Doors lock after moving but not unlocks when shopped - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-30-2020, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
delmanciomio

1997 ZJ 

Doors lock after moving but not unlocks when shopped

Hi, when i pass 15mph doors will lock for safety. But do they supposed to unlock when slowed down or stopped. Child or friend pushing hard doors when they want to get in because i forget to unlock doors. Is it normal doors will not unlock when stopped or car shut off ? Your jeep auto unlocking when stopped or car shut off ? Do i have to do manually unlock everytime? Is there anyway to disable auto lock feature?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-30-2020, 11:06 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Gotta unlock manually. The auto lock feature can be disabled with a dealer grade scan tool, like the DRB3.

Bumping the button just feels like a reflex to me after all these years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-03-2020, 04:05 PM
AlamoJeeper

1995 ZJ 

I drove cars for decades without "power bound to malfunction sooner or later door locks." Same for without "power bound to malfunction sooner or later windows". Power door locks failed within three years on a new 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis and a 2016 Chrysler Town and Country. On the Chrysler, I was unable to use the left rear door until the dealer had it for a day and a half to fix it. Someone on here had a right rear door which could not be opened. Hopefully, he has been able to fix it.

I use the power door locks as little as possible on both our cars. I got a key made so that I can unlock the Chrysler driver's door. I like that the Jeep has a key operated lock on the passenger door. I don't carry the remote. I see no reason to operate five electric locks, getting to their individual failure times more quickly when all I want to do is enter the driver's door. Or get out of the driver's door. I like that I can reach all four door locks from the driver's seat on the ZJ.

I do like the auto lock on driving feature these days. The one I liked best locked at 3 mph, as soon as I got rolling.

FWIW and YMMV.

AlamoJeeper
- 1995 4.0L NP249 - mostly stock
- Link to rehabbing my 1995 ZJ.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-13-2020, 12:37 AM
jim9
2005 KJ Liberty 

Garage
What are the chances of finding an independent shop with the DRB3, or clone thereof? The dealer wanted about $60 for about six seconds with his 9001 rf detector to test the fob.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-13-2020, 09:23 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Some locksmiths have tools that can do the remote programming bit, newer high end autel/innova scanners can supposedly do it as well.

Really depends on your area.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-15-2020, 08:23 AM
At1bob

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9 View Post
What are the chances of finding an independent shop with the DRB3, or clone thereof? The dealer wanted about $60 for about six seconds with his 9001 rf detector to test the fob.

I'm in Southern Maryland and the only place out here is the local dealer. I called around trying to get a new remote coded and nothing. I didn't want to spend $75 to code a $20 amazon remote.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-15-2020, 09:07 AM
jeepjeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoJeeper View Post
I drove cars for decades without "power bound to malfunction sooner or later door locks." Same for without "power bound to malfunction sooner or later windows". Power door locks failed within three years on a new 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis and a 2016 Chrysler Town and Country. On the Chrysler, I was unable to use the left rear door until the dealer had it for a day and a half to fix it. Someone on here had a right rear door which could not be opened. Hopefully, he has been able to fix it.

I use the power door locks as little as possible on both our cars. I got a key made so that I can unlock the Chrysler driver's door. I like that the Jeep has a key operated lock on the passenger door. I don't carry the remote. I see no reason to operate five electric locks, getting to their individual failure times more quickly when all I want to do is enter the driver's door. Or get out of the driver's door. I like that I can reach all four door locks from the driver's seat on the ZJ.

I do like the auto lock on driving feature these days. The one I liked best locked at 3 mph, as soon as I got rolling.

FWIW and YMMV.
Im somewhat old school like this but I wired in a chrysler 300 remote/receiver on my 94 ZJ. Its nice being able to unlock the drivers door only without unlocking all doors when Im not using them.

I've never liked any sort of automatic locks n such. Thankfully my 98 does not have that turned on.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in