Electrical issues with doorlocks after radio disconnect - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-14-2016, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
JayBoon
1995 ZJ 

Electrical issues with doorlocks after radio disconnect

Since my left front and rear speaker are not always functioning, I unscrewed the centre console on my 1995 jeep Grand Cherokee hoping to find some lose wires. Although everything seemed intact, the left speakers came back to life when pushing the plugs harder into the radio. Not sure how to fix this properly, I decided to put everything back. I did not cut or change any wires.

As soon as I had put everything back, some new issues appeared:
1) when I open the doors, I hear a clicking sound coming from the glove compartment. It sounds like the anti theft system but no hunking horns, just rapid clicking.

2)the central door lock only works with the engine on. When engine is off I need to lock all doors manually.

3)the board computer blinks constantly

4) the radio is cut (and the board computer shut down) every time when I lever for the dashboard illumination to max. This only happens when I switch it all the way to the right and the floor lights come on. When switching back, the radio turns back on and the board computer stops blinking.

It seems to me that this is somehow related to the anti theft system, but I don't understand why, since I didn't cut any wires. I just unplugged and rep lugged the speaker cables in the back of the radio.

Anybody any idea how to fix this?https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/image...ce_glasses.png

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-14-2016, 08:25 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

If you pinched and shorted the CCD bus wires that go between the radio and VIC then it could account for some of the issues you describe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-16-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
JayBoon
1995 ZJ 

Update

The clicking relay sound is coming from the lower richt fusebox under the glove compartment.
The central door lock works while the engine is running, not when engine is off.
Any tips on how to check the wires? What tools do I need for that?

post #4 of 5 Old 03-16-2016, 09:59 PM
USSENTERNCC1701
1994 ZJ 

I wanna say it could be related to the dimmer. As I recall, the stock harness has a separate wire for dimmer, all dash lights dim when headlights go on, and automatic locks don't work with headlights on and engine off (door open too, maybe). I'm not certain, but I'd say it's worth looking at. And anyway, I'd say first troubleshoot step should be pull the radio out again and recheck all wires at the radio and in the dash space.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-16-2016, 10:12 PM
USSENTERNCC1701
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBoon View Post
Any tips on how to check the wires? What tools do I need for that?
First step, visual inspection, any obvious deformation of the wire (pinching, tears, etc.) and connectors (corrosion, dirt, etc.), reseat all connections and test funtionality before reassembling (can maybe skip next steps).

I don't really recommend going further until you've run out of other ways to figure out the issue, checking all wires electrically rather than visually is a serious PITA. But, if you do...

You'll need a multimeter and the pinout diagram with voltages for the harness, just check reading against expected value. Then, other wires in the areas you worked, have to figure out what they are, what readings should be, where they go to (not from) and test (check from sides if that still doesn't isolate it).

Tags
alarm system , door lock , radio , radio swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in