Front R Wheel Wobble after hitting bump - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jessica97ZJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-14-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Jessica97ZJ

Front R Wheel Wobble after hitting bump

I bought a 97 ZJ about three weeks ago. I got it cheap and knew it had issues. Anyway, every time I hit a bump at about 40 mph + the FR tire wobbles ( only tire that is affected). I replaced U&L FR Ball joints because they were bad, probably from the wobble. After that the wobble is still there. I noticed the FR axle drive shaft is not there while replacing ball joints ! Can this also cause the bump wobble ( not bump steer)? I'm not driving it unless absolutely necessary and only about five blocks away. I don't want to destroy the new ball joints. I don't believe it's "true DW". Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-14-2019, 08:08 PM
Dw93

Tie rod play or steering box back lash to great,bad tier,unit bearings .
post #3 of 13 Old 05-14-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Jessica97ZJ

I'll check those for issues. Thanks Definitely gonna be putting that cv axle shaft in too. Do you know what a missing axle shaft would/could do ? Anything ?

post #4 of 13 Old 05-15-2019, 08:45 AM
Dw93

The outer axle shaft holds the uint bearing together look for a difference in tire were and start looking on that side first.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-15-2019, 02:27 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica97ZJ View Post
I'll check those for issues. Thanks Definitely gonna be putting that cv axle shaft in too. Do you know what a missing axle shaft would/could do ? Anything ?
It will cause the unit bearing to fail completely, which in turn will cause tire/wheel/ brake rotor to fall off. It will cause damage/ destroy at least the hjb, knuckle, brake caliper & rotor, wheel, possibly the tire, front fender and some other parts. Not to mention possible crash due to not being able to steer.

In other words - do not drive it before you install the axle shaft. Outer stub is enough, that is what keeps the unit hub in one piece.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #6 of 13 Old 05-15-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Jessica97ZJ

I just got done ordering a complete front cv axle shaft & components. I'm having them shipped to me directly. Not driving until it's installed. I'll update in this thread. Thank you !!!! I also checked the steering for damage and loose joints. My pitman arm has lots of play which surely aided in that tire wobbling. I'm repairing that too. I didn't notice anything else moving that shouldn't. I was surprised nothing else was damaged as I was told it was dudes daily !! . I love working on my Jeep but dam I'd like to do a "want to job" not a "have to job". Lol. I got new rims and they're just sitting there. I'll get to it. Big thanks to all who helped by commenting !!! JEEP 4 LIFE !! 🙂
post #7 of 13 Old 05-16-2019, 10:14 AM
LordHobbit

1993 ZJ 

You may want to replace the bearing regardless. Do both front ones.

93 red ZJ 196k 4.0. Spent more money than I should have ...
post #8 of 13 Old 05-17-2019, 06:59 AM
jeepjeepster

I imagine that something is amiss if the axle shaft is missing. Is the drivers side axle in place? Those spiders gears have got to be worn out if it is.

Someone argued with me on the WK2 section that leaving the axle shaft out wont ruin the wheel bearing.... Maybe theyre designed different, idk...

My brothers xj was doing something similar. He said it wasn't full on DW, just a slight wobble... Track bar had a very slight amount of play, hard to see when checking it with a pry bar. It has a newer steering stabilizer too, that didnt stop the wobble like most say it will.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/216,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/65,155 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/90,300 mi
post #9 of 13 Old 05-21-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Jessica97ZJ

Jeepjeepster : The cv axle shaft was removed from both sides. The openings on both sides were stuffed with shop towels. I'm hoping that's a good sign for me cuz they at least protected it from getting dirty. I'm going to thoroughly clean what area I can before installing the new drive shaft. I just got the parts today and plan on starting the installation soon , to-day. I am so ready to get started. I also have some play in my track bar not to much but I'm prepared to take care of that as well. Thanks for the input 🙂
post #10 of 13 Old 05-21-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Jessica97ZJ

LordHobbit : I agree and plan on replacing bearings. Thanks for your input 🙂
post #11 of 13 Old 05-21-2019, 06:28 PM
GOLDWING

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica97ZJ View Post
Jeepjeepster : The cv axle shaft was removed from both sides. The openings on both sides were stuffed with shop towels. I'm hoping that's a good sign for me cuz they at least protected it from getting dirty. I'm going to thoroughly clean what area I can before installing the new drive shaft. I just got the parts today and plan on starting the installation soon , to-day. I am so ready to get started. I also have some play in my track bar not to much but I'm prepared to take care of that as well. Thanks for the input 🙂
Whenever I pull and replace a front axle, I use my shop vac in the tubes to suck out any loose dirt or debris before re-installing the axle shafts. I also take the time to pull the diff cover, drain the grease and clean out the pumpkin. Might not be absolutely necessary, but it has not hurt a thing being thorough.

GW

"The Dude Abides"
post #12 of 13 Old 05-21-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Jessica97ZJ

GW ; that would be a good thing to do. I'll have to do that definitely. Thanks 🙂
post #13 of 13 Old 05-21-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Jessica97ZJ

I just got done installing the new cv axle and put new brake pads in. I took it for a test drive and hit every bump possible lol NO MORE WOBBLE !!! New tires and an alignment and that should do 'er. Thanks for all the input !! I am in love with the jeep forum , its very helpful. Sooo what to do to my Jeep next 😉
GChief likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in