Doorswitches stopped working - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-13-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
boppanan

Doorswitches stopped working

Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited -97

I'm going crazy! Last week all switches in the drivers door stopped working, along with the door lock. The speaker is still working though. Started google it and understod that it is quite common with broken cables between the door and the body, so i ripped out the harness and didn't find any broken cables but a few that the insulation were thorn of so I cut out a bit of every cable and soldered in new pieces but whithout any result. I started check every fuse and circuit breakers but couldn't find anyone blown. I measured the voltage and ground in the connector to the door, and i had about 12v on two of the pins, about 5v on one pin, 2,3v on two more pins and good ground on one pin. A few pins had no voltage or ground.
The next drive i did with the car i just tried to roll down the window and all of a sudden everything worked again! I had an idea of trying if the horn also worked, which it hasn't for months, and the horn also worked. The happiness weren't long, just a few seconds later everything stopped working again. I went to the grossery store and when i came back to the car i just tried to unlock it with the FOB, everything worked again, including the power windows and the horn. The power windows worked for 3-4 times up and down in a row, then stopped working and haven't worked since then. The horn also are completely dead. Yesterday i removed the negative battery terminal and cleaned it from corrosion but no change.

Any idea of what to do next? I can't find any "pertinence" between the horn and the main switch in the drivers door, they are not sharing any power distribution from what i can see in the electric schedule.

Turned out to be a long thread (in my best school-english) but I'm trying to be as thorough as possible

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-15-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
boppanan

Really no one has any idea? Is it a good idea to replace the DDM maybe?
post #3 of 3 Old 04-17-2017, 05:25 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Sounds like a connection problem. I would check the connector at the DDM. Wiggle it a bit and see if you can duplicate failure. Wiggle wires at the door connector.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in