Front suspension shot - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-05-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
bobbrugge

Front suspension shot

Had the guy at the tire store shake down the jeep. Seems like everything is wrong with it.
All 4 ball joints
Tie rod end at the pitman arm
steering stabilizer
Just watched a video on youtube from 1a products showing how to replace the ball joints. Yikes!! never replaced ball joints or steering stabilizer. i have replaced tie rods.
How hard is this really going to be?
Any ideas on time for a ball joint novice?
Anything I can do weeks before I start tearing this apart to make it easier?
Same questions in regards to the steering stabilizer.
it will take me a few paychecks to round up all the parts.
Feeling...overwhelmed!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-05-2019, 05:27 PM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

All my bushings and control arms were replaced w/ Moog, as-shown in this reply to restore like-new handling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-06-2019, 12:44 AM
Spetie
1935 CJ2A 

Here is a good run down on ball joints. I’ve never had to do this before myself but this guy seems to know what he’s doing.

https://youtu.be/SwXcmyKIHXI

post #4 of 9 Old 08-06-2019, 07:39 AM
LordHobbit

1993 ZJ 

It's not as daunting as you think it is. gather parts and tools (or rent the tools) before you begin. Don't cheap out on parts. Get good ones.

Are you lifted at all? Any suspension mods? I've been running a 5.5" lift on 33s for over 5 years without a steering stabilizer with zero issues.

93 red ZJ 196k 4.0. Spent more money than I should have ...
post #5 of 9 Old 08-06-2019, 09:03 AM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrugge View Post
All 4 ball joints
Tie rod end at the pitman arm
steering stabilizer
Just watched a video on youtube from 1a products showing how to replace the ball joints. Yikes!! never replaced ball joints or steering stabilizer. i have replaced tie rods.
How hard is this really going to be?
Any ideas on time for a ball joint novice?
Anything I can do weeks before I start tearing this apart to make it easier?
Same questions in regards to the steering stabilizer.
it will take me a few paychecks to round up all the parts.
Feeling...overwhelmed!!
Pre repair hints. For all the bolts I would suggest spraying them with a penetrating oil twice a day for a week. I used this stuff
https://www.walmart.com/ip/LIQUID-WR...4b86d750c40ff6
when I was doing the headers on my Dakota. Smelled something awful when it burned off but only 2 studs broke (and looking at the break face you could see it was due to prior existing cracks).

Steering stabilizer is probably the easiest part to replace on this list. The hardest part will be the bolt at the axle side.

The tie rods are not terribly difficult however they can sometime be a pain to get them to come free. That's where a good heavy hammer come in.

Ball joints. Ive been turning a wrench professionally for the last 14 years. Ive done everything from bulb replacements to engine ovehauls to custom metal fabrication. I hate doing ball joints. Getting the old ones out wasn't bad with a 1/2 drive ratchet, a cheater pipe, and a small sledge. Getting the bottom one in wasn't the most fun thing but the uppers took me almost a day combined. The issue is the lack of flat surface on the inner side of the axle caused the ball joint to want to cant off to one side. Even using all my tricks including a deep freeze of the joints for a whole week. I'm not saying you cant or shouldn't do them. Just be aware of the issues you will run into.

The best overall advice to you:
1) If you aren't sure about something ask. No one here will look funny at you for wanting to make sure you know how to do the job correctly.
2) Use quality parts. No one want to do a job twice.)
3) Take your time. Check over all your work and ensure all the bolts are tight and everything is where it should be. When you are done checking everything check it again. Last thing you want is to miss tightening a bolt and have something come loose while you are driving.

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-06-2019, 09:29 AM
chetzar

1994 ZJ 

Garage
Get the spicer ball joints, you wont regret it.

1993 ZJ Limited - 4.0
1994 ZJ Limited 5.2
post #7 of 9 Old 08-06-2019, 09:35 AM
BlaketheSnake

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just replaced all my suspension control arms, track bars, and steering with Crown parts from Nick with Kolak Performance.
Great Prices from him...he beat everybody.
Only thing I didn't replace were the Ball Joints and sway bar components....waiting on my replacement Addco sway bars.
It's a daily driver so stock items were just fine for me.

For Great Deals and Customer Service on your Jeep, Drop Nick a Line!

Kolak Performance

Tread lightly or we all will be tree hugging hikers!
2006 LJ Rubicon Black 33 BFG, 3.5" Metal Cloak
1998 ZJ 5.2V8 Deep Pearl Slate w/Up Country Suspension
1988 SJ416 White
post #8 of 9 Old 08-06-2019, 09:44 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
KD Tools (available at NAPA) has a Dodge/Jeep 4WD Dana ball joint tool set. This correctly fits for both removal AND install. You CAN rent a removal tool at Auto Zone or Oreilly's, BUT YOU WILL NEED pieces from this KD set as the ones in the rental kit are not specific to the Dana. I've had this set for 10 years, and will NEVER try to remove joints without it. Notice the cut-out on the larger socket...that will save your fingers and a visit to the ER.

Just check with the parts guys to make sure the ZJ hasn't changed on the axle you have.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1774.jpg   IMG_1775.jpg  
post #9 of 9 Old 08-06-2019, 02:16 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

You can remove the axle shaft and bearing as one. Unless you need to replace the bearing. Rent a ball joint kit from the parts store. Take your time and use YouTube.
The new spicer joints I got fit loose due to the old balljoints knurled surface. I had to peen the inside of the mounting surface. After that it was very difficult to press in. I had to use a long piece of pipe as a breaker bar.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in