8 experience so grain of salt) but the cork always split on me and fell out. Been using Ultra Black RTV for years now and no failures.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 07:52 AM
jeepjeepster

I used the seals that came with the felpro kit and they seem to be working fine. Keep in mind, I only drive this jeep 4-5 times a year. The felpro kit did not use cork gaskets.

Here is the permatex product I mentioned above. I assume its similar to gasgacinch, which Ive used before and it seems to work great.

https://www.autozone.com/fluids-and-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi
post #10 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
chetzar

1994 ZJ 

Garage
This is the Permatex 80019 I was referring to above. Based on what I have read/researched, it basically does the same thing as the High Tack that jeepster linked.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...0019/7740018-P

I'm more concerned about the area around the cooling jackets, as those seem to be what failed on the intake gaskets previously (aside from the plenum gasket, which leaked on the passenger side).

1993 ZJ Limited - 4.0
1994 ZJ Limited 5.2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in