Canned Hemifever Tune? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kolak

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-12-2020, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
norconick

Canned Hemifever Tune?

I want a Hemifever tune (or possibly an old 3815 Superchips tuner) for my 5.9 limited.

My question is: if I buy this married SCT X3 3200 tuner off this guy do I have to get it unmarried by sct AND buy a canned tune from Hemifever, or can I just buy a canned tune from hemifever for it and it works?

Shipping and exchange rate up here in Canada are killing us. I know hemifever sells their own controller loaded with tunes for only $200 USD more than just their software but after exchange, shipping, and border charges it's up around $350 CAD to do it that way. And I'd have to wait a couple weeks.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1510151329

'98 ZJ 5.9 Limited -- 284k kms
'08 Escape Hybrid AWD -- 532k kms
'04 VW Jetta TDI -- 408k kms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-12-2020, 02:58 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

A) If the x3 is married you need SCT to get it unmarried AFAIK.

B) Use flyinryan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-12-2020, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
norconick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
A) If the x3 is married you need SCT to get it unmarried AFAIK.

B) Use flyinryan
I see. Why flyinryan?

'98 ZJ 5.9 Limited -- 284k kms
'08 Escape Hybrid AWD -- 532k kms
'04 VW Jetta TDI -- 408k kms

post #4 of 8 Old 07-12-2020, 03:09 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

He has a record of fixing problems with hemifever tunes. Generally I think he understands these engines better.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-12-2020, 07:43 PM
jeepjeepster

Ive been trying to get flyinryan to give me an updated tune for around 3 years now.... Take that for what its worth...

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi
post #6 of 8 Old 07-12-2020, 11:41 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by norconick View Post
I want a Hemifever tune (or possibly an old 3815 Superchips tuner) for my 5.9 limited.
No, you certainly don't. Get a Flyin' Ryan tune if you want your Jeep to run propeprly.

When Ryan shipped me the SCT X3 handheld, price on the package was marked for the tuner price only so I only had to pay the import/ custom taxes for the device only, not the price of the device + tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post
Ive been trying to get flyinryan to give me an updated tune for around 3 years now.... Take that for what its worth...
How have you tried getting in contact with him? I haven't had a single issue, reacheable through both Flyin' Ryan performance facebook group and e-mail. It occasionally might take a couple days for him to reply to emails due to his dayjob, but I've gotten replies every single time.

What do you mean by "been trying to get flyinryan to give an updated tune"? No shop gives you tunes, you gotta pay for it. If you've bought a canned tune, you gotta pay for an update. If you buy a custom tune, you get a couple free tune updates after datalogging and sending the datalog file to Ryan.
If you you modify and need an update, you obviously pay for the new tune as well.
Each and every single company I know here in Finland doing custom tunes works exactly the same way - you pay for what they do to your vehicle.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #7 of 8 Old 07-13-2020, 11:35 AM
jeepjeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post

How have you tried getting in contact with him? I haven't had a single issue, reacheable through both Flyin' Ryan performance facebook group and e-mail. It occasionally might take a couple days for him to reply to emails due to his dayjob, but I've gotten replies every single time.

What do you mean by "been trying to get flyinryan to give an updated tune"? No shop gives you tunes, you gotta pay for it. If you've bought a canned tune, you gotta pay for an update. If you buy a custom tune, you get a couple free tune updates after datalogging and sending the datalog file to Ryan.
If you you modify and need an update, you obviously pay for the new tune as well.
Each and every single company I know here in Finland doing custom tunes works exactly the same way - you pay for what they do to your vehicle.
I got in when ryan had unlimited custom tunes, this was sometime around fall 2013/spring 2014. You could pay for a canned tune or unlimited tunes. Got a canned tune, did some more mods, got a custom tune but he set it up to keep the converter unlocked when you have O/D off. I asked for an updated tune that locks the converter so that I can tow things and not overheat the transmission. He asked some questions, no updated tune. I've asked a few times between then and now, he'll ask some questions then fizzle away. The tune is great and I kinda like the converter not locking when O/D is off, its great for backroads with lots of curves. I've got a large cooler so when not towing, Im not worried about the trans overheating.

Not sure how things work in Finland.....

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi
post #8 of 8 Old 07-14-2020, 12:52 AM
Kolak
Vendor

How have you been contacting Ryan? I assume by email? I send people to him all the time and generally he's very responsive so this is surprising to me. I'm not a dealer for his parts but I send people to him because of his excellent reputation.
Timo_90xj and BlaketheSnake like this.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in