• 1 Post By JaimeZX
  • 1 Post By zjosh93

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-12-2021, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

Child seat questions (two)

Hey guys - Couple questions for you:

1) Obviously a 1995 has no LATCH system. No worries, I can use that extra buckle / belt tightener thing to lock the belt in place for seat-belt install. With the top/center Tether - what are you all doing? I'm currently 6000 miles away from my Jeep so no way to run out and do a quick inspection; will be back in a few weeks. What is the situation with the vehicle body a few inches behind the seat? Is there a place where I can just drill a hole through and install an Eye Bolt with a big washer on the back side? (Obviously those screw-in cargo loops are worthless.)

I'm thinking something like this -

2) Of course, life would be much easier if the seatbelts had a centrifugal lock. My thinking... So many WJ parts fit onto the ZJ, are the rear seatbelts one of them? If so, do WJ seatbelts have the centrifugal lock? I'd just grab some belts out of the JY and swap 'em in...

What do you all think? Thanks!

Edit: BONUS QUESTION - what car seat do you have in your ZJ, and would you recommend it? This is for a 5 y.o.

HassZJ1998 likes this.

HID Projector retro! https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/hid-projector-retrofit-build-thread-3082289/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-13-2021, 10:29 AM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

I think the issue with the wj belts in a zj is will the buckles clip into the latches and will they stay in an accident?

How much does your 5y/o weigh? Over 40 lbs your child can use a booster seat correct?

Tbh if no one sits up front that would be an option. My wife sits very far forward in a car with no adjustable peddles she had a guy run a red light almost all the airbags deployed and dispite how far forward she was the airbag deployed and deflated before she even knew it went off it was already drooping down.

My 11 y/o was born at 24 weeks and 6 days and she did need a child seat for about a year longer, she's about the size of an 8 y/o
HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-13-2021, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for the reply!

* With the WJ seat belts, I would grab the whole shebang. I'm not sold on this idea, just spitballing.

* 5yo currently 36 lbs; I'm guessing he'll be 40 in the Aug-Sep timeframe? 2 yo only 26lbs though so this'll be an issue for a while yet. Our Odyssey is clearly a better vehicle for this, but this fall my wife is going to have to drop them off at school and I'll pick them up; so we're going to need a set of seats for each vehicle...
HassZJ1998 likes this.

HID Projector retro! https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/hid-projector-retrofit-build-thread-3082289/

post #4 of 15 Old 06-13-2021, 04:08 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Been there man it gets pricey. The big question is mounting if they're the same or not I can't remember. What I do know is the wj rear buckles do fold fold with the seat back at least from what I can remember.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-14-2021, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

LOL I could just hop over to the WJ forum and ask questions there... haha

post #6 of 15 Old 06-14-2021, 05:01 AM
HassZJ1998

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeZX View Post
Hey guys - Couple questions for you:

1) Obviously a 1995 has no LATCH system. No worries, I can use that extra buckle / belt tightener thing to lock the belt in place for seat-belt install. With the top/center Tether - what are you all doing? I'm currently 6000 miles away from my Jeep so no way to run out and do a quick inspection; will be back in a few weeks. What is the situation with the vehicle body a few inches behind the seat? Is there a place where I can just drill a hole through and install an Eye Bolt with a big washer on the back side? (Obviously those screw-in cargo loops are worthless.)

I'm thinking something like this -

2) Of course, life would be much easier if the seatbelts had a centrifugal lock. My thinking... So many WJ parts fit onto the ZJ, are the rear seatbelts one of them? If so, do WJ seatbelts have the centrifugal lock? I'd just grab some belts out of the JY and swap 'em in...

What do you all think? Thanks!

Edit: BONUS QUESTION - what car seat do you have in your ZJ, and would you recommend it? This is for a 5 y.o.
back in 1995, i worked for the Jeep distributor, i remember there was an extra option from the factory for a "built-in" child seat in the armrest of the rear bench, it used to he 2 halves, you unfold the upper half up and the lower half down (obviously, sorry) and there is a built in childseat complete with harness.

it can also accommodate a bigger childseat on top of it for smaller children.

since you might visit the junkyard, maybe you can find a whole OEM seat !!

hope this helps

good luck

please take a look at my posts maybe you can help me, i always appreciate any feedback, thank you.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-14-2021, 07:42 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

We have been using the Graco 4Ever DLX (https://www.amazon.com/Graco-4Ever-D.../dp/B07J37RTPG). My daughter is 4 1/2 and about 43 lbs (I'm 6'6" and she got the tallness).

