Drive Shaft Fix - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 04-20-2015, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Chub1122
1995 ZJ 

Drive Shaft Fix

Hey y'all, I'm looking to finally get a new driveshaft after going 2wd for almost a year now because it's hard to do those kind of things while living on a college campus. But I'll be home in about three weeks and I need to have a plan on what to do to get it fixed on a budget. The driveshaft broke two days after I got my 4.5 " Premium IRO lift (Adj. Control Arms all around). So, what did you guys do to fix this without spending a bunch of money?

Other hopeful summer mods:
Build a custom metal/wooden firearm storage/misc. storage in the truck
4" flare fiberglass fenders
Fiberglass hood
A/C Fix
Build a Pre-runner style winch bumper
Roof Rack
Switch out 15x10 wheels to 15x8 wheels

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-20-2015, 08:46 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

You need a U jointed front shaft with a U jointed yoke. A rzeppa shaft will just break again. Mine broke first time off road with a 2" lift. I got a front shaft from a JY for around 30 bucks and a shop put in the yoke for 120.

If you still have your stock 249 transfer case then the viscous coupler inside is certainly burnt out. You cannot remove the front shaft on a 93-95 249 equipped ZJ without burning out the viscous coupler. All v8 ZJ's came with a 249.
96-98 is ok.

Running a shaft up front with a burnt out VC will wear your front tires around the edge and put a bunch of stress on the diff and steering parts and eventually cause a lot more worn out parts which means a lot more money.

Viscous couplers are 300-400 dollars for a new one. If you don't want to replace it then the cheapest thing to do would be to put in another transfer case like a 242 or 231.
Never buy a used 249 because there is no way to tell if the VC is good or not unless it's being driven.

If you do not want to fix it then only putting in the front shaft when you go off road will be ok because the front tires will have enough slip on the dirt to not hurt anything. Just take it out for street driving.
Attached Images

Tags
grand cherokee , jeep , limited , v8 , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in