Fuel Tank leaking after fillup! Help Pls! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
slowride99

Fuel Tank leaking after fillup! Help Pls!

Well, I don't know what else can go wrong with this Jeep. I purchased it 10 days ago and I now have a serious issue. After filling up the tank last night, I smelled gas in my driveway and sure enough there was a small puddle under the tank. It stopped after I drove it to work today which used up around 2 gals of gas.

What should I do? Is there another "known issue and fix" for this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 03:14 PM
steelstr45
2004 WJ 

It's impossible to tell over the internet, but if you can get underneath, you may be able to see where it's coming from. There's a shield over the gas tank for offroading and stuff. Where it stopped after you went to work, it may be a hole high up in the tank, and when it went below that point it stopped leaking.

It could also be a hole in the fuel filler neck (the tube that goes from the gas filler hole to the tank). If you notice it only after putting gas in, I would suspect this.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Mopargearhead

If someone installed a new fuel pump, the rubber gasket may have rolled when they installed the pump into the tank. Those type of leaks normally show up when the tank is full. Also check the hoses going to your filler tube for leaks. If you need a good Jeep mechanic, my buddy has a small shop in Loganville and I can give you his information if needed.

post #4 of 13 Old 11-18-2009, 01:23 AM
eshew
1993 ZJ 

Ahh yeah good ol gas leak.

So this happened to mine when I replaced the pump. What I did at 1st (WRONG!) was to put the seal on the pump and then place both into the tank.

What I should have done and did to solve the problem was th place the seal (fully seated) into the hole, then gently slide the pump through the seal till all was flush.

Takes about 1-3 hours to get everything done depending on what goes wrong. Used a hammer and punch to remove the ring that holds the pump/seal down ( atleast to get it moving)

Its a fix you and a buddy + 6 pack can do. If I remember correctly I had to buy a 18mm deepwell to remove the hitch. And I had to replace one of the long hanger bolts for the tank strap as I messed it all up.

The leak could be coming from somewhere else as well. Should be obvious if you drop the tank.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-18-2009, 02:25 AM
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

i had a different issue than the fuel pump seal. my filler neck (where you stick the gas nozzle) apparently rusted through and made a hole. every now and then at fill up it would leak gas out of that hole when the tank was about full. and right before i got it replaced, when id take left turns gas would pour out that hole

something to think about/look for

John - 29 and learning
5.9 ZJ and Evo 9
post #6 of 13 Old 11-18-2009, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
slowride99

Ok, thanks for the ideas. I'll get under it Friday and see what I can find? Looks like I'll have to drop the cover at least to see my way around under there. Too bad there's no door from the topside to check all this out like on my old BMW. Maybe the diff. is the open storage vs the closed trunk storage area.

Thanks again.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-18-2009, 12:43 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

that cover is what holds the tank up on a wj. there are no straps above it.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 13 Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 PM
toniastorm
1997 XJ Cherokee 

My last fill up I had a nice puddle of gas. We dropped the tank last weekend to see where it was coming from to find out that the components on top of the tank are actually loose. I called the dealership & the guy in the parts department said it's the seal. The service guy said he doesn't know nothing without checking himself & that would cost me $400 plus in labor... WTF!!! Can someone please tell me if this is truly a seal or gasket issue??! I have the machanic to fix it I just need to know what I need to get.... PLEASE...
post #9 of 13 Old 07-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Technohead

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstr45 View Post
. . . It could also be a hole in the filler neck (the tube that goes from the gas filler hole to the tank). If you notice it only after putting gas in, I would suspect this.
Agreed. The filler neck on my "new to me" ZJ was leaking and I pulled about 6 of them from other ZJ's looking for a replacement. ALL of them were similarly rusted with holes. I ended removing the rust and brazing in some new tube.

-Eric

post #10 of 13 Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Jeff8989

All right
post #11 of 13 Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 PM
clevbuckeye
1995 ZJ 

On my last ZJ, I had 3 inch pipe all the way back leaving no room for the fuel tank heat shield. well when the exhaust wore there were holes on it where the rear pipe runs over the rear axle and actually melted a whole in the damned tank! So anywhere close to full it would leak. I always find it handy to take a nice sized piece of plywood at least 1x1 on the jack and put it up just enough to put presure on the tank, that may make it easier to find the leak.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-05-2019, 05:24 PM
DonaldFrancis

I had a problem with my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition with 4.7 liter engine. Every time I filled up my gas tank it would leak out a bunch of fuel till I started to drive and then it would stop leaking. After a couple years of this problem I also started to have a problem with the motor acting like it was starving for fuel. So I replaced the fuel filter/fuel regulator that is located above the axle and in front of fuel tank. After this replacement, I no longer had a problem with the fuel leaking out after fuel fill ups. I hope this simple repair can be helpful to someone out there, because issues like this can be very frustrating. Other than this, I Love my Jeep and am hoping to buy another newer one some day soon, because I like JEEPS.........
post #13 of 13 Old 06-11-2021, 12:29 PM
emad333

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldFrancis View Post
I had a problem with my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition with 4.7 liter engine. Every time I filled up my gas tank it would leak out a bunch of fuel till I started to drive and then it would stop leaking. After a couple years of this problem I also started to have a problem with the motor acting like it was starving for fuel. So I replaced the fuel filter/fuel regulator that is located above the axle and in front of fuel tank. After this replacement, I no longer had a problem with the fuel leaking out after fuel fill ups. I hope this simple repair can be helpful to someone out there, because issues like this can be very frustrating. Other than this, I Love my Jeep and am hoping to buy another newer one some day soon, because I like JEEPS.........
I've only experienced the fuel leaking issue in my '01 GC Limited 4.7L. I replaced the fuel filter / regulator and it seems to have stopped my issue. All my hoses were good, no cracks in the tank and gasket didn't appear to be leaking. I did end up cleaning all the dirt off from the fuel pump ring/gasket area and went ahead and scraped all the dirt from the skid plate as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in