As for the latch points, the spot you have marked is right about where the OEM cargo loops are. Should be right over the rear axle so should be room to add a loop. Just look under and plan it out first and look up the specs on the latch anchor position. IMS they are supposed to go up and back or straight down but I could be mistaken.

I was looking at this when my oldest daughter was born. The infant car seat didn't need the upper tiedown and could use the center seat non-retractable buckle. But we wanted two so something would need to happed. Which turned out to be the 42RE going bad and me buying a Forester. Now my sister drives the ZJ with her one kiddo so it's fine.

There is a thread here or maybe just out on the web were someone welded in latch anchors to the rear seat frame. It might also include info on the upper anchors but I can't find it offhand.
HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-14-2021, 11:54 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
There is a thread here or maybe just out on the web were someone welded in latch anchors to the rear seat frame. It might also include info on the upper anchors but I can't find it offhand.
It hides pretty well in Timo's build thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197...l#post28522537

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-14-2021, 12:12 PM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
It hides pretty well in Timo's build thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197...l#post28522537
Ah! I thought it was Timo but didn't want to guess and be wrong.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-14-2021, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

[deleted].

post #11 of 15 Old 06-14-2021, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
We have been using the Graco 4Ever DLX (https://www.amazon.com/Graco-4Ever-D.../dp/B07J37RTPG). My daughter is 4 1/2 and about 43 lbs (I'm 6'6" and she got the tallness).
Cool. Wow, 4-in-1 seat!

Quote:
As for the latch points, the spot you have marked is right about where the OEM cargo loops are. Should be right over the rear axle so should be room to add a loop. Just look under and plan it out first and look up the specs on the latch anchor position. IMS they are supposed to go up and back or straight down but I could be mistaken.
I don't recall any loops there, but annoyingly it's impossible for me to check right now... from 6000 miles. That would sure make life easier! Are they under the carpet? As to the anchor position, I've seen them all over the place; I think the important bit is that it's behind the seat, since the intent is to keep the child seat from moving forward in a crash.

Quote:
I was looking at this when my oldest daughter was born. The infant car seat didn't need the upper tiedown and could use the center seat non-retractable buckle. But we wanted two so something would need to happed. Which turned out to be the 42RE going bad and me buying a Forester. Now my sister drives the ZJ with her one kiddo so it's fine.
Heh. That is a technique. lol

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
Thanks guys!

post #12 of 15 Old 06-15-2021, 07:41 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeZX View Post
I don't recall any loops there, but annoyingly it's impossible for me to check right now... from 6000 miles. That would sure make life easier! Are they under the carpet? As to the anchor position, I've seen them all over the place; I think the important bit is that it's behind the seat, since the intent is to keep the child seat from moving forward in a crash.
I thought they were there on all the ZJs. Your cargo liner has the rectangles marked out over the loop locations. I assume so you could cut out and use them. I don't think I'd trust the loops for an anchor point though. They're probably to far to the side anyway. But the fact that they are there probably means the sheet metal is good enough and there are no issues with clearance underneath.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-15-2021, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

That's just a random picture I grabbed off the internet to draw dots on. But anyway... interesting. When I get back to the Jeep I'll check there for anchor points. Thanks again!

post #14 of 15 Old 06-15-2021, 03:03 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Your cargo liner has the rectangles marked out over the loop locations.

I drilled mine out when I puled the carpet. They are NOT safe for child seat use as they are only pop riveted in place. they are meant more for light weight cargo control. I had considered using bolt in anchor loops for a replacement ( https://www.lowes.com/pd/CargoSmart-...-PC/5001906019 ) but i am opting to go with custom cut L Track instead as it will allow me more flexibility to future plans.

Follow the build!

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, its too stupid to know its supposed to die.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-16-2021, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

Yeah I gotcha. Makes sense!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in