Diagnosis? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-07-2014, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
orangeafroman
1995 ZJ 

Diagnosis?

Minor rattling/vibration above 60 mph. Vibration is not in steering wheel, but down by gear shifter/ center of vehicle.

My auto shop said I need new ball joints, but not urgent. It's the next thing I'll get done. They said this generally, I didn't bring it in for the vibration.

I'm just scared/paranoid that it's a front diff/transfer case/tranny issue causing the vibration. I've literally had a front drive shaft fall off onto the highway in the past, so I'm paranoid.

Can anyone say due to the vibration only happening over a certain speed that it's def the ball joints and I can relax? The wheels have been balanced , all new tie rods and track bar, will have it aligned once the ball joints are replaced...anyone able to diagnose this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-07-2014, 01:42 PM
durango-bob

2006 WK 

Check the front driveshaft joints. Worn joints can cause the symptoms you have.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-07-2014, 01:43 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

It could be so many things its gonna be hard to say any one thing. Not a 4 wheel guy, but your best bet is to educate yourself a bit on your jeep and do some reading on drivetrain and suspension. I honestly don't think anyone can assure you that its the ball joints. Get under there and check the front driveshaft for play or looseness. Could be the front axles or a host of things. If you don't want to go through all that take it back to the shop for the vibration. Not trying to dis you, just being honest.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off

post #4 of 10 Old 12-07-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
orangeafroman
1995 ZJ 

I live 2 hours from a shop, so I can't just easily take it in whenever. Just looking for ideas.

If it's the driveshaft joints, do they need to be greased or something? I replaced them within the last couple of years.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-08-2014, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
orangeafroman
1995 ZJ 

I got it to a shop and they'll check it tomorrow. Will post update.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-04-2015, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
orangeafroman
1995 ZJ 

I know it could be many things, but with the evidence, I'm sure someone can pinpoint the culprit of the vibrating middle/front:

only happens 65+, smooth as silk under that
when the front drive shaft is removed, it doesn't vibrate (according to the shop)
vibrations are worse when coming down a mountain, coasting
the ball joints need replacing (so they may be the whole problem)
I drove hundreds of miles with the issue, so I don't feel like my drive shaft is going to fall out again
I changed the sway bar bushings out, but doesn't seem right. I believe the sway bar is non-essential, so I hope that's not causing it.

I'm just scared it's a transfer case/tranny issue or front diff issue. The front diff was opened and no shavings or anything. Tranny fluid is red and full.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-04-2015, 11:17 AM
Scrubberguy
1997 ZJ 

Your shop guy says when the pulled the front DS it stopped the vibriating?

Is this the original DS? it is possible it is bent from having dropped on the road at speed? or is out of balance because of it.

If this has a "sealed" yoke on each end I think I'd pull the front DS and drive it myself for awhile, once convinced this stopped the problem I'd re balance the old shaft or buy a new one, leaning strongly towards a new DS rather than try to fix one that has had issues.

Things that spin fast need to be right all the time ya know!
post #8 of 10 Old 01-04-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
orangeafroman
1995 ZJ 

No, definitely not the original one, lol, and they replaced the one that was in it. But the problem is still there.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-05-2015, 09:48 AM
dirtybobby423
1998 ZJ 

Just a thought, I had a similar problem with an older Cherokee, and it turned out that my harmonic balancer was going out. There was a piece of rubber or some kind of material inside the balancer that had started to work its way out, and upon inspection you could see it hanging out of the balancer. No idea why it only happened at certain speeds, but easy to check. U-joints and wheel balancing could do it to, like coralman said it could be a lot of things, start with the easy/cheap ones.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-05-2015, 10:17 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

5.2 is internally balanced so the harmonic balancer isn't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in