Electrical issues after sitting for several years - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1shotleft

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-13-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Larry3
1998 ZJ 

Electrical issues after sitting for several years

Hey all, new here. Just bought a 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo that has been sitting since 2012. The previous owner was the first owner and took it in every couple years to keep smog and registration current, but the time sitting has caused some electrical issues. I was wondering if you guys might have an idea what might have caused them.

Only 1 power door lock works, though I can hear all 4 trying to work
Cluster panel illumination only works when applying pressure to the switch. I'll have the dimmer on full brightness, and it wont get brighter unless I physically push it myself.

Only 1 turn signal is working. I swapped the bulbs around and they are both good. When i turn on the drivers side turn signal, I hear a buzzing sound, and the lights wont flash nor will the indicator on the cluster panel. When activation passenger side turn signal the lights work, on panel and front and rear of the jeep, but it blinks fast, like a bulb was bad.

Cruise control disengages randomly.

I don't know if this is all fuse/relay related or not. Would appreciate any advice you guys might have, thanks.

Edit: It has about 120k miles on it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-14-2019, 04:45 AM
1shotleft

1998 ZJ 

For the dimmer switch you can either order a new one from Rock Auto or pull it apart and resolder the connections. (There's a write up on how to how to) the directional sounds like the relay has died. It's located in the passenger footwell behind a panel.

Sent from space with lasers.
LittleFootZJ likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-14-2019, 10:22 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

The door lock issue is very common. They go bad over time. Sometimes it's just the grease inside gets old and gums up the works. There's a write up around to disassemble them and clean/regrease. They are also available to buy but are fairly expensive.

For the cruise control check the brake switch. There are two circuits in the switch. One for the cruise. One for the brake lights. On mine the cruise switch failed and I lost cruise intermittently but the lights worked fine. It's fairly cheap and easy to replace.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in