3Likes
  • 2 Post By nickfast
  • 1 Post By Ralph77

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-20-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
CatAndTie
1996 ZJ 

Front Diff Breather Hose Questions

So thanks to my squirrel issue, I've lost the top half of my breather hose that runs from the front differential. There is about a foot long section still connected into the front diff, but the top is missing.

1. Where is the factory location end of the breather hose?

2. I know there is a cap on the top end. They seem to be cheap enough to replace for peace of mind. Anyone have a part number for the ZJ breather cap or some sort of replacement link? I found this one online: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1 I asked the seller about it since I have nothing left of mine to compare to and this was their response: "This replaces factory part number 5352955. This is used in 72-83 Jeep CJ5, 72-75 CJ6, 76-86 CJ7, and 81-86 Jeep CJ8 with Dana 30 front axle. It is not the same as the XJ Dana 30".

I don't see why this couldn't plug into the top end of a breather hose for a ZJ, though?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-20-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
CatAndTie
1996 ZJ 

I think I found the part number (although some sites say it matches a ZJ and others say it does not): J5352955
https://parts.jeepsareus.com/oem-par...-vent-j5352955
post #3 of 13 Old 09-20-2019, 01:30 PM
nickfast
1996 ZJ 

I don't believe that there is a cap on these.
The front axle hose attaches to the side of your airbox in a "U" shape with the end pointed downwards-a cap would do nothing for that.
Timo_90xj and LittleFootZJ like this.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-20-2019, 03:04 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfast View Post
I don't believe that there is a cap on these.
The front axle hose attaches to the side of your airbox in a "U" shape with the end pointed downwards-a cap would do nothing for that.

^- This.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #5 of 13 Old 09-20-2019, 05:44 PM
LittleFootZJ
1996 ZJ 

Front Diff Breather Hose Questions

I donít see whatís wrong with running a cap. But from the factory it seems thatís not how they were. Mine was long gone by the time I owned the vehicle.
Theyíre not actually caps if that isnít clear, itís just an open end with a hat to block debris from getting into the hose. I actually like the idea of using one. I just have the hose from the breather routed up high back on the firewall by the brake reservoir and a cap would be a nice addition to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 13 Old 09-21-2019, 01:23 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Nothing wrong with the hat, for example XJs use that style in the front breather. As long as there's not a chance of a lot of debris and/ or (muddy) water entering the breather hose and nothing stops it from breathing both directions, it works.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #7 of 13 Old 09-21-2019, 01:49 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

XJ's use the one that CatAndTie posted.
Just zipped tied to the harness running along the firewall near the brake booster.
No idea how a ZJ is set up.
I used that style when I moved all my breathers.
Rear diff, tranny, and transfer case.
Attached Images

Timo_90xj likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-21-2019, 09:03 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Timo_90XJ but in hindsight I did do something stupid.
The rear diff locates nicely to where the front diff one is. Being that it is on the driver's side.
But the tranny and trasnfer case ones come up on the passenger side.
So why I put them all in the same place is a mystery to me.
Should have just zipped tied them to harness along the firewall on the passenger side.
Could have saved a little cash on hose. LOL.
Will correct my mistake someday.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-22-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
CatAndTie
1996 ZJ 

I contacted the dealership and they gave me a breather that looks like the one I posted. https://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Products.../dp/B009XZRLZA Part no: 5352955

The part is too big for the hose currently attached to the axle, so I'll need to step up the hose size.

I think the rear axle breather hose does have a cap like this. It looks like it goes nicely up into the frame so I can't see the end but it connects to something
post #10 of 13 Old 09-22-2019, 10:49 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAndTie View Post
I contacted the dealership and they gave me a breather that looks like the one I posted. https://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Products.../dp/B009XZRLZA Part no: 5352955

The part is too big for the hose currently attached to the axle, so I'll need to step up the hose size.

I think the rear axle breather hose does have a cap like this. It looks like it goes nicely up into the frame so I can't see the end but it connects to something
You familiar with the brake cleaner trick?
You squirt the hose with brake cleaner. It lets you get something that is a little to big in a hose that is not quite big enough.
As a matter of fact I thing that is how I got all those breathers in the 5/16", think that is what I used, hose when I did mine.
Just do it quick before it evaporates. If not successful do it again. Even though brake cleaner messes with some plastics and rubbers
since this is just a breather line it will be fine.

I have never seen one but I don't think that this type of breather is used for the rear inside the uni-body. I think it is probably a check valve type like the transfer cases use. I always try to remember to look when the "I am replacing my floor pan" threads come up hoping to see a shot that shows it.
I know you are dealing with a ZJ but remember that everything I say is from my experience with my XJ.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-22-2019, 11:07 AM
LittleFootZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
You familiar with the brake cleaner trick?
You squirt the hose with brake cleaner. It lets you get something that is a little to big in a hose that is not quite big enough.
Just do it quick before it evaporates.
Why not just use WD-40?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 13 Old 09-22-2019, 11:40 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFootZJ View Post
Why not just use WD-40?
You could try.
I believe the brake cleaner to actually change the characteristics of the hose for a couple seconds until it evaporates.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-25-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
CatAndTie
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFootZJ View Post
Why not just use WD-40?
You could try.
I believe the brake cleaner to actually change the characteristics of the hose for a couple seconds until it evaporates.
The breather cap is for a 3/8" hose. I got a hose that would fit the cap thinking the nipple on the pumpkin I could use a hose clamp to cinch the hose. The freaking nipple is a skinny little thing that is way too small for a 3/8 hose! It's like a toothpick.

I'll try lubing the 5/16 hose to fit the cap I got.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in