• 4 Post By 1996maroonzjf
  • 1 Post By speedbrake

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-21-2021, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
1996maroonzjf

1996 ZJ 

Garage
Broken Exhaust Stud 5.2 / 5.9 Magnum

After just replacing both heads on my project 5.9, I was doing the final torque down of the passenger side exhaust manifold and of course one of the studs snapped clean off about 1/16" below the surface of the head.

For anyone searching in the future, the (4) exhaust studs are 5/16-18 & 5/16-24 x 2.25" long. The 5/16-18 side threads into the cylinder head and the 5/16-24 side receives the conical washer and nut.

After removing the manifold I used a self centering drill bit tool and a left hand drill bit on a 90-degree drill attachment to drill into the stud. The 90-degree attachment was key to avoid pulling the head as it was tight quarters with A/C lines and the shock tower right in the way next to the head. The self centering tool (usually reserved for woodworking) worked great to avoid any threads and keep the hole mostly centered even when drilling at an odd angle. I used lots of WD-40 to keep the broken stud cool and prevent it from being work hardened. After I had a 1/8" hole drilled roughly 1/2" into the stud I tapped a T-20 torx bit into the stud with a hammer. I then used a 1/4" socket to easily back out the broken stud.

Using the torx bit method worked out way better than I had anticipated. The great thing about this method is that if the bit starts twisting in the broken stud you can just tap in one size larger torx bit. Also, if the bit ends up breaking, it can be easily drilled through since it is not hardened like most extractor bits. Lastly, they have become so common and most people have a handful of different size torx bits that came free in a box of screws.

I had a bit of trouble finding a replacement stud locally, no auto parts stores had the exhaust manifold hardware kits or threaded studs in the correct size - 5/16-18 & 5/16-24 x 2.25" long. I was able to find one at my local Ace hardware that was only 2" long but still worked fine.

There wasn't a ton of info out there on this topic so I thought I would share this win for anyone in the future with this problem. I had to refer to the parts catalog to find the correct size and thread pitches of the studs since searching online pulled up some conflicting info.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0982.jpg   IMG_0984.jpg  
Attached Images

-Tim
(2) '96 4.0s
#1-'10-'18
#2- HP30/Ford 8.8 - 4.56, OME HDs, 5100's, IRO Adj Arms/Track Bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-21-2021, 01:31 PM
wingless

1994 ZJ 

When I did my exhaust manifold replacement I replaced all w/ the OEM screws. Several had threaded posts for the exhaust shield, extending out past the hex head. None were studs.

BTW, nice repair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-21-2021, 01:44 PM
wingless

1994 ZJ 

My Irwin Hanson 11119 extractor set has been very handy for this type of problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-21-2021, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
1996maroonzjf

1996 ZJ 

Garage
Thanks for the response and the great pictures as always, Wingless.

I have attached a screenshot from the 98 FSM showing the location of the bolt, stud bolt (the bolts with the threaded post for the heat shield) and the two threaded studs that accept nuts & washers in the center of each manifold. That's how my 98 5.9 was set up.

I now see a note in the exhaust section saying, "CAUTION: If the studs came out with the nuts when removing the exhaust manifold, install new studs."

I should have replaced the studs from the get go rather than transferring them to the reman heads. The exhaust fasteners had minimal to no rust so I saw no reason to replace them.
Attached Images

-Tim
(2) '96 4.0s
#1-'10-'18
#2- HP30/Ford 8.8 - 4.56, OME HDs, 5100's, IRO Adj Arms/Track Bars
post #5 of 6 Old 10-21-2021, 03:02 PM
wingless

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
When I did my exhaust manifold replacement I replaced all w/ the OEM screws. Several had threaded posts for the exhaust shield, extending out past the hex head. None were studs.

My bad.

Checking my parts listing I found these studs and nuts were ordered / used instead of just bolts, as was previously (incorrectly) posted.

Mopar 0603 4643 Exhaust Manifold Stud 0.312-18 / 0.312-24 x 2.25
Mopar 0603 5184 Stud 0.312-18 / 0.312-24 x 4.125
Mopar 0011 5729 Hex Mounting Nut 0.312 x 24

post #6 of 6 Old 10-22-2021, 12:47 AM
speedbrake
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996maroonzjf View Post
I now see a note in the exhaust section saying, "CAUTION: If the studs came out with the nuts when removing the exhaust manifold, install new studs."
Don't sweat it. Most of us probably would've done the same thing. Thanks for posting the details, especially the stud specs and the torx bit removal trick.
1996maroonzjf likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in