LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 Old 01-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Mickey_D

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
The combination flasher contains active
electronic integrated circuitry elements. Do not substitute
any other relay for the combination flasher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
The one i got is from Tridon yes. What do you mean by active ones ? Whats the problem with a generic relay ? Cause im not spending $30+ for one at a dealership
Well,for me the $30 for the proper relay is a lot cheaper than replacing the Jeep when the wiring harness goes tits up because the turn signal relay puts too much power through it.

The problem stems from the fact that the combination flasher on a ZJ does both the turn signals AND the emergency flashers. The one you got is for one or the other, not both. That's why on most cars there's two flashers. And also why they only cost $14 max.

1997 ZJ 5.2 Orvis, Baby!
1953 Willys M100 trailer Tagalong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 01-08-2012, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Candymancan
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

No according to the tridon one it says 2 turn signals or 6 flashers and last i looked the flashers were 6 bulbs... So i dont see what the problem is ?

Oh and the dealership one is $80 i was wrong

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...CGRPLAMPAMS___
post #18 of 25 Old 01-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Mickey_D

1997 ZJ 

Your Jeep, do what you want.

1997 ZJ 5.2 Orvis, Baby!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 25 Old 01-08-2012, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Candymancan
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Tell me why you think the tridon one is bad...

It states on there website its for 2 turn signals and 6 flashers... Are you 100% positive that its for one or the other and not both ?

Dont go giving me that attitude "Its your Jeep what do i care" i hate people like that really boils my blood
post #20 of 25 Old 01-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Mickey_D

1997 ZJ 

Well, ratmonkey posted a direct quote from the Factory Service Manual that I quoted. It says it in my FSM as well.

I'll post it again : Do not substitute any other relay for the combination flasher. That's directly from The Book (notice the caps?). The ZJ Bible says it in as simple terms as can be spoken.

Not sure I can explain it any better. When the engineers that designed the systems in your Jeep specifically tell you not to do something, I tend to listen to them. They have no chip in the pot when it comes to profiting from replacement parts. So if they tell you, it's no bonus in their wallet if you do or don't. Same with me. It's not my Jeep.

I was an electronics tech in the US Navy. Trust me when I say that putting the wrong relay in a system can cause some seriously ****ed up results. Most of the time the end result is fried wires. And no offense, but replacing a wiring harness in a unibody vehicle generally is more of a pain in the *** and more expensive than the 14 year old vehicle is worth.

1997 ZJ 5.2 Orvis, Baby!

post #21 of 25 Old 01-08-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Candymancan
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

mm ok then well i dont have the money for a dealership one.. Would it be ok to get one from a JY ZJ do you think ?
post #22 of 25 Old 01-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Mickey_D

1997 ZJ 

That would be my first choice. I'm pretty sure if you don't tell them what it is exactly, you could probably get 3 or 4 for a couple bucks.

1997 ZJ 5.2 Orvis, Baby!

post #23 of 25 Old 01-08-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Candymancan
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Ok i took the triden one out, returned it. Put the old one back in. I'll get a couple JY ones when i have time then. Sadly everything was closed today.. I hate sundays
post #24 of 25 Old 08-10-2020, 12:25 PM
PinpointDiagnos

Alright it's obvious your not getting it. The Triton is only for turn signals or hazards one or the other not for operating both at the sametime. The one they're speaking about is a dual action/active flasher relay that's designed to control both hazards and turn signals through just one relay. The Triton is the type for two flasher relay circuits where there's a hazard relay and turn signal relay each handles their own circuit and doesn't control the other just it's one function. The one they're speaking about is just one relay that basically does the job of both those relays from a two relay system all packed into one smart relay. It's a mini ecu inside thats got a Feta in there/transistor controlling the circuit to tell it whether to perform work for either the turn or hazard and like they said can compensate for variations in the load/resistance/ohms from say Towing lights. It's controlling the switch throw of the relay and determining which to operate. That Triton can't do any of that except just throw on and off simply. And if it stays installed they're right it will fry ur harness and that's a nightmare of a repair to have done its a lot of money for starters and time consuming. Everything in ur dash comes out and engine bay, the entire electrical system meaning all wiring to everything comes out idk if it's sectionalized by junction blocks but still it'll be the entire dash that's getting pulled.
post #25 of 25 Old 08-10-2020, 03:17 PM
4xphate

1994 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinpointDiagnos View Post
STUFF

Only 8 years to late dude.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in