Clicking sound coming from the front of my Jeep. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 03-10-2016, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Faded_Ace
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
That's what he means by binding. In sharp turns if it hops, drags tires, and you need to give it gas to keep going then the viscous coupler inside the t case has gone bad. This happens slowly over time.
WHen this goes out it's pretty much sending power to the front wheels all of the time instead of only when needed so it puts a lot of wear and tear on the front end components.
The VC is a replace only part, it's a sealed unit with a special fluid inside that instantly hardens with friction. When the fluid gets old and wears out, it stays hard.
Oil changes do not help since it's a sealed up part, you just need to replace it or swap t cases.

Here is an exploded view. It fits on the shaft and the discs inside spin at different rates when the tires slip which causes friction and heats the fluid up which instantly hardens and applies power to the slipping tire/tires.
On the 93-95 the power split is 50/50 front to rear so the VC wears out a bit quicker. 96/98 they changed it to where the power split is 10/90 front to rear.
It's not as instantaneous as the earlier model 249.

If you don't replace the VC or do a t case swap, you will just be replacing parts on a regular basis.
THIS is exactly what I was looking to hear! I guess I'm gonna go pick up that NP242 today and order the seals for it. Just as you explained, I'm only having issues with my front u-joints. I'm also noticing there's some lateral play on my front driveshaft that wasn't there before. I swear I'm in love with my ZJ, I need to get her fixed. Thanks for the info man!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 03-10-2016, 07:10 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded_Ace View Post
Not sure what you mean by binding. But I'll have my foot steady on the gas while making a sharp turn and she's really jumpy. Sometimes when I press the gas to start driving it'll take a second to start moving and then all of a sudden, BAM she'll jump forwards. Is that what you mean by binding? If the vibrations and sounds aren't coming from the VC then I'm 95% sure it's probably from the u-joints.
Yeah, thats exactly it and yes, that would destroy u-joints right quick.
Faded_Ace likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #18 of 23 Old 03-10-2016, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Faded_Ace
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Yeah, thats exactly it and yes, that would destroy u-joints right quick.
Thanks for the quick response man. So that's two people verifying my VC has gone bad. The support for jeeps on this community is unmatched. I've had a couple people who are "Experts" take a look at my jeep and they couldn't tell me what was wrong. I come here, within 24 hours I already know what the problem is! I'm gonna get to fixing it asap, I'll post an update when I've done the swap.

post #19 of 23 Old 03-10-2016, 07:17 AM
GOLDWING

1998 ZJ 

The driveshaft u-joints aren't the only victims of a worn out VC. Ring and pinion gears and axle joints can be broken by the binding also. I hope that you have caught it in time that it's only the DS u-joints that were hurt.

GW

"The Dude Abides"
post #20 of 23 Old 03-10-2016, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Faded_Ace
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWING View Post
The driveshaft u-joints aren't the only victims of a worn out VC. Ring and pinion gears and axle joints can be broken by the binding also. I hope that you have caught it in time that it's only the DS u-joints that were hurt.

GW
Ahhh, that's not what I want to hear lol. I hope I caught it in time as well! If I'm still having issues after the TC swap, I'll be sure to report back here. Here's to hoping my u-joints are the only issue.
post #21 of 23 Old 05-13-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Faded_Ace
1993 ZJ 

So, I'm back! I've got some great news and some bad news. I'll start with the good news first. I replaced my balljoint as well as all my ujoints on my front an rear driveshaft. I also removed my old 249 and threw it in the trash after swapping it for a 242! Everything is pretty much prefect. I also changed the bezel and I even changed the wiring to get my VIC to display the new modes. There's absolutely no sound or vibrations while driving and I can change between 2wd and 4wd. Life is great, except for my new road block. I'm leaking ATF everywhere . The levels in my transfer case haven't drained at all, so I know it's not coming from there. I know where it's coming from but I don't remember seeing any seals there. Here's a picture of where the leak is dripping from.

I was planning on just taking it off and seeing if I can figure it out on my own. However, I'd like to get some input from the community first. Did I miss a step in the swap, am I missing a seal or did I not tighten something fully?

Last edited by Faded_Ace; 05-13-2016 at 03:37 PM.
post #22 of 23 Old 05-13-2016, 03:54 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The seal at the back of the trans is probably leaking. It seals around the input shaft.

You did swap input shafts right?

You may have just damaged the seal when you installed the case, should be quick to replace once you pull the case off.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #23 of 23 Old 05-14-2016, 09:15 AM
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Any reasonable driveline shop should be able to do new u-joints and centering ball pretty quick and cheap.
not the ones around here... i was quoted almost as much as a complete reman driveshaft would have cost...

Tags
clicking , clicking noise , drive shaft , transfer case , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in