Double DIN without cutting dash? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-13-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
somebody5788

1994 ZJ 

Double DIN without cutting dash

There was a thread recently about modernizing the electronics in a ZJ or something and ever since then I've been thinking about putting a NAV unit in mine. Well I've already done it in 2 other cars I own and one of those was a shallow mount of only 2.5" .... I managed that so how hard could a ZJ be? Not hard at all it turns out! My results aren't exactly a "clean" install but I didn't expect much and honestly. Aftermarket radios never looked that good in a ZJ as the DIN mount kits were always of poor quality. I could do better and if I did it again I think I'd opt for their slightly over sized 8" one and do a little trimming on the top of the dash to make it fit and fill out the sides a little more.

Do I recommend this unit? Well, yes and no. I've installed 3 more of a similar radio in other cars and love them in those. This one however with the touch buttons instead of physical buttons is not all that great, or at least not yet. I'm going to tweak it a little since it is an Android 5.1 OS there are tons of options in that department. If I'd spent more I could have bought the Android 6.0 one and it may be more refined. I'll continue to update this thread with pictures and tweaks I do and would love to see some more guys try this out and we can all post up tips. If you like Android and like tinkering then this is a fun project with a lot of reward in the long run.

As far as long term reliablility goes I've had one of these for over 2 years and never had a single hardware concern. I've had minor Android software issues but it's still more stable then any 2 year old smart phone I've used.

My plans to improve it right now are to integrate their universal steering wheel controls but instead of using the battery in the remote I'd like to get a 12 volt to 3 volt converter and solder wires inside of it then power it off the cruise control power wires. It shouldn't draw more then 20 mA so I don't see this being an issue. My old steering wheel is already worn out so it has a cover over it which will cover up the wires and I wont mind drilling a small hole in it. This should fix my biggest complaint about this radio and the touch screen controls as well as add a lot of safety with not having to reach to the screen.

Alright, the cost. I bought the radio linked below and used the discount code at the bottom of the page. This brought it to $188 shipped... in 3 days... from Hong Kong. I don't think you can do cheaper and quicker then that.

https://www.carjoying.com/head-unit/universal-car-head-units/7-single-din/joying-aftermarket-new-developed-android-5-1-1-lollipop-car-stereo-7-inch-single-din-touchscreen-hd-pip-head-unit-chip-intel-sofia-3gr-bluetooth-4-0-backup-camera-radio-for-universal-support-d.html

I'm glad to answer any questions you guys have and hope to see some more people doing this! Sorry for just having one picture, I finished up quite late last night and took this in the parking lot at work before walking in.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170613_081104558_HDR.jpg  

2006 Honda 919
1994 Jeep ZJ
2007 Nissan Titan
1997 BMW 328is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-13-2017, 09:22 AM
chetzar

1994 ZJ 

Garage
Interesting fit, did the main part of the unit fit like a normal single din unit (i.e. is it hanging out to make room for the screen to attach?)

1993 ZJ Limited - 4.0
1994 ZJ Limited 5.2
post #3 of 8 Old 06-13-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
somebody5788

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetzar View Post
Interesting fit, did the main part of the unit fit like a normal single din unit (i.e. is it hanging out to make room for the screen to attach?)

Basically yes, it has 4 clips (very stout clips, I was impressed) that allow you to adjust the screens mounting vertically and the regular part of the radio is just a somewhat stubbier but regular single DIN. The link has pictures of the mounting IIRC.

The radio can be mounted deep enough that the screen is basically flush with the trim on the center console there.

2006 Honda 919
1994 Jeep ZJ
2007 Nissan Titan
1997 BMW 328is

post #4 of 8 Old 06-13-2017, 09:36 AM
LordHobbit

1993 ZJ 

What is the arm switch for. Front missiles?

93 red ZJ 196k 4.0. Spent more money than I should have ...
post #5 of 8 Old 06-13-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
somebody5788

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHobbit View Post
What is the arm switch for. Front missiles?
Whatever you do, don't switch it!

2006 Honda 919
1994 Jeep ZJ
2007 Nissan Titan
1997 BMW 328is
post #6 of 8 Old 10-03-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
somebody5788

1994 ZJ 

Little update, I got some universal steering wheel controls for the radio. Love not having to use the touch screen for volume and other minor navigational things.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171003_130735629_HDR.jpg  

2006 Honda 919
1994 Jeep ZJ
2007 Nissan Titan
1997 BMW 328is
post #7 of 8 Old 10-03-2017, 09:34 PM
wingless

1994 ZJ 

Very nice job w/ all the upgrades!

Are the steering wheel controls connected to the head unit w/ a wireless link?

Aren't you worried about putting on weight from not having to reach all the way over to the radio to change settings?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-05-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
somebody5788

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
Very nice job w/ all the upgrades!

Are the steering wheel controls connected to the head unit w/ a wireless link?

Aren't you worried about putting on weight from not having to reach all the way over to the radio to change settings?
Yes they are wireless and have a CR2032 battery in each one. Since the cruise control clock spring has 12v running through the column I plan to tap into that and connect a converter to lower the voltage to 3v and power the buttons permanently that way and running the wires through the metal in the wheel. I might get a new leather binding from redline goods and tuck everything neatly into a restored steering wheel. That is if I ever feel like spending like $150 on a steering wheel...

I didn't do this to be lazy, operating the touch screen radio while driving is very distracting. These controls eliminate 90% of the distraction presented by the radio.

2006 Honda 919
1994 Jeep ZJ
2007 Nissan Titan
1997 BMW 328is

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in