Check engine light issues & AC - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-27-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Keepemrunning

Check engine light issues & AC

Hi everyone. I have not been on this site before. If anyone can help with some questions I would welcome any help and responses.

My Jeep was purchased new. It is a 1998 Grand Cherokee 4WD with an inline 6-cyl engine. Current miles is 328,288. Just this year I had to fix my first oil pan, a seal and trans pan leaks. Since owning the Jeep, I have had a fuel pump (right after the warranty went out), two A/Cís, 2-tansmissions (not really sure I needed any of them), power steering pump, main computer module, catalytic converter and real axle seal on one wheel. The Jeep engine runs very good and really have not had any problems with the engine.

Here are the current issues;
For over 6-years, just after putting on a new catalytic converter the engine light comes on. Most of the time the reading is gas cap, emissions and one mechanic told me there is engine knock. I think it is a bad sensor between the catalytic converter and the muffler or a short circuit in the dash. Years ago, the Jeep dealership said I needed a new main computer module to correct the issue with the check engine light from coming on. However, that did not do anything as the light still came on after a few days. I have since been using another independent shop. There are only a few Jeep dealerships in my area and one will not work on Jeeps older than 10-years. I have disconnected the battery to reset the engine light many times as well as had the shop clear it. I have used fuel cleaners to the gas and the light still comes on. I have been told that the catalytic converter is not the issue. As for engine knock, I have driven the Jeep over 150-miles on a two-way trip and the engine light did not come on, after a reset at the start of the trip, until I was a block from the house at the end of the trip. I think that rules out engine knock or emission issues. No one seems to be able to determine the issue with the engine light since the codes vary with the readings. Anyone of you having the same issues?

A/C issue; At the end of the winter in 2017 I had to have a new A/C compressor, again. It does get warm down south during the winter at times. One day the A/C was not putting out cold air and another day it was. Most of the time the A/C puts out 60-deg air and one day it put out 40-deg air. I put a thermostat in the vent to read the air temp. My Toyota Corolla A/C puts out 45-deg air constant. The Jeep used to put out very cold air prior to the A/C work. Also, the A/C on uphill and take off the damper closes. It had been doing that prior to the compressor going out. It seems there is a vacuum leak maybe under the dash that causes this from what I have read and been told. Taking out the dash is a pain but maybe I will do it if the shop can get the A/C to provide a better cold air output. Anyone have any ideas on why the A/C will not put out colder air and any input on the damper issue?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-27-2017, 04:17 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
the codes would tell more than the story......clearing them does nothing why bother? not like clearing them makes the issue go away. hard to believe a dealer would not work on a 10 year old jeep.? money is money i would think.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-22-2021, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Keepemrunning

Thought I would add the fix on the catalytic converter engine light issue. Needed a different catalytic converter. The previous shop must have put on one that was not right for my vehicle. The catalytic converter had not gone bad but was just wrong for the vehicle. Different muffler shop put a different one and no more engine light problems. 6-years with the engine light problem all due from a shop not putting on the correct one for my vehicle.
As for the AC issue going on and off. It goes off on hot days. Sometimes just sitting in the hot sun and the vehicle has not been run, I go out to go somewhere and the fan does not come on until after the car cools down inside using open windows and putting the outside vent setting to circulate air. I have replaced the fan and two blower motor resistors. I think it is the resistors are not what they used to be. The resistors have ceramic looking blocks and the old one did not have such a block. After the inside air cools down and was circulated via vents the fan comes on and I can switch over to AC. I did have to change the polarity on the new fan blower to get air coming out of the vents.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-22-2021, 05:39 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

only issue is the AC, You had polarity problem with blower, not unexpected with aftermarkey inexpensive parts.

when the fan is inop check the blower motor is it getting 12v red wire and is the blk wire a good ground?
Looking if there is a power (red) or control (ground) problem.

Is the HVAC shifting mode (heat-dash-defrost) still an issue?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-22-2021, 09:53 PM
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
.. WOW YOUR STORY sound like so many I used to hear. From 1996 until 911. I worked as a P.R.REP.FOR AN automotive firm. I hear so many stories about shops like you described .. Replacing your Cat with the wrong part. Or Just plain screwing you Vehicle up in general..
... But the trade Mag's did want me stirring up issues in the Auto repair business..
I thought I could tell a new story each month .
....After my stint with the AUTOMOTIVE PARTS Firm .. I went to work as a service Advisor.
... SO AT THE stearlership . Our techs were much better but still no where close to perfect. EVEN WITH Chrysler parts .
... I said I'd give the real world tech about a 45 to 55 score but I did think our dealer ship was up at about a 75 to 80 score .. But I saw so much cheating / Stealing even at the Dealership ..
... AFTER 11 YEARS ... I finally QUIT & Walked out .. Flipped um the BIRD & Told Um I'm not dishonest enough to work for you SOB's ........
..... keep reading late post & Searching . After however many years I've been on here . I find If I try hard enough I can find that hidden jim to fix my problem .
... We worked on a lot of these Jeeps & We had all the same issues as your describing .. We did not fix ever Jeep either at the dealership. & I felt a lot of people got shafted on us GUESSING AT WHAT THEIR JEEP NEEDED .
I BOUGHT My 1st 2 Jeeps..from Customer that didn't want to pay the bills accumulated .. From a Tech trying to fix the Jeep. Boss man said charge -um.
.........About half the repair jobs are a rip off.
........ Wonder how many I'll piss off with this post. Sorry what I saw in my many years of service.
To give you an Ideal of how much service I wrote .. We worked on 100 Dodge Diesel truck per week. & About 10 Jeeps .& Maybe 20 or 25 others...
post #6 of 8 Old 09-23-2021, 05:36 AM
V8GCZJ

When the check engine light comes on again get the code/s read and post them. When the cat was replaced was the 02 sensors also replaced and if so what brand? The ac issue is probably the blend door issue.
https://heatertreater.net/jeep-grand-cherokee-98-04
post #7 of 8 Old 09-23-2021, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Keepemrunning

The different cycles work fine; defrost, AC, outside air, heat etc. All fan speeds work. I had replaced the manual control unit a few years ago thinking that was the issue. I think the issue was the old resistor or fan blower was going bad. First I replaced the Control unit, then time went by and I replaced the blower resistor, time went buy, then replaced the blower fan and resistor. The only issue is on hot days, especially if the vehicle has been sitting in the hot sun, the blower will not come on until air has circulated through the ducts. Which can only happen when the vehicle is moving and the outside air setting is selected. Oh hot days in the deep south it takes a while to cool down the ducts. I really do not think it is a short, ground or voltage issue I think those resistors get hot and shut down. On days or mornings before it gets really hot the AC fan comes on. I have had the fan stop on hot days while in heavy traffic and not moving much.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-24-2021, 07:06 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

my suggestion to check voltage at time of issue was to determine where to go next.
blower getting no power OR getting no ground then we check that side of system. Diagnosing step by step.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in