Cargo shade - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-06-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
94grand52
1994 ZJ 

Cargo shade

Can someone post some pictures of the cargo shade hook points, I got one from a salvage yard but not sure how it installs exactly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-06-2015, 07:09 PM
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

Funny I had my hands on yesterday.

I put it back because I I took off the mounts when installing my thunderbox.

Anyway, there are 2 mounts that mount just right behind the seat backs. The screen just squeezes between them.

The next part I had to think a Iittle. You have to have a rear window that opens because there are two holes in the plastic trim of the hatch where the hooks of the screen attach to. You have close the hatch open the window and pull the screen and lock in place.

Maybe you don't need a opening window.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-06-2015, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
94grand52
1994 ZJ 

I hope not mine is a 94 with fixed rear glass

post #4 of 10 Old 12-06-2015, 07:13 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94grand52 View Post
Can someone post some pictures of the cargo shade hook points, I got one from a salvage yard but not sure how it installs exactly.
The hooks face up as well.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-06-2015, 08:24 PM
fishermandave95
1995 ZJ 

I got one gave to me im rigging it up to make a sun shade when the back hatch is open for fishing and camping

JEEP WAVE Y'ALL

I FISH THEREFORE I AM !!
post #6 of 10 Old 12-06-2015, 10:44 PM
herculeesjr
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit77 View Post
Funny I had my hands on yesterday.

I put it back because I I took off the mounts when installing my thunderbox.

Anyway, there are 2 mounts that mount just right behind the seat backs. The screen just squeezes between them.

The next part I had to think a Iittle. You have to have a rear window that opens because there are two holes in the plastic trim of the hatch where the hooks of the screen attach to. You have close the hatch open the window and pull the screen and lock in place.

Maybe you don't need a opening window.
You do not need a rear window to operate the cover as the cover has a handle on the top and bottom. Just be sure to have both hooks properly attached to the rear hatch before letting go when you have the hatch open and are thus under the cargo cover. That is a solid steel rod in the end of the cargo cover and it can seriously knock someone out with how strong the spring is when it comes free and rewinds like a giant tape measure. It was not even funny when it happened to me. Well it is now. But dear god that hurt!
post #7 of 10 Old 12-06-2015, 10:49 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herqulees View Post
You do not need a rear window to operate the cover as the cover has a handle on the top and bottom. Just be sure to have both hooks properly seated in their mounts before letting go when you have the hatch open and are thus under the cargo cover. That is a solid steel rod in the end of the cargo cover and it can seriously knock someone out with how strong the spring is. It was not even funny when it happened to me.
Mine was hollow steel tubing with a plastic cap in it. I had to trim mine to fit as my shade was designed for a compact spare..
post #8 of 10 Old 12-06-2015, 10:50 PM
herculeesjr
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94grand52 View Post
If your Jeep did not come with one stock (someone please chime in if that was ever a thing for the ZJ to not come with it) then I imagine your Jeep will not have the holes in your rear hatch to latch it to. However it should be as simple as either cutting your own holes at the cost of looking ugly and possibly not having a secure hold, or going back to the junkyard and take the rear hatch card (not the whole hatch) off of a Jeep that had one.

EDIT: After a Google search I managed to find this picture of a rear hatch in another thread. JeepForum See those two holes below the rear glass and above the carpet on the hatch? That is where the hooks go.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-06-2015, 10:56 PM
AlamoJeeper

1995 ZJ 

I looked at a '95 Laredo which had the cover. It attached to plastic fittings on the sides of the cargo compartment behind the top of the rear seat backs. The rear end could be attached to the rear hatch (non opening rear window). When the hatch was opened, the cover would extend and rise with the hatch so that the area under the cover was accessible.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images

AlamoJeeper
- 1995 4.0L NP249 - mostly stock
- Link to rehabbing my 1995 ZJ.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-06-2015, 11:20 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yep, thats what it should be. I've never heard of a ZJ not coming with the cover, I guess it's certainly possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in