Buying a 1997 ZJ for Overlanding - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
RepBolt
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
this one works
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-360-M...frcectupt=true
but I had the gaskets beforehand, you can get all the ancillary stuff at rockauto
I've been looking at RockAuto for parts. Is there a one-stop-shop guide on the exact part numbers for ZJs (specifically 1997s if it's different)?

As for the maintenance I'll be doing since I picked up my ZJ, here is the list I've composed with your guys' help. Is there anything else I should get checked?

Maintenance:
- Check for leaks (rear, main)
- Replace all fluids
- Tune up
- Check exhaust system
- Oil pan gasket
- Oil pump
- New belt
- New hoses
- Transmission drain/fill and band adjustment
- New dorman pan
- New filters

RepBolt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 01:03 PM
HighLonesome
Web Wheeler
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 8,018
Oil pan gasket is a bear. Heck with all you want to do, you might as well pull the motor. Then you could do the trans input seal, timing cover gasket/front main seal, rear main seal, whatever you want and easily. You'll be draining the radiator either way too.
HighLonesome is offline  
post #33 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
RepBolt
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Oil pan gasket is a bear. Heck with all you want to do, you might as well pull the motor. Then you could do the trans input seal, timing cover gasket/front main seal, rear main seal, whatever you want and easily. You'll be draining the radiator either way too.
I mean I just got my ZJ, so I mainly want to just ensure that it's healthy for road trips. I'll be going camping soon so would hate to be stranded.

I'll most likely start off with a tune up then dive into any larger issues down the road.
RepBolt is offline  
 
post #34 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 06:54 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
 
PolkaPower's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 22,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepBolt View Post
Would anybody else recommend a Hughes plenum kit and if not, what plenum kit would you recommend? I'd like to get this replaced along with my full service.
There is not other complete plenum kit. You can piece a kit together but it will be more expensive.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
PolkaPower is online now  
post #35 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 07:27 PM
HighLonesome
Web Wheeler
 
HighLonesome's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 8,018
The plate and bolts are $70. You can get Felpro gaskets and intake bolts for $57 from Rockauto. That's plenum, intake and TB gaskets. All you need. Just not a fan of Hughes I guess.
HighLonesome is offline  
post #36 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 08:27 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
 
PolkaPower's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 22,524
Hughes comes with a bypass hose and tb gasket too. I've done it both ways and its just less expensive and less pain in the arse to just get the kit.
You should do the valve cover gaskets too.
Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
PolkaPower is online now  
post #37 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 08:33 PM
BeardyHat
Registered User
 
BeardyHat's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Denver
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Oil pan gasket is a bear. Heck with all you want to do, you might as well pull the motor. Then you could do the trans input seal, timing cover gasket/front main seal, rear main seal, whatever you want and easily. You'll be draining the radiator either way too.
I think the oil pan gasket was one of the first things I did and while it was a be of a pain, I don't think it was too terrible. Could probably be done in a day, as long as you've got the jackstands to allow the front axle to drop enough, you can wiggle the pan out.

Replacing the oil pan gasket and the rear main seal for me really slowed down, if not totally stopped my oil leak.

That said, keeping an eye on your oil levels could likely mitigate the issue for awhile.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
BeardyHat is online now  
post #38 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
RepBolt
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
The plate and bolts are $70. You can get Felpro gaskets and intake bolts for $57 from Rockauto. That's plenum, intake and TB gaskets. All you need. Just not a fan of Hughes I guess.
Is getting the Felpro gasket make that much of a difference? Through Hughes, it's just an additional $30: http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...r&partid=30712
RepBolt is offline  
post #39 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 09:25 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
 
PolkaPower's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 22,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepBolt View Post
Is getting the Felpro gasket make that much of a difference? Through Hughes, it's just an additional $30: http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...r&partid=30712
Felpro is excellent quality. That's what I use.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
PolkaPower is online now  
post #40 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
RepBolt
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 33
Just ordered the Felpro plenum kit from Hughes. Going to give that a try.

On another note, I'm on RockAuto and I'm searching through parts and wondering what exactly is the difference between "Standard Volume" and "High Volume"? For example, I'm searching for a new oil pump for my 97 JGC 5.2L and I'm not exactly sure which one I should be getting since there's multiple options under both volume types.
RepBolt is offline  
post #41 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 11:30 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices
 
kg6mov's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cupertino
Posts: 15,798
If you don’t know why you need a high volume oil pump you want the standard one.

If you have a stock oiling system you want the standard flow pump. Melling is a pretty good brand.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline  
post #42 of 48 Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
RepBolt
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
If you donít know why you need a high volume oil pump you want the standard one.

If you have a stock oiling system you want the standard flow pump. Melling is a pretty good brand.
That's exactly what I was thinking lol
RepBolt is offline  
post #43 of 48 Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
RepBolt
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 33
Well I just ordered a bunch of new parts from Hughes and RockAuto for my ZJ. She will be healthy soon!

  • Hughes Plenum Repair Kit w/ Fel-Pro Gaskets
  • Dorman Oil Pan
  • Dorman Water Pump Stud Kit
  • Fel-Pro Oil Pan Gasket
  • Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gasket
  • Fel-Pro Water Pump Gasket
  • Gates Water Pump
  • Gates Drive Belt
  • Gates Idler Pulley
  • Gates Belt Tensioner
  • Hayden Radiator Fan Clutch
  • Melling Oil Pump
  • Strongarm Liftgate Support (R/L)
  • Strongarm Back Glass Lift (x2)
  • Wix Oil Filter

Getting these installed along with a full service. If there's anything else I should get please chime in.
RepBolt is offline  
post #44 of 48 Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM
BeardyHat
Registered User
 
BeardyHat's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Denver
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepBolt View Post
Well I just ordered a bunch of new parts from Hughes and RockAuto for my ZJ. She will be healthy soon!

  • Hughes Plenum Repair Kit w/ Fel-Pro Gaskets
  • Dorman Oil Pan
  • Dorman Water Pump Stud Kit
  • Fel-Pro Oil Pan Gasket
  • Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gasket
  • Fel-Pro Water Pump Gasket
  • Gates Water Pump
  • Gates Drive Belt
  • Gates Idler Pulley
  • Gates Belt Tensioner
  • Hayden Radiator Fan Clutch
  • Melling Oil Pump
  • Strongarm Liftgate Support (R/L)
  • Strongarm Back Glass Lift (x2)
  • Wix Oil Filter

Getting these installed along with a full service. If there's anything else I should get please chime in.
Since you picked up the oil pan gasket and the oil pump, you'll be into the pan, so pick up the rear main seal and do it while you're in there.

Avoid Omix-Ada if you can, I've had several pieces from them that were straight up wrong, including a rear main.

With all the other stuff you got, you're going to be busy for awhile!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
BeardyHat is online now  
post #45 of 48 Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM
BeardyHat
Registered User
 
BeardyHat's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Denver
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardyHat View Post
Since you picked up the oil pan gasket and the oil pump, you'll be into the pan, so pick up the rear main seal and do it while you're in there.

Avoid Omix-Ada if you can, I've had several pieces from them that were straight up wrong, including a rear main.

With all the other stuff you got, you're going to be busy for awhile!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Actually, might also be worth it to do all three mounts too, two motor mounts and tranny mount.

Those were another one of the early things I also tackled.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
BeardyHat is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome