Coolant leak? Losing coolant. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 09-01-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

Coolant leak? Losing coolant.

I been having some coolant leaks for the last while. I checked the radiator and found a hairline crack on the left (facing the windshield). The side of the radiator where the crack is seems like metal. So I sealed it off with 100% silicone for a temporary fix. That leak stopped because there was no pooling below the radiator, but I was still losing coolant. I'm not talking a little bit, I mean I would fill my resivour to full and it would go down after a trip.

Today I was removing a 2 or so month old oil pressure switch when I noticed a hose connecting to the top of the resivour and followed it but it was cut off. Here are some pictures. Also theirs a plug in the picture that wasn't connected to anything?

Attached Thumbnails
image-787932767.jpg   image-2601124921.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-01-2012, 04:27 PM
sskilla

1995 ZJ 

is that the hose thats supposed to connect to the radiator just under the pressure cap?

'95 ZJ: 5.2 v8 / 231 Tcase / 46RH
post #3 of 22 Old 09-01-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

No it was tucked away in a corner. I read up and apparently it's the over flow drain. I though I was onto something about my leak. Weird thing is my temperature is always at 100. Also just recently I would remove the radiator cap to see if I was losing coolant in the radiator but that was always full till now.

post #4 of 22 Old 09-01-2012, 04:33 PM
sskilla

1995 ZJ 

always at 100??? sounds like your thermostat is stuck open.

post #5 of 22 Old 09-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Agent620

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think he means 100C as he is in Alberta.

Have you checked to see if the water pump is leaking? Also make sure its not leaking into your engine. I think the term is head gasket?
post #6 of 22 Old 09-01-2012, 04:41 PM
sskilla

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent620 View Post
I think he means 100C as he is in Alberta.

Have you checked to see if the water pump is leaking? Also make sure its not leaking into your engine. I think the term is head gasket?
ahhh, that does make more sense, my fault.

and i agree, if you're loosing coolant and you dont have puddles, check your oil and exhaust color to make sure its not leakin into the motor.

post #7 of 22 Old 09-01-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

I actually live in British Columbia I checked my oil and it was clean (dark but clean) no muddy coloration. How do I check the water pump? I have the 4.0L. Also how do I check the exhaust color and what should I look for?
post #8 of 22 Old 09-01-2012, 05:19 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

it's either going on the ground, through the engine, or into the engine. no drips on the ground and no milky oil leaves only one possibility.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 22 Old 09-01-2012, 05:27 PM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

I had an "invisible" coolant leak for a long time. There were no drips under the engine after it had been left standing, I couldn't see pooling on the crossmember under the rad, and there was no evidence of coolant in the oil. In the end it turned out that there was a hairline crack in the rad side tank, and the coolant was blowing away while the Jeep was being driven.

Almost immediately after I'd fixed that problem (new rad, plus new water pump etc) I discovered coolant dripping onto the exhaust. It was a rusted freeze plug.
post #10 of 22 Old 09-01-2012, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2
I had an "invisible" coolant leak for a long time. There were no drips under the engine after it had been left standing, I couldn't see pooling on the crossmember under the rad, and there was no evidence of coolant in the oil. In the end it turned out that there was a hairline crack in the rad side tank, and the coolant was blowing away while the Jeep was being driven.

Almost immediately after I'd fixed that problem (new rad, plus new water pump etc) I discovered coolant dripping onto the exhaust. It was a rusted freeze plug.
This is exactly the same. Exactly the same. When I pull it in the garage and idle it, no drips or pooling. I do have a hair line crack on the left side covered by silicone for a temp fix.

How would I check this "freeze plug"? Also is their a better fix for the hair line crack? Other then a new rad. I heard JB Weld, Canadian tire carries a high heat epoxy stick or marine weld epoxy stick?
post #11 of 22 Old 09-01-2012, 07:29 PM
timmay5309

1998 ZJ 

My radiator developed the same problem with the hair line crack and the fan was blowing it around. I changed the radiator, and while I was at it, the water pump, thermostat, radiator cap and all of the hoses. The total was under $250 for everything from buying the parts online at Rock Auto.com The Spectra Premium radiator has held up very well for me. Personally, I am not a fan of temp fixes unless I am trying to get the Jeep home to fix it.
post #12 of 22 Old 09-01-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

A side note, is this part of the radiator metal? If so I can get it welded for a fix. Also, where are the freeze plugs so I can check them to see if they are the issue?

Thats the silicone covering the crack in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
image-3891844907.jpg  
post #13 of 22 Old 09-02-2012, 03:38 AM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

The freeze plugs are on the driver's side of the engine underneath the intake manifold and exhaust header. Since they're mostly obscured by the exhaust header they can be difficult to see. They're the brass circles on the side of the engine here:

Unless they've previously been replaced on your engine, you won't have non-corroding brass ones, they'll be the cheapskate factory steel, and they'll be the same colour as the rest of the engine.
Apparently there's one more on the end of the block facing the firewall, which you can only replace by pulling the engine.
post #14 of 22 Old 09-02-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

Yea I don't think I got the money not the resources to put in new freezer plugs. Hahah, I'm going to look into soldering the crack in my radiator though. Also get it pressure tested. Thanks alot every one, real helpful!
post #15 of 22 Old 09-02-2012, 02:43 PM
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Spend the money and replace the Rad.... You won't regret it...... When the Rad splits wide open and your out in the middle of nowhere and the motor toasts itself and your about to freeze to death, well, you get the idea.
A lot of the Canadian/Northern American Jeeps came with block heaters that fit into one of the freeze plug holes (proper term is core plug). These were notorious for leaking as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in