4Likes
  • 3 Post By Timo_90xj
  • 1 Post By greers85

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-25-2021, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
greers85

Garage
Catalytic Converter

I am in Texas where we have emission inspections each year. The way I understand it is that once a vehicle turns 25 then they no longer require it. I am in the process of building a 4.6 and by time I finish the ZJ will be 25. Is there anything specific I need to watch out for if I want to go back with no Cat? Computer issues and such? Also I am fine going back with a high flow cat if I have to. Just curious on the effect of deleting it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-25-2021, 11:58 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I'm not from the USA, but as far as I know it's a federal regulation for all vehicles to have a cat converter if it came with one from the factory. I honestly see no issue with high-flow cat converters, they don't restrict exhaust flow that much and they keep the air we breath cleaner.
The converter cell in the 3" inlet-outlet Magnaflow converter I have in my 5.9 is about 4" long, and it passes our emissions test - about same requirements as Cali emissions - with flying colors. I've had the cat out at one point for other repairs, I felt zero difference in power with the converter removed.

If your Jeep is a '96-'98, do keep in mind the rear O2 sensor also slightly affects the A/F ratio; rear O2 sensor adjusts the so called goal voltage for the front O2 sensor.
Kolak, 1996maroonzjf and jtec like this.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #3 of 5 Old 11-26-2021, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
greers85

Garage
Ok, that makes alot of sense and honestly what I was for. If there is a chance that it can affect engine management then I will just plan to go back with a high flow cat. Thanks!
Timo_90xj likes this.

post #4 of 5 Old 11-26-2021, 09:41 PM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Also, a reminder that, since it is never legal to remove emissions equipment at the federal level, the mods will shut down any thread that veers into discussion on removing the cat. If you want to get even more flow from your cat, you can always go bigger. On my 93 4.0 I installed a 3" cat (something like a 4 or 4.5 inch core) after the 2.5" cat (was a little smaller core) died. Just make sure you are actually getting a larger core than the regular 2.5" cat. High flow cats don't cost much power at stock Jeep horse powers.
post #5 of 5 Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
greers85

Garage
Well then we are definitely not talking about removing it. This although a small post has been a wealth of knowledge. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in