Create Your Own Transfer Case Linkage - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 73 Old 07-28-2015, 11:57 AM
monte350
1997 ZJ 

MVF's page says that it won't (or unconfirmed)work on a 4.0/242 combo, but has anyone looked at the linkages/brackets from a 4.0 and the v8s to see if they are really different or not. other than the transfercase possibly being farther back because of the 46re, everything should be in the same place. am I right? for 50 bucks it might be worth it to try.

1995 Cherokee(XJ)-Rolled it
1998 Grand Cherokee(ZJ)-Sold it
1997 Grand Cherokee(ZJ)-DD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 07-28-2015, 12:33 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Try it, maybe PM collins and ask if he'll send you one at a discount if you promise high quality pictures.

The t-case is further back on the 4.0 because the engine is so long. 44re in the second gen V8 isn't longer then the 42re AFAIK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #63 of 73 Old 10-28-2015, 02:40 PM
GreenHorn420

1998 ZJ 

Garage
Found this thread awhile ago and last night i had enough of this stupid contraption that Chrysler calls linkage.... so next mod is this one. so Thank you. the headache will be gone soon! and quick question is there any cons that you have found?

post #64 of 73 Old 10-30-2015, 05:30 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

For reference, the linkage is not a chrysler design.

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #65 of 73 Old 10-30-2015, 08:45 PM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

FWIW, when I disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt my transfer case shift linkage, I found that the black goo sealant on the bottom of the cabin lever bucket, the bottom of the large curved shifter panel and on the captive fender washers retaining the shaft bracket to the body were not in the condition I wanted for reassembly.

The material I found with identical properties to that used by the factory is EPDM Quick Roof Seam Tape. This double-sided adhesive butyl tape is identical to that used by the factory at all those locations.

This was trimmed and applied to all those locations before reassembly to ensure those locations do not leak during usage.

My experience was that round hole punches were required to carefully make screw clearance holes. If a screw was pushed through the tape, then the threads would grab the tape, turning it into a ball.

It was cut into strips for the cabin lever bucket perimeter and for the large curved shifter panel perimeter. It was "punched" into washer discs for the captive fender washers.

post #66 of 73 Old 11-20-2015, 12:10 PM
xj607
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
FWIW, when I disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt my transfer case shift linkage, I found that the black goo sealant on the bottom of the cabin lever bucket, the bottom of the large curved shifter panel and on the captive fender washers retaining the shaft bracket to the body were not in the condition I wanted for reassembly.

The material I found with identical properties to that used by the factory is EPDM Quick Roof Seam Tape. This double-sided adhesive butyl tape is identical to that used by the factory at all those locations.

This was trimmed and applied to all those locations before reassembly to ensure those locations do not leak during usage.

My experience was that round hole punches were required to carefully make screw clearance holes. If a screw was pushed through the tape, then the threads would grab the tape, turning it into a ball.

It was cut into strips for the cabin lever bucket perimeter and for the large curved shifter panel perimeter. It was "punched" into washer discs for the captive fender washers.

That's pretty cool, ill have to get some of this for when I put mine back together when I finish up my 5speed swap that's in the works right now
post #67 of 73 Old 11-20-2015, 12:16 PM
xj607
1997 XJ Cherokee 

boostwerksengineering.com sells these types of linkages for anyone looking for about 38-45 bucks depending on what set up you have, it includes the levers so no welding/fab required..... and if you don't have a welder or time to make the levers this kit is the way to go and isn't that much more after you source everything out, I probably would of ordered this if I didn't already make my own
post #68 of 73 Old 11-20-2015, 08:39 PM
MurdaJs
Web Wheeler
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj607 View Post
boostwerksengineering.com sells these types of linkages for anyone looking for about 38-45 bucks depending on what set up you have, it includes the levers so no welding/fab required..... and if you don't have a welder or time to make the levers this kit is the way to go and isn't that much more after you source everything out, I probably would of ordered this if I didn't already make my own
Nice, looks like they use the same rod ends as you can get at tractor supply.

Their site says that it is for the 231 on a aw4 XJ only, maybe you should email them letting them know it works on your ZJ
post #69 of 73 Old 11-22-2015, 10:04 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

When I rebuilt my transfer case linkage I replaced all five bushings, the bearing and the bearing pad. The linkage parts were all cleaned and painted.

Plan on replacing the bushings any time the linkage is disassembled. My experience is that they do not tolerate disassembly w/o damage.

The bushing swap was not easy. I ended up using my shop press to help them in or out.

Freeing the linkage adjustment was not easy. Mine was rusted solid in-position. I used the shop press to break it free. Now it is easy to set, then secure in-position, using the bolt.

The cabin interior linkage bucket was removed, disassembled, cleaned, painted, lubed and reassembled. Particular attention was paid to the shaft and to the two plastic shoulder bearings. In my case there was corrosion bonded onto the two plastic shoulder bearings, The corrosion was scraped off carefully.

After reassembly the cabin interior bucket lever moved effortlessly.

When the entire linkage was reassembled, the cabin lever shifted the transfer case very smoothly, with little effort.

Cabin Lever Shifting Transfer Case Video

Before

After

post #70 of 73 Old 11-24-2015, 05:21 PM
xj607
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJs View Post
Nice, looks like they use the same rod ends as you can get at tractor supply.

Their site says that it is for the 231 on a aw4 XJ only, maybe you should email them letting them know it works on your ZJ
There the ones who told me it would work so I don't know why they don't have that posted, and I havnt done it personally, I made them for my buddies zj and my xjs
post #71 of 73 Old 12-02-2015, 08:27 AM
GreenHorn420

1998 ZJ 

Garage
why did you need to lengthen the shift lever? is it to align it with the shift plate? because i have a 242 Tcase in the 5.9 and it sits aligned naturally. do i need to flip the shift plate on the Tcase?
post #72 of 73 Old 12-02-2015, 10:39 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

It's to get enough travel out of the lever to cycle through all the positions on the case.

Quote:
post #73 of 73 Old 12-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Luke4010
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj607
So is it a sure thing that the 231 linkage they sell will work on my ZJ with a 231? Just want to make sure before I order.

Tags
cheap , fix , linkage , tranfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in