Bypassing trans cooler in radiator - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-15-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Over300kZJ
1997 ZJ 

Bypassing trans cooler in radiator

After hours of research I've decided to bypass my trans cooler in the radiator. The reason is ever since I've installed my aftermarket aluminum radiator I've had trans fluid leak from the lines coming in and out of the rad. Replaced hoses and teflon taped threads w/ no luck. I've purchased a tru cool bypass valve that will let the trans fluid warm properly during the ny winters then send fluid to the cooler once it hits 180*. I'm wondering if my aftermarket trans cooler is large enough to handle cooling during lower speeds on the trail. Here's a pic of the trans cooler installed. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-15-2015, 07:08 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Nice pic.

If it's larger than the stock aux cooler you should be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-16-2015, 04:12 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

What gross vehicle weight is it rated for? Size isn't always the determining factor with aftermarket coolers. Some are just more efficient but smaller and they usually cost more. It should tell you what it's rated for on the box or if you know the model number, online.
I used a fin and tube once and although it worked ok, it was very fragile and easily bent to hell. You might want to paint it with a light coat of black as well. It will blend in better.

The second time around I got this plate and fin cooler and it worked great. It's rated for 30,000 gross vehicle weight. Never had a problem keeping the trans cool on it's own. I had a temp gauge installed in the hot fluid line so I knew what was going on. It was a tight fit but I got it to work.
http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automot...n+30%2C000+gvw

post #4 of 8 Old 06-18-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Over300kZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
What gross vehicle weight is it rated for? Size isn't always the determining factor with aftermarket coolers. Some are just more efficient but smaller and they usually cost more. It should tell you what it's rated for on the box or if you know the model number, online.
I used a fin and tube once and although it worked ok, it was very fragile and easily bent to hell. You might want to paint it with a light coat of black as well. It will blend in better.
I believe the one I have is rated 18,000 gvw. I've had it for awhile and it's still in great shape. When I bought it I didn't plan on using it as a stand alone cooler so I didn't pay attention to the GVW rating. Do you think this will be good enough? I don't plan on towing but I do live in the mountains so climbing hills is an everyday occurance.. If need be I'll upgrade to the better trans cooler because it's still a heck of a lot easier/cheaper than a new radiator.

Follow me as I rack up the miles and build my ZJ up for another 300k on Instagram @over300k_zj
post #5 of 8 Old 06-19-2015, 12:43 AM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over300kZJ View Post

I believe the one I have is rated 18,000 gvw. I've had it for awhile and it's still in great shape. When I bought it I didn't plan on using it as a stand alone cooler so I didn't pay attention to the GVW rating. Do you think this will be good enough? I don't plan on towing but I do live in the mountains so climbing hills is an everyday occurance.. If need be I'll upgrade to the better trans cooler because it's still a heck of a lot easier/cheaper than a new radiator.
I'd get a higher gvw just to be sure. Without a temp gauge you won't be able to tell if it is enough. Before I got the 30,000 gvw, I had a smaller one and it was not adequate by itself.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-21-2015, 04:21 PM
greenear
1998 ZJ 

I was looking at putting the standalone cooler on my '98. I destroyed the upper oil line removing it from the radiator yesterday, oooppsie, and finding a replacement looks next to impossible. Did you just run the lines from the feed and return pipes around the rad and condenser then mount to the struts behind the grill?
post #7 of 8 Old 06-21-2015, 04:23 PM
PolkaPower

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenear View Post
I was looking at putting the standalone cooler on my '98. I destroyed the upper oil line removing it from the radiator yesterday, oooppsie, and finding a replacement looks next to impossible. Did you just run the lines from the feed and return pipes around the rad and condenser then mount to the struts behind the grill?
Yes. Bottom line is feed, top is return.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-24-2015, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Over300kZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I'd get a higher gvw just to be sure. Without a temp gauge you won't be able to tell if it is enough. Before I got the 30,000 gvw, I had a smaller one and it was not adequate by itself.
I'll be ordering a 30k gvw cooler soon. Thanks for the advice.

Follow me as I rack up the miles and build my ZJ up for another 300k on Instagram @over300k_zj

Tags
bypass , GVW , radiator , trans cooler , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in