Braided brake hoses - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-11-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Braided brake hoses

My rear brakes are starting to squeal. I figure while Im in there Ill go ahead and replace the oe rubber brake hoses. Does anyone have suggestions on pre-made hose kits that will fit with out a bunch of leaking issues?

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-11-2019, 07:41 PM
osgruber327

The rear brake lines are hard, not rubber.
There are no preformed hard lines available anymore, only generic versions that you must bend yourself. Be careful that you get standard threads and not metric. Took me a couple hours to find that out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 12-11-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by osgruber327 View Post
The rear brake lines are hard, not rubber.
There are no preformed hard lines available anymore, only generic versions that you must bend yourself. Be careful that you get standard threads and not metric. Took me a couple hours to find that out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
The hose from the body to the axle is rubber and being I have disk brakes the line from the axle end to the caliper is rubber.

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-13-2019, 07:35 PM
SHeadrick
1998 ZJ 

I purchased the brake line kit from IRO. Installation wasn’t to bad. Currently working on getting all the air bubbles out.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-13-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHeadrick View Post
I purchased the brake line kit from IRO. Installation wasnít to bad. Currently working on getting all the air bubbles out.
Any issues with leaking fittings?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Follow the build!

Quote:
post #6 of 9 Old 12-14-2019, 06:30 AM
SHeadrick
1998 ZJ 

No leaking issues so far, but like I said I’m still getting the brakes bled. The quality of the new parts was good. I suspect if I have an issue it will have to do with the old side of the fitting connection.

As a note you will have to bend the hard line on the rear driver side brake line on the axle to mate up with the IRO brake line connector.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-14-2019, 03:42 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Kolak usually has good options, including IRO. There should be kits available for the rubber line between the body and axle, and the rubber lines at the calipers for the rear disc ZJ's.

I've got a steel braided line kit from him on the bench that's been meaning to go into the green pig for years, maybe I'll just throw it in the white one instead. The quality appears to be very nice.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-15-2019, 01:27 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I built my own using Goodridge parts, zero issues with leaks - brake feel greatly improved from the OEM setup. Not officially street-legal, but 100% guaranteed they work as should. Same parts are used on motorsports and airplanes. They aren't as expensive as one would think, but certainly more than the premade braided hoses.

I've used premade braided stainless steel brake hoses before, and haven't had a single issue with them either. One set was from Quadratec (used in my 5.9 ZJ), the earlier I really can't remember 'cause those I bought back in '06 for my first XJ and reused them on the second one.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #9 of 9 Old 01-02-2020, 08:19 AM
jeepjeepster

Doesn't help you much but I bought the crown performance brake hoses. Yet to install them but them look like quality units.

For whatever reason they do not include or make the hoses for the rear calipers... Only the front two calipers and the hose from the body to the axle. I'm waiting to install the hoses for when I decide to install the big brake kit on my 5.9... I would like to paint the front axle while Im in there and I've not talked myself into it yet....

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in