Cruse control is shifting transmission into too low of a gear - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-10-2021, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Rapidrob

1998 ZJ 

Garage
Cruse control is shifting transmission into too low of a gear

1998 GCL 4.0 automatic.
When driving with the cruse control on and climbing a hill, the transmission shifts into too low of a gear,and then cycles from low to high back and forth. This is unnerving and creating very high RPM as the transmission down shifts.
The transmission shifts normally during everyday driving with the cruse control off. It shifts at about 2,400 RPM from 1st to second when cold. From 3rd to Over Drive I some times have to back off of the throttle and it will shift into O.D, the shifts are abrupt but not violent.
I've read that the shifts should not be butter smooth as this can cause band slippage.

Is this a throttle cable misalignment/adjustment? Your ideas?

'Nam Vet
Tin Can Sailor
President
NM MILSURPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-10-2021, 08:46 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
1998 GCL 4.0 automatic.
When driving with the cruse control on and climbing a hill, the transmission shifts into too low of a gear,and then cycles from low to high back and forth. This is unnerving and creating very high RPM as the transmission down shifts.
The transmission shifts normally during everyday driving with the cruse control off. It shifts at about 2,400 RPM from 1st to second when cold. From 3rd to Over Drive I some times have to back off of the throttle and it will shift into O.D, the shifts are abrupt but not violent.
I've read that the shifts should not be butter smooth as this can cause band slippage.

Is this a throttle cable misalignment/adjustment? Your ideas?

You can try adjusting the TV cable. Can't hurt. Are you running larger than factory tires?

For TV cable adjustment if I remember correctly pulling it out = later more firm shift point.
Pushing it in = earlier softer shift point.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 09-10-2021, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Rapidrob

1998 ZJ 

Garage
Yes,one size larger than normal tires.

'Nam Vet
Tin Can Sailor
President
NM MILSURPS

post #4 of 7 Old 09-10-2021, 10:11 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
Yes,one size larger than normal tires.

It'll be off a bit then. Definitely do the TV cable adjustment and see if it helps.
Stuff like this is more noticeable with the 4.0 because of the smaller displacement and less gearing to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 Old 09-11-2021, 01:55 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Engine has redline for a reason, that is the safe limit where the engine is designed to operate. In other words, there is no such thing as "too high RPM" on a rev- limited engine.

As for gear hunting on hills, that definitely happens with the 4.0 on stock 3.55 gears and tires larger than stock. Transmission shifts into lower gear when certain parameters order it to do so. You might not be experiencing gear hunting with the cruise control off because you can modulate the amount of throttle the way you want to do it, you're probably loosing some speed but the transmission won't shift.

Cruise control tries to maintain speed, so it opens the throttle as much as required -> downshift occurs. This usually happens the most at around 50mph range, when engine RPMs are fairly low and there's not enough torque on the 4.0 to maintain speed on inclines in OD. Try OD off if it still does this?

Like PolkaPower mentioned, you can try adjusting TV cable, but the thing is if it's too loose, your transmission will NOT downshift early enough and it will also cause slipping.
If you adjust it tighter-than-stock, shifts will be firmer BUT it will also downshift with less throttle input. So you will get even more gear hunting with the cruise control engaged.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #6 of 7 Old 09-11-2021, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Rapidrob

1998 ZJ 

Garage
Thanks for the replies.
Right now there is no slack in the TV cable. I could add a little slack and see if that helps.

'Nam Vet
Tin Can Sailor
President
NM MILSURPS
post #7 of 7 Old 09-11-2021, 02:27 PM
jeepjeepster

I've always cancelled cruise control on the hills. Cruise control tries to keep it right at the set speed and IMHO, causes too much wear and tear. The more a trans shifts, the shorter its life will be.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in