Bridgestone Dueler A/T - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 09-04-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Spetie
1998 ZJ 

Bridgestone Dueler A/T

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any feed back on these tires. Size will be 245/70/17 and going on stock JK rims I got a couple weeks ago. Just thought Iíd get some feedback before pulling the trigger.

Their used but @ 30$ a tire hard to pass up on...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-04-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Spetie
1998 ZJ 

I was also meaning to ask about the rim size. It seems like a lot of people overlanding use a 15-16 in rim. Does this make it a much smoother ride? or is it more of a how things look preference?
post #3 of 30 Old 09-04-2019, 11:08 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

They are adequate tires. Quiet and smooth on pavement, pretty much worthless off-road or in snowy/icy conditions. I had a set I bought from the junkyard, but I would not buy them again, new or used.

For the longest time, 15" tires were the most common size and the least expensive. Some people say 16 tires are on the way out.

15-17" the sidewall is OK for off-road use, in my opinion anything with shorter sidewalls risks getting a pinch flat when off-road.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

post #4 of 30 Old 09-04-2019, 11:26 AM
CatSplat

1994 ZJ 

Garage
Decent pavement tire, never tried off-road. Absolutely awful in snow or ice, so I'd never pay money for a set since that's like half the year here.

1994 5.9L ZJ | IRO 5.5" CPLA | NP242 | 33" Cooper Discoverer STT Pro
The Jeep of Theseus
post #5 of 30 Old 09-04-2019, 12:43 PM
bryan240sx

They're a fine tire for pavement in wet or dry. They are fine on sand and at the beach but aren't great in mud. Minimal experience with snow and ice. My biggest gripe from when I had them (on my Ranger pickup) was that they hold rocks. If you ever go on gravel, you'll be throwing rocks for days. For what you pay, they're grossly overpriced new. But if you can find a deal, go for it. They're not inherently flawed. It's a good all around tire for a daily driver, for sure.
post #6 of 30 Old 09-04-2019, 04:05 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Put sets on my dads old Rams. He lved them. Decent highway traction. Not that great for mud or sand.

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
post #7 of 30 Old 09-04-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Spetie
1998 ZJ 

Dang, thanks for the feedback everyone - seems like majority is on the same page. Are other A/T tires good in ice/snow? this becomes my DD during the wintertime, thought these would be a good pair for me but doenst sound like its going to work out =/
post #8 of 30 Old 09-04-2019, 05:33 PM
winging it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetie View Post
Dang, thanks for the feedback everyone - seems like majority is on the same page. Are other A/T tires good in ice/snow? this becomes my DD during the wintertime, thought these would be a good pair for me but doenst sound like its going to work out =/
If I were to recommend a tire it would probably be a Goodyear Duratrac, at $30 a tire I'd run those generals 'til they were bald.
GW
Spetie likes this.
post #9 of 30 Old 09-04-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Spetie
1998 ZJ 

Bridgestone Dueler A/T

Well I havenít bought them yet, they took my card but I believe that was just to hold them until Friday lol but we will see how that plays out, their good people iv done business with them before.
post #10 of 30 Old 09-05-2019, 03:54 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

BFG A/T's are always a good choice, and Goodyear Duratrac get good reviews. Currently I am running my second set of Kuhmo AT51 A/T tires to replace some Cooper Discoverer AT3, that I also would never buy new or used. The Kuhmos balance well, handle thunderstorms and winter weather very well, and seem to last as advertised.

At $ 30 each, you could give them a try.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #11 of 30 Old 09-05-2019, 06:42 PM
1996maroonzjf
1996 ZJ 

Garage
I actually had really good luck with Bridgestone Dueller KO2s. I bought JK takeoffs in the same size as you posted with less than 500 miles on them. They lasted about 35000 miles before I sold them. I used them in practically every terrain and weather imaginable and I though they did pretty damn well for not having an aggressive tread. They did about as good as any non winter tire in the snow and ice and I don’t remember them particularly bad even in deep snow of a few Chicago winters. I also used them off-road quite a bit and they also did fine aired down on Colorado trails labeled “moderate” which in the rest of the country would be considered hard ie: a trail that looks like a dry riverbed with basketball sized rocks covering the whole thing. I never had a flat on them and drove from Chicago to Denver and vise Versa multiple times towing a trailer in triple digit and sub zero temps. with no issues.

For $30 a tire you can’t really go wrong IMO.
Spetie and winging it like this.

-Tim
(2) '96 4.0s
#1-'10-'18
#2- HP30/Ford 8.8 - 4.56, OME HDs, 5100's, IRO Adj Arms/Track Bars
post #12 of 30 Old 09-05-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Spetie
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996maroonzjf View Post
I actually had really good luck with Bridgestone Dueller KO2s. I bought JK takeoffs in the same size as you posted with less than 500 miles on them. They lasted about 35000 miles before I sold them. I used them in practically every terrain and weather imaginable and I though they did pretty damn well for not having an aggressive tread. They did about as good as any non winter tire in the snow and ice and I donít remember them particularly bad even in deep snow of a few Chicago winters. I also used them off-road quite a bit and they also did fine aired down on Colorado trails labeled ďmoderateĒ which in the rest of the country would be considered hard ie: a trail that looks like a dry riverbed with basketball sized rocks covering the whole thing. I never had a flat on them and drove from Chicago to Denver and vise Versa multiple times towing a trailer in triple digit and sub zero temps. with no issues.

