Which computer - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-27-2021, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Which computer

so Do you Guys have a brand of replacement Computer for Our 95 V8 ZJ Jeeps.
. My tech called to day & say my old engine computer is not waking up at times & Keeping my Jeep from cranking . CarDone has one .& He said he has always just bought them from Auto Zone . He says he has less issues with their warranties . What's your opinions.
... About $140.00 buck. That sounded good to me .
.. & Remember as far back as when I was still in the parts business .
I hated selling someone a computer. one in seven might be good .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-27-2021, 07:06 PM
Jolly-Roger

1996 ZJ 

I do not have much experience in the ECM replacement. I have read a few post and see some Youtube videos. Looks like just about any brand has their ups and downs. Biggest issue I seen is making sure they order it for the V8 vs. the Inline 6.

Jolly-Roger 96 GC Limited 242 TC, u-jont axle swap
Badwolf 14 Wrangler Sahara
post #3 of 16 Old 09-27-2021, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Yes at least they say their on the V8. .. I hope so.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-28-2021, 04:24 AM
rep-tile
Cash 4 clunkers survivor

2004 WJ 

Computer has nothing to do with cranking.

04 WJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, DB-ALL
91 XJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, Stage-2 aFe intake system, BBK high flow Throttle Body, 703s injectors, Jones Exhaust A3518M-5

2020 RECOUNT
post #5 of 16 Old 09-28-2021, 07:54 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I’ve had fine luck with cardone PCM’s.

I agree with rep-tile, the computer isn’t involved in cranking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-28-2021, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
... Well I guess we'll see when it gets here then .
When he turns the key to the own position .. If the check engine light comes on & flashes then the Jeep cranks right up.
But if it's turned own & No check engine light is on then it'll turn over for ever & not start.
.SO DO YOU 2 HAVE an idea as to what it is if it's not the computer not coming alive or waking up.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-28-2021, 07:35 PM
JonMopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep-tile View Post
Computer has nothing to do with cranking.
Wait…It doesn’t?? lol

98 Laredo ZJ 4L -3.73, 5.9 "ultrastar" rims, slotted brakes, Dynomax turbo, CAI.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-29-2021, 05:15 AM
RDC_ZJ
1996 ZJ 

On this vehicle it really doesn't. The ignition switch, a relay, battery, starter, wires and connectors are about all that is involved there with 'cranking' the engine over. Reading sensors, making plugs fire and giving it fuel at the right time so it starts and then runs is the job of the ECM.

I'd wonder if the ignition switch (electrical part of it) might be flakey, and would try giving it a jiggle when you turn it forward and get CEL on the dash to see if that could be it. Could be some bad solder joints or capacitors in the ECM causing it to be all intermittent.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-29-2021, 05:16 AM
Jolly-Roger

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papitt View Post
... Well I guess we'll see when it gets here then .
When he turns the key to the own position .. If the check engine light comes on & flashes then the Jeep cranks right up.
But if it's turned own & No check engine light is on then it'll turn over for ever & not start.
.SO DO YOU 2 HAVE an idea as to what it is if it's not the computer not coming alive or waking up.
Mine was having a similar issue right after I bought it and started working on it. But mine would crank regardless. It rand fine one start, then for a few days it ran like it had the wrong computer in it. I never was able to track down what the issue was. I can however relate to the waking up issue. The fuel gauge wouldn't move even though I knew it had a fuel take and truck was running. The overdrive button light would flicker on and off. Try to hook up several different OBDII readers and none of them could connect. Once I realized the computer was being read I was able to get it to work. I believe my ECM is probably on its way out, and I am not comfortable enough to do the repair as I have seen posted here. So i will be in search of one I believe.

Jolly-Roger 96 GC Limited 242 TC, u-jont axle swap
Badwolf 14 Wrangler Sahara
post #10 of 16 Old 09-29-2021, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Well he got the computer & put it on . & It's running I'm going to go pick it up in the morning & start driving it daily. He also got my Temp gauge fixed ... It hasn't worked in about 2 years . & He added a relay onto some running lights . I haven't heard the story on what was causing my wiring & switch to get so hot. But I had a pair of LED running light added as fog lamps would be used. But man the switch would get hot in just a few minutes .
... But I'm glad to have the temp gauge working .
& We'' see if it cranks every time now .
.......... We go hunting in New Mexico each year now for about the last 20 years . I believe we've missed 3 years in the last 20. But this year his Bronco is getting a new motor & it doesn't look like we'll get to take it. SO Now we're planning on taking my Jeep . SO I'm going to start driving it daily .
post #11 of 16 Old 09-29-2021, 09:08 PM
RDC_ZJ
1996 ZJ 

Switch and or the wiring was most likely only rated for a few Amps, and the LED lights are pulling a bit more than that, hence the heat as that becomes a bottle neck for the current to get where it's needed. A few Amp rating is more than enough to drive a Relay coil though, then the contacts of the Relay can handle 30A or more.
post #12 of 16 Old 09-30-2021, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
SO I got my ZJ home this evening .. I drove it around about 45minutes I suppose . If I was just looking at the stock electric temperature gauge .. I'd be scared to death that it was way to hot . But I had a thermal gun ''From Harbor FREIGHT'' ABOUT $25.00.. I checked my temp & I read 195 several different places .
If someone can post a picture for me I'll send you my cell no .heck 254-592-5455. & I'll send you a picture of the gauge on my dash. It's setting on the mark pasted the 210 mark. But it was not running like it's hot.
.......... It ran great as for the rest of the items he fixed .
I now have AC... COOLING & my heater/ ac blower is blowing on all speeds. Temp is reading on dash . Cruise control is working . Horn honks. My fog lamps have a new switch . & RADIO is working & & Battery is not going dead in 2 days.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-30-2021, 03:57 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Which computer

210 at the gauge is normal operating temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 16 Old 09-30-2021, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Well the needle on the gauge on the dash. Is pointing to the mark to the right of the 210 mark.
But when I shoot the thermostats housing area I got 210 & 212. On my 2nd run this evening .
I went down & took the neighbor for a ride . SO THE 2ND TIME It did get hotter than the 1st trip.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-01-2021, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
so todays drive it was hot to say the gauge on the dash should be maybe 230+ but AGAIN WHEN I Used my temp gun it was only about 210+ at it's worst.
........ It seems worse than I'M BEGING IT TO REALLY BE ..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in