Front two intake manifold bolts snapped off...need advice. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 Old 05-24-2013, 01:34 AM
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

I think you may need more heat...get them/the area cherry red if you can...vice grips ussaully tend to make it a last resort type thing as you will ruin what bolt you have sticking out...worse case you will probly end up drilling it out all the way....good luck

Oh and keep this in mind..that area gets alot of heat through normal use, so 2 minutes with a propane or mapp gas torch probly wont cut it...spend some time heating it..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 05-24-2013, 08:24 AM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Those would respond really well to welding a nut on there. Know anyone with a 110v mig or wire feed welder that can do that for you?

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 30 Old 05-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Candymancan
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcity1 View Post
Hey guys...doing the plenum fix, and the front 2 manifold bolts snapped off. PO had 2 different bolts up there! I have NO idea why!
Anyway...they both snapped off...any ideas on how to remove them from the heads? I know the usual method of drilling them out and using EZ outs...but that's not working (been at it for 4 hours now). They are REALLY stuck. I have soaked them in PB for a day now as well.
Any help would be great. Thanks guys!

One of mine snapped off too... easy to get out... Get some PB blaster soak the crap out of it which i guess youve done.. and get some vice pliers i forgot the name of them and grab the bolt and tap the top of it with a hammer and wiggle it loose and itll come out.. tighten/losen it should break free.. Mine did luckily..

Assuming they broke off where you have enough bolt to grab on.. If not you can always drill it out I am pretty sure those holes go through the head out the bottom so drilling them out shouldnt be a problem,tap the the holes and put helicoils in there... Its really no biggie

post #19 of 30 Old 05-24-2013, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Thanks guys...I got the bigger one out, thank the LORD!!...now onto the smaller one.
I cant fit a vice grip on it...so not sure what to do.

2004 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L
General Grabber AT2's 255/65/17
1" Addco rear sway bar
post #20 of 30 Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

^ Clamp down on it as hard as you can and start turning.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L
post #21 of 30 Old 05-24-2013, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
^ Clamp down on it as hard as you can and start turning.
I cant fit a vice grips onto the bolt...the opening around the bolt on the head isnt big enough.
I bought the smallest vice grips anyone has, and it still doesnt grip it.

1" Addco rear sway bar
post #22 of 30 Old 05-24-2013, 02:59 PM
buttersjeep90
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
I've used Irwin bolt extractors many times. They work very well. I bought mine at Advance Auto Parts.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bol...olt-extractors
i bought extractors like those at harbor freight and they have served me well. i think a set of standard and metric only cost me about 22 dollars not bad considering i own a jeep lol and have used mine alot so money well spent.
post #23 of 30 Old 05-24-2013, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttersjeep90 View Post
i bought extractors like those at harbor freight and they have served me well. i think a set of standard and metric only cost me about 22 dollars not bad considering i own a jeep lol and have used mine alot so money well spent.
Thanks...I tried those too...just stripped the threads off the bolt.
I have NO idea what to do now...I guess I try to drill it out.

1" Addco rear sway bar
post #24 of 30 Old 05-24-2013, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Well...its now about ten o clock....and I have been at this for over a day for one f'n bolt!
I am really out of options....I have tried everything that everyone has suggested to no avail...this bolt will NOT come out. I have gone through a propane hand tank just trying to heat this bolt up, and get it off...I have tried every bolt extractor practically made...I have tried to dremmel it and use a screwdriver...i have tried EZ-out...nothing works!!
If anyone has another idea..I would really appreciate it.
Thanks to everyone for trying to help.

1" Addco rear sway bar
post #25 of 30 Old 05-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Candymancan
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

drill it out.. if you stick your finger under the bolt you will notice the hole goes through.. So just get a drill bit. drill it out and get a helicoil and tap and rethread the hole and put the helicoil in there.. Im not sure what the exact size of the intake bolt is.. If you figure that out then get a tap one size bigger and a helicoil for that size tap where your bolt can bolt into.

I dunno if that makes sense
post #26 of 30 Old 05-24-2013, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
drill it out.. if you stick your finger under the bolt you will notice the hole goes through.. So just get a drill bit. drill it out and get a helicoil and tap and rethread the hole and put the helicoil in there.. Im not sure what the exact size of the intake bolt is.. If you figure that out then get a tap one size bigger and a helicoil for that size tap where your bolt can bolt into.

I dunno if that makes sense
Makes perfect sense...I am actually watching a video on how to use a helicoil right now!...should have done it yesterday!
When drilling it out....do I just use a big drill bit, and drill the size of the hole? Never done this before.
If anyone knows the size of the manifold bolts...that would be a huge help!

1" Addco rear sway bar
post #27 of 30 Old 05-24-2013, 11:20 PM
Candymancan
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

First Get a helicoil that your bolt will thread into.. That helicoil will have two sizes on it.. one that says it fits XX bolt size, and one size(bigger size) that itself screws into.. Take that bigger size and get a tap that matchs that size (the tap is the thing that makes threads.

Drill the hole out using a drill bit the same size as your intake bolt.. Then get your tap and make sure its straight and start making new threads.. Then take the helicoil and some thread locker and thread it into the hole using one of your old manifold bolts or something.. Then unscrew the bolt and you should be set.. The reason for the thread locker is because you dont want the bolt to push the helicoil out when you your torquing it down

I dunno if this makes any sense... and dont take this 100% i know im right on most of it but i could be wrong on the sizes for drilling ect.. I dont know what sizes you will need exactly.. I have only done a helicoil once and it was for my brake caliper.. it was actually quite easy and helicoils are actually stronger then the original threading.

OR you could get a dril bit smaller then your bolt and carefully drill the bolt out and then take a tap the same size as your bolt and RE-TAP the original threads to get the old bolt out.. That might work too. I dunno if that makes sense ?
post #28 of 30 Old 05-27-2013, 01:17 AM
Candymancan
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

So did you ever get things back together brewcity ?
post #29 of 30 Old 05-27-2013, 08:06 AM
x10radsponge
1998 ZJ 

do you have some needle nose vise grips? Like the ones on the left? http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-3...7&blockType=G7
post #30 of 30 Old 05-27-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
So did you ever get things back together brewcity ?
Thank you to ALL for the help....just an update...i ended up using a Heli-coil kit, and re-tapped it, and its is now ALLLLLLLL back together!!! WOOOO HOOOO!!!
So now...I just have to fire her up, and hope nothing leaks!
Thanks again to everyone for the help.

1" Addco rear sway bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in