Cruise will not hold - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-04-2016, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Cruise will not hold

My cruise has been slowly failing. It started a few months ago every so often it would just stop like I tapped the brakes or turned it off. I can hit resume to bring it back but now it will only hold for 10 seconds or so at a time. I first chased down the vacuum system and it now checks out ok. I had a issue with the O2 and performance and I have that fixed. I replaced the diaphragm and it still has a issue. There does not seems to be any pattern on why it quits. I have no other engine issues that I have noticed. The only thing that may have something to play in it is my battery gage fluctuates between just below 14 and one tick down rather rapidly at times. It will hold at 14, then drop to one tick down for a few seconds, then go back to just below 14 for a few seconds and do it over again. The timing varies, and sometimes it moves slowly and others quickly. I checked it with a volt meter at the battery and the voltage is steady. Also if the voltage was actually moving around like that I would see it in the head lights and gage lights at night and those do not change brightness when the needle is moving around. Could I be looking at a PCM issue? What else could there be? Where does that meter measure at? Also there didn't seem to be a correlation between the gage and cruise stopping so I am not sure its related. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-04-2016, 09:12 AM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

My cruise control stopped working after I changed out my PCM to a JY part. Before that it would always work, but not until after I hit the "set" button a few times. Some here doubt it is the PCM, but I'm not convinced. I could prove it to myself if I put my old PCM back in for a tester, but I hate to be going through too many "connection cycles" on the electrical connections, as it's known to weaken them a bit.

People do have issues with the contacts on the steering wheel switch, and get decent results occasionally by cleaning them up. I think I've seen a video or two on youtube about doing that job. Good luck.

1998 Laredo 4.0L 4x4, 242 TC. Turned over 200K miles in 06/18. Original owner.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Para32
1998 ZJ 

you have a vacuum leak, it is controlled by vacuum

post #4 of 9 Old 10-05-2016, 09:24 PM
mikem350
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para32 View Post
Or the rubber CC diaphragm itself

Proud owner of two DD 4.0 ZJs
Flame Red 94 mint!
Silver 98 just hit 320k miles....runs great!
post #5 of 9 Old 10-06-2016, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para32 View Post
I checked that. I put a T in and a gage and drove around. The lowest Hg was around 7, and there was no connection between the Hg and when it quit. I have replaced the diaphragm already so either two units are bad or its not the diaphragm.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-06-2016, 10:14 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I think your voltage sag issue is confusing the electrics, have you had the alt tested? Clean grounds?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-09-2016, 01:25 AM
Maverickxeo

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I had the same issue in mine for quite a while... I also noticed the brake lights were sticking sometimes.

I pulled the brake light switch out from under the brake pedal, and reset it.

Since then, my cruise (and lights) have worked flawlessly.

Check that out; it takes a few minutes to do.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-11-2016, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickxeo View Post
I had the same issue in mine for quite a while... I also noticed the brake lights were sticking sometimes.

I pulled the brake light switch out from under the brake pedal, and reset it.

Since then, my cruise (and lights) have worked flawlessly.

Check that out; it takes a few minutes to do.
That's a good suggestion, I did work with the switch recently but I have had this issue before I did the work. I should connect a light to my trailer connection and put it where I can see it and see if my brake lights turn on when they shouldn't.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-16-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
kb9mfd
1995 ZJ 

Just a update I have it working now. I'm not exactly sure what the issue was but I did a transmission swap to a AX15 and used the computer from the donor. I also replaced the battery to ground connection. One of those fixed it.

Tags
alternator , battery , cruise control , voltage drop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in