coolant temp sensor problem can't find the right part - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-14-2015, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

coolant temp sensor problem can't find the right part

So I went to replace the coolant sensor today and found out I have a one pin connector but the part store says I have a 2 pin connector everywhere I look its say 2 pins but it only fits 1 pin I found this odd I got a junk yard intake with this same 1 pin connector WTF going on? dose anyone have the real part number?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-14-2015, 01:54 AM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

You have two coolant sensors. I don't have the exact locations for the 5.2L, but one of them is a 2-pin and feeds the PCM, and the other is a 1-pin that drives the dash temp gauge. Later ZJs did away with the 1-pin and drove the gauge off the PCM sensor.

The part number you want is 56027012. You can take a look at one at RockAuto here. Click the "Next Image" arrow on the picture to cycle through and confirm that it's the 1-pin type you need. I've actually had that specific Standard Motor Products one in my 4.0L for the last 4 years.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-14-2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
You have two coolant sensors. I don't have the exact locations for the 5.2L, but one of them is a 2-pin and feeds the PCM, and the other is a 1-pin that drives the dash temp gauge. Later ZJs did away with the 1-pin and drove the gauge off the PCM sensor.

The part number you want is 56027012. You can take a look at one at RockAuto here. Click the "Next Image" arrow on the picture to cycle through and confirm that it's the 1-pin type you need. I've actually had that specific Standard Motor Products one in my 4.0L for the last 4 years.
I don't buy Standard Motor Products junk I only buy mopar. it ended up being being called coolant temp switch not sensor

post #4 of 17 Old 01-14-2015, 03:04 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Regardless, OBDI(93-95) has 2 and OBDII(96-98) has one. You were told. Be more gracious next time someone helps you, if they bother.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-14-2015, 03:52 PM
Cbob4

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkapower View Post
regardless, obdi(93-95) has 2 and obdii(96-98) has one. You were told. be more gracious next time someone helps you, if they bother.
x2...
post #6 of 17 Old 01-14-2015, 04:17 PM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbob4 View Post
x2...
x3

While Standard stuff may not be as good as it used to be, I still find it better than a lot of other brands out there these days. It's the way of the world. It's hard to find quality parts, quality partners, and quality traits. At least I can still find a good beer out there.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-14-2015, 05:55 PM
6x-gpapa
1993 ZJ 

X4

don't ask for help and screen out loud. be circumspect.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Technohead

1998 ZJ 

Whatever it is, once you replace it you will learn that the coolant temp sensor was not the problem but the silly VIC was . . .

Google is your friend.

-Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 17 Old 01-14-2015, 08:56 PM
1998_ZJltd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Whatever it is, once you replace it you will learn that the coolant temp sensor was not the problem but the silly VIC was . . .

Google is your friend.
but dont ask how to fix it here .... unless the attitude is a little bit better .....
post #10 of 17 Old 01-14-2015, 09:45 PM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoundel View Post
While Standard stuff may not be as good as it used to be, I still find it better than a lot of other brands out there these days
Well, as I mentioned my Standard temp sensor is working just fine after 4 years and it cost me about $10. Since all it does is drive the dash gauge I didn't see the point in spending almost three times that on a Mopar original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead
once you replace it you will learn that the coolant temp sensor was not the problem but the silly VIC was . . .
That's a thought. I assumed that he wanted the coolant temp sensor because his gauge wasn't working. I didn't think that it might be because he was getting "coolant sensor bad" messages on the VIC.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-14-2015, 11:54 PM
dflewelling
1995 ZJ 

Is what you're looking for called a "coolant temperature sending unit" rather than coolant temperature sensor?...or are the terms used interchangeably...lpl
post #12 of 17 Old 01-15-2015, 12:29 AM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

I've given him the correct part number. What he does with that information is up to him. Although given the way he responded, I've got a couple of suggestions

But it's actually called "SWITCH, Eng. Temp." in the Mopar parts catalog.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-19-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

it's actually called coolant temperature switch not coolant temperature sensor there are two very different things try walking to autozone and ask for a coolant temperature sensor they're going to look at you 4 heads especially when you mention the dash gauge which is coolant temperature switch not sensor trust me I tried this for a good two weeks going to different parts stores asking for a coolant temperature sensor not switch and I do know what I need because my temperature switch is broken in half. and for standard motor produc I bought an ECU from from it broke 3 miles down the road and then map sensor that I have stop working after 3000 miles departureit broke 3 miles down the road and then map sensor that I had stopped working after 3000 miles the part is junk
post #14 of 17 Old 01-19-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
tylersjeep
1994 ZJ 

and the temperature switches 1 pin temperature sensor is 2 pins
post #15 of 17 Old 01-19-2015, 03:32 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The vic doesn't monitor the temp, it monitors the level in the overflow bottle.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in