For $30 a tire you canít really go wrong IMO.

Well dang, maybe Iíll end up giving them a shot. Iím in the Ozarks/Southern Missouri area and unfortunately we donít get much snow but the ice around here gets a little out of hand. But the trails/hauling your referring to is very much along the same lines as Iím looking to do. Can I ask what you use now and which you preferred?
post #13 of 30 Old 09-05-2019, 11:41 PM
1996maroonzjf
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetie View Post
Well dang, maybe I’ll end up giving them a shot. I’m in the Ozarks/Southern Missouri area and unfortunately we don’t get much snow but the ice around here gets a little out of hand. But the trails/hauling your referring to is very much along the same lines as I’m looking to do. Can I ask what you use now and which you preferred?
I’m running 255/75/17 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM 2018 JK takeoffs, and 265/75/15 Cooper Discoverer M+S winter tires. I really like the combo I’m running now, but the 4.0 struggles a bit in the mountains even with the 4.56 gears from the tires being bigger.
Spetie likes this.

-Tim
(2) '96 4.0s
#1-'10-'18
#2- HP30/Ford 8.8 - 4.56, OME HDs, 5100's, IRO Adj Arms/Track Bars
post #14 of 30 Old 09-08-2019, 08:09 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

that size 247/70-17 is 30.5" tall, I have that size on my '07 WK Grand Cherokee. They might rub on a stock ZJ....or just be close....if stock with no trimming....on our '98 ZJ which is stock, we have 30"x9.5-15 which fits with no rub anywhere....General Grabber AT2s.
For a good all around tire I'd recommend the AT2s, they are mid priced, are good in any off road condition except mud and are good on a daily driver too.
A step up would be the Goodyear DuratracsÖ..
Also the tires in that pic are E rated...those tend to be very stiff, and heavy, more than is needed for a ZJ or even a WK. If you want an LT rated tire, I'd stick with a "C" rated tire on a 15" rim, that won't ride excessively stiff, will air down very well due to the tall sidewall and won't cost as much as the same tire in a 17" rim size.

I went back and re-read your post....those tires are on stock JK rims....you do realize...the ZJ and JK use totally different bolt patterns....the JK rims...will not bolt up to a ZJ without wheel adapters....I would pass on doing that....just get a nice set of Grabber AT2s in 30"x9.5-15 size and put them on the stock ZJ rims.... they are "C" rated and will do everything except mud or glare ice. I've been using them over 10 years....3 sets so far....cheaper than both the BFG and the DuratracÖ.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #15 of 30 Old 09-08-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Spetie
1998 ZJ 

Bridgestone Dueler A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
that size 247/70-17 is 30.5" tall, I have that size on my '07 WK Grand Cherokee. They might rub on a stock ZJ....or just be close....if stock with no trimming....on our '98 ZJ which is stock, we have 30"x9.5-15 which fits with no rub anywhere....General Grabber AT2s.

For a good all around tire I'd recommend the AT2s, they are mid priced, are good in any off road condition except mud and are good on a daily driver too.

A step up would be the Goodyear DuratracsÖ..

Also the tires in that pic are E rated...those tend to be very stiff, and heavy, more than is needed for a ZJ or even a WK. If you want an LT rated tire, I'd stick with a "C" rated tire on a 15" rim, that won't ride excessively stiff, will air down very well due to the tall sidewall and won't cost as much as the same tire in a 17" rim size.

I went back and re-read your post....those tires are on stock JK rims....you do realize...the ZJ and JK use totally different bolt patterns....the JK rims...will not bolt up to a ZJ without wheel adapters....I would pass on doing that....just get a nice set of Grabber AT2s in 30"x9.5-15 size and put them on the stock ZJ rims.... they are "C" rated and will do everything except mud or glare ice. I've been using them over 10 years....3 sets so far....cheaper than both the BFG and the DuratracÖ.

In regards to JK rims not fitting on stock ZJ bolt patterns I can confirm that you are correct lol. One of the picís iv been using as inspiration mentions the JK rims but not the needed wheel adapters and I just got done measuring to find you to be accurate in your facts haha. Unfortunately I already grabbed them off of FB marketplace on the plus side they let me have the set of 4 for 40$. Iíll just put them back out there and hope to resell them, if not Iím pretty sure I could scrap them for close if not more than I got them for.

I am going for the 30-31in range and have a 2in lift currently in the mail so clearance shouldnít be an issue. In regards to what your saying about rating, what would you think is best for the different terrains (mostly light off road to medium overlanding) but also pulling a decent sized camper around 4K pounds and under 500 lbs on the tongue?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in