Bought a "niner" - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-16-2015, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Derek228
1998 ZJ 

Bought a "niner"

Ive been off of here for a long while. sold my 96 gc laredo. the miles were high and the paint was blistering so i let it go while it was still worth something. been driving a station wagon the blower motor went out so i had no ac. was looking for a ford ranger pickup but couldnt find anything reasonably priced. then, i saw an ad for a 1998 grand cherokee 5.9 limited
white, cold ac, low miles...and i bought it.
i'll post pics soon. much to do. nice to be back...in a jeep

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-16-2015, 05:29 PM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

I hope you got a good deal on your white one. If I was near Washington state yesterday, I would've bought what looked like a nice 5.9'r in Deep Slate, with 155k miles on it. It looked sweet, and $2,000! Looked like a deal. I even checked into flights up there, but figured it would be gone fast. Good thing I didn't book a flight.

I hope one of the boys here got that Washington beauty.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-05-2018, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Derek228
1998 ZJ 

Well, this is a hard post to make. After purchasing my 9er, life got real messy. She was a pearl with 102xxx on the odo when i got her. Last summer (2017) the electric fan motor burned up. I wanted to keep it original but ended up installing a flex-a-lite fan with control kit. Major issues...one size fits most with major modifications to the supplied brackets. I was about to fabricate some mounts and run ss threaded rod top to bottom. Then Hurricane Irma hit. I ran an inverter to power my fridge, freezes and fans in the house. My service pole was damaged by the storm. no power 5 days. I fell asleep with the jeep running...the radiator split, overheated the engine, it threw the belt and shut itself off. i woke to the inverter alarm, antifreeze steam, and wanted to cry. Good news: no damage to new fan, more importantly, no damage to engine.
The overheat condition vented the 134a from the ac but recharge fixed that.

Now the bad news...as if that didn't suk bad enough,

Driving home from work 2 days after Thanksgiving, I was hit hard...head on at a 45 degree angle. Her 25MPH vs my 40MPH resulted in bent frame, destroyed front axle, driver side hub/cv axle, power steering box, steering column.

My beautiful stone white 119xxx mile 5.9 Pearl was totaled. I am lucky my neck wasn't broken and that my injuries were not worse than they were. I honestly believe the axle absorbed much of the impact and had it not been a 4x4, I would not be typing this post.

I argued with my wife, convinced I could save the car but I had to face the bitter truth...there is now one less 5.9 one the road.

I found a comparable one in Nevada for $6000.00. The insurance company would not see it my way and I had to accept 1/2 that as compensation. The collectable value is not recognized by their algorithm which calculates car values. I was a tax return away from having it appraised and insured for its full value.

I will someday buy another Jeep. I love the 96-98 body style. Life is still mayhem for me and it will likely be a long time before my next post.

Then again, I do have some (ugly) pictures I could share.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-05-2018, 05:05 PM
jrobeson18

1997 ZJ 

Garage
damn that sucks, I've been hunting for a 5.9 for a few years with no luck. RIP another 5.9.

1997 ZJ 4.0 4x4
5.9 soundbar/hoodlouvers
HID projector retrofit headlamps
post #5 of 6 Old 04-06-2018, 04:17 AM
Junior1210
1996 ZJ 

Sorry about your problems but at least you and your wife are still around and all right.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-06-2018, 06:50 AM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoundel View Post
I hope you got a good deal on your white one. If I was near Washington state yesterday, I would've bought what looked like a nice 5.9'r in Deep Slate, with 155k miles on it. It looked sweet, and $2,000! Looked like a deal. I even checked into flights up there, but figured it would be gone fast. Good thing I didn't book a flight.

I hope one of the boys here got that Washington beauty.

I notice quite a few for sale in the Seattle area throughout the year.. Farely rust free I imagine